If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Why are people fat?

13»

Comments

• _k__k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    _k_ said:
    less meat, more grain, more vegetables. When you get those weird cravings a day after working out and you just want a tomato or a big apple there is a biological reason so follow it.
    When I say less meat I do not mean less protein. I do not use meat as my main caloric source but I still consume a huge amount of protein. Just from my ramen meal I eat approx. 20 grams of protein, other than that I do eat small amounts of meat every day and use nuts as a protein source in substitution of meat. The other reason I am using nuts is that they are small, protein, saturated fat, and I can eat a large calorie amount without feeling full.

CB: You have to go eat cane to intake cane sugar, or process the sugar out from the plant. The real point I am making is that both of those items have to be extracted and distilled(whatever you want to call it) before they can be place INTO or ON something else. I know brown sugar is tasty but we aren't counting it as a food source:(. Given a choice I would always pick cane sugar when I decide to consume something with added sweetener, which is why I think people should cut back on them or if you are increasing your calorie count make them a smaller percentage.

I didn't look very hard, but are there products that use fructose as a sweetener that do not already have it in it?
  • KemicaKemica B.C Canada
    edited Jun 2011
    Going to hop into the convo here to ask about sweeteners.
    Do any of you have opinions on the supposed healthier alternative sweeteners such as Stevia or Sucralose?

I've been working on removing as much processed sugar from what I eat as possible, but in order to make that transition a bit easier on myself (and thus more likely to succeed) I have been trying Stevia as a replacement for sugar. Especially in things like home made iced tea etc.

A personal review as far as adjustment and taste would be that it is a bit unusual at first, and takes some getting used to, but when used in small amounts, you adjust to it quickly. I find regular sugar in iced tea tastes like syrup to me now, and is quite unpleasant.

As for personal experience on weight gain. I gained a bit of weight over the last few years due to a pretty drastic diet change. I moved from Canada to Denmark. Where my previous diet had been mostly chicken and fresh vegetables, in Denmark it became mostly starches, carbs and pork.

Most people in Denmark are a normal weight, but I found at least to me that they ate much larger portions of food that I didn't really consider healthy.

I have since moved back to Canada and am already dropping weight at a pretty steady pace despite irregular exercise.

I do wonder about the implications this has, as far as regional diet adaptation.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    edited Jun 2011
    In moderation, I think (this is me, speaking) non-sugar sweeteners are just fine in moderation (like most other things). It definitely helps for people who have a sweet-tooth, as it creates a big cut in calorie count without a drastic change in diet.

I dropped 10lb in about 2 months just by switching to diet soda alone.

I really like stevia. The flavor is great and hooked me from the start. The fact that it's non-caloric is just a bonus. It also is supposed to have some additional beneficial effects on mood and energy levels, but I haven't done the research on it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Now that several of us are successfully losing a great deal of weight with a low-carb, high fat diet, I'm wondering if anybody has anything new to add to this fascinating conversation.

TL;DR: Bompz
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    For me... it just seems to be too much processed, low fiber foods. Not enough whole fruit and veg.
13»