X-Ray Mods

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Minecraft
I happened to be logged into the console today when I saw one SCLisi use a command I've never seen before, ixrai12345. After some quick searching, I discovered that this is a client side XRay mod that allows people to see through the world. This seems pretty hackish and unfair to me so I'm bringing it up for a vote. Do we want to allow people to use XRay mods or shall we make them a bannable offense on the server?

(Note: if we choose bannable offense, this will also serve as Lisi's 1 warning)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    It seems like a hack that is against the spirit of the game, but I'm waffling on making it a bannable offense.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    (note that bannable offense doesn't mean instant permaban... it would follow the previously laid down rules... short ban the first time, probation, possibly permanent ban for a repeat offender)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I would just boo people who do it, and call them pansies, but I wouldn't want to make it punishable. Unlike some other cheats, it doesn't hurt my experience for them to do it.
    edited April 2011
    I'd beg to differ on that one... the use of the XRay mod allows them to see where diamonds/gold/etc. are. They can then mine out all the precious blocks far more efficiently than someone who is not using it. I guess if they're using it off in the middle of nowhere then it doesn't really matter but if they're using it near where you're mining, they could be ganking the ore right out from under you.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    IMO It's cheating 100% of the time. I am not OK with this on a server I play on. Even if used "out in the middle of nowhere" that may be a site I come across in the future to mine.

To each their own and if the majority on the server want to use it then so be it.

Edit to add: The way our server is setup is a Survival Server, if you want access to as many resources as you want without "working" for them then you should find a creative server to go on.

-Digi
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    You guys have a compelling argument. We should make it bannable.
  • edited April 2011
    So then what is the rule on fly hacking? As there are fly hackers on the server.
    edited April 2011
    That's a separate issue, but I would be all for showing anyone doing that the b& hammer as well.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    this is ridiculous!! it dosn't hurt anyone so why is everyones pantys in a wad? I swear if SCLisi a.k.a UPS Kingpin gets banned I am done with this server and you guys will have officially killed what was left of such a great community.
    edited April 2011
    plus you want to talk about hack how do certain people have Diamond blocks all over there houses??? I don't see SCLisi with that? if thats not douping i don't know what is.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I explained to the guys in the server just now that I don't use it for ore or anything that gives me any kind of resource-gathering advantage in the game. It's just a helpful mod for winding staircases and connecting floors and not running into rooms in my house. I think this is all very silly, I'm not doing anything that hurts anyone else, and I can remember a time when nearly everyone on the server either had items spawned for them, or duped them. I don't see how this is so much worse that it deserves to be a bannable offense.
    edited April 2011
    Yep, that was back on the old server and world. Part of the reason the world was nuked and started over was because people wanted to start a not-hacked-to-shit world. None of us knew what you were using that hack for and you didn't respond to me when I brought it up in-game chat earlier today so how about YOU don't get YOUR panties in a bunch when you get called out for using a hack?
    edited April 2011
    First off, I didn't say anything about panties in a bunch. I responded cool and collected, so please don't show me disrespect. And I know for a FACT that people were duping on the new server, and I've seen other "hacks" as you call them, even as recently as this week. I'm just stating WHY I use the mod, and why I don't consider it to be as serious as duping items and using other mods, which absolutely has happened on this server. No reason to attack me.
    edited April 2011
    And as far as not responding, I was AFK, idling at the grinder, that I built legit, with diamond collected LEGIT, without using the X-ray mod.
    edited April 2011
    Hey Choke show me the rules that say its illegal.
  • UPSMatLUPSMatL Metal Maniac Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Ive never seen Lisi doing anything to gain things in a wrong manor , we have traded tons of supplies and i have seen him play the game in person at my house for hours at a time ... if he gets banned i WILL NOT be returning to the server cause i know he hasnt done anything wrong
    edited April 2011
    Sorry, saw the UPS part and missed the fact that Hitman was the one being a jerk about things, thought you triple posted.

So then, @Hitman go take a chill pill. Seriously.

@Kingpin - Unfortunately, I have no way of detecting duping at this point. If I did, I'd bring up the issue the same as I did here. It just so happens that xraying is easy to detect (it shows up in the server logs). I happened to be connected to the console when you used it earlier so I brought up the issue.
    edited April 2011
    man whatever
    edited April 2011
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    Hey Choke show me the rules that say its illegal.

That's why I'm bringing it up. It's a hack, and as of the last world reset we wanted to run the server as hack free as possible. You'll notice that I didn't ban anyone and specifically stated this would be a warning situation if we decided we didn't want it.
    edited April 2011
    I totally understand. And I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong by thinking either way. I'm just explaining why I use it and how I use it. And it doesn't put ANYONE else on the server at ANY kind of disadvantage. Come what may, that's the truth.
    edited April 2011
    Your explanation is completely plausible and I'm willing to change my opinion on the matter based on it... provided other people don't start abusing the hack. See? Reasonable discussion yielding results.

@Hitman - if you want to cop an attitude with me when I'm providing free hardware and bandwidth to host this server and am simply bringing up an issue to the community to decide if we want to allow it to continue, then you can find somewhere else to play for all I care.
    edited April 2011
    If anyone knows "For a fact" that someone was duping it should have been/needs to be reported. I was under the impression that was unacceptable on the server.

-Digi
    edited April 2011
    @Ardi, I am done bantering with you. you stay on your side and ill stay on mine and we will agree to dissagree. and you don't have to throw the pompus I am better than you card. I just don't understand how a guy who blows up half the map get away scott free (no offense Strife) and the most loyal guy on the server that has been playing since the beginning get picked on for one stupid xray mod on a game that allows pretty much ever mob in the world. Thats all. I said my peace and we will just see where the votes go.
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I voted for banning Strife after he blew up the world. The majority voted to give him a warning. If the majority voted to let the xray mod be here, then that would be fine with me. I was just bringing up the issue because I noticed it in the server logs.

and never did I say that I was better than you. All I said is I'm donating my hardware and time to run this server and if you can't mind a civil tongue with me then you don't need to use the server.
    edited April 2011
    I love you Hitman but you are coming off like kinda a jackass. The reason Ardi started this thread was for the community to discuss what was happening. No one said anything about banning Kingpin.

Kingpin please report your facts on dupping on our server.

-Digi
    edited April 2011
    Well Bobby I am sorry for coming across that way I am just a little frustrated. so to you Bobby I am sorry.
    edited April 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Kingpin please report your facts on dupping on our server.

As I don't have any concrete proof to put forth, I have to decline. If I had screenshots or video or anything else that could be considered solid evidence, I'd have brought it up before. But I won't name names with no evidence, that wouldn't be fair, and it would more than likely start a heated discussion between myself and the guilty parties.
  • edited April 2011
    Strife blowing up the world is a gross overstatement.
    edited April 2011
    Thank you Kingpin.

Thank you DoubleOBond, I agree. Hitman was a little frustrated.

I think some members were/are confused to the point of this thread. It was simply to bring up the issue. If everyone would have just voted, expressed their opinion one way or there other, Kingpin explained himself, Ardi thanks him for explaining himself, as it stands right now majority says nothing is wrong and the server goes on without issue. End of story.

We have a democratic method here. Whatever the majority rules. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not.

Can't we all just get along? lets show our creativity while

:life:
    edited April 2011
    I apologize for overreacting, For those of you that know me best you know that somtimes I let my emotions get the best of me. I agree with Bobby and I will be fine on however this vote falls.