The Icrontic home studio discussion

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Lifestyle
I've been telling Prime I want to do this for a while now. The purpose is to start a discussion about music production technology. I figured we could start off with this thread and then expand from there and see where it goes.

I think the biggest difference between this forum and other music production forums will be that there are a lot of informed PC users here, which will provide for very interesting discussion that, at the very least, isn't laced with misinformation about the "limitations" of a PC with Windows or Linux over a Mac. This will be the only place I know of where thoughtful debate on the different platforms will not be plagued by the typical "ZOMG Your music is the SuX0RS Because you don't have a Mac!!!" bullshit.

If you're into music production at any level, please join the discussion! I'm actually somewhat of a beginner myself, and this will be a great place for us all to get an education and who knows, maybe one of us will be the next Deadmau5!

Let's start off by bragging about our equipment, software, etc.

f9VFl.jpg
This is my rig. Thinkpad T400, 2.24ghz Core 2 Duo, 8gb DDR3, 60gb OCZ Agility II SSD, 320gb 7200 RPM Seagate HDD. My speakers are M-Audio Studiophile AV20. BEST DESKTOP COMPUTER SPEAKERS EVER. No sound conditioning, great range, simple and small. Just two RCA inputs and a speaker wire that goes between them.

Bfrlf.jpg
My sound interface is a Hercules Deejay Trim 4&6. It is very limited. For example, you have to choose whether you want to use it in 4-in 4-out mode or 2-in 6-out mode. There is only a single balanced input for a microphone, with no phantom power, but it does have two balanced outputs.

RQZa0.jpg
My midi controller is an Akai MPK61. This thing rocks! It uses the same drum pads as the original MPC2000, 8 knobs, 8 launch buttons, 8 sliders, fully programmable and customizable for any interface. There are a lot of things I need, but a new midi controller won't be one for a long time.

Software: I use Ableton Live 8.2.1 and Adobe Audition 3.0 primarily. For VSTs I use Massive, Addictive Drums, Basic64 for chiptune, and Guitar Rig 4. Still working on building up my VST library.

Let's rock!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iIyE3EDCigE?hd=1&quot; allowfullscreen="" width="200" frameborder="0" height="175"></iframe>

Comments

• RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    My setup here is pretty "eh" by most standards more or less. My big badass desktop and my HP Envy17, with a two channel USB - MIDI.

Controllerwise, I have:
    Roland FP7 Digital Stage Piano
    Roland%20FP7.jpg
    Yes, I actually know how to play the piano.

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08
    p8pe_top.jpg
    True analog synth whaaaaaat?

And a crummy Korg nanoPad.

Software wise: Sibelius, Ableton Live, ReBirth, Reason + Rewire, Fruity Loops, and more VSTs than you can shake a tree at.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I remember you telling me about that synth at Oktoberfest, that is so dope. My buddy has a Virus TI, and I would love to get a Virus product someday, but for now I'm straight up all digital.
    edited April 2011
    Root, are you familiar with the Tweakbench VSTs?
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Oh tits!
    I was wondering if I'd see a thread about home/micro studios/music making rigs on here some day.

Swift setup meph, and all running off of a laptop. I love how dynamic and small-scale one can make decently powerful rigs with these days. How are you using FL, as a workplace or as a plugin?
    RootWyrm, that Prophet looks like it'd be an absolute hoot to play with.

My ventures into a home studio haven't produced any great music, but I've been having fun with it for the past few years. Finally got together a fairly decent setup (even built my own desk for it) but not long after moved two times, had 3 crap jobs, wife's job blew up, finished a degree, rig drive blew up and had to be rebuilt, and just generally dealt with life being in the crapper for awhile, so time playing on the rig has been minimal. Back on our feet though and doing well, so we'll see if I can get back to playing around.

This info and picture are from before things blew up (and are skagged from my f3music.com account), but it is very similar to what I've got running now.

new-rig1.jpg

"The PC is now a quad core AMD I found laying around with 2gigs ram and 250g sata hard drive. It has a USB hub, multi flash card reader and CD/DVD burner all external on USB mounted right under the dual screens (how handy!)

The screens are an old ViewSonic 15" that I had to make a power supply for, and a fairly new Hanns-g 19" widescreen which has been awesome and very inexpensive.

Switched from an old M-Audio Delta 66 PCI input card to the newer all-black Line 6 UX2, which has impressed me so-far despite a few glitches with the mic amp. Monitors are the Samson Rubicon R5a's with ribbon tweets and they are sweet as hell and pretty affordable for what you get.

Input-wise we have an M-Audio Axiom 61 midi keyboard using USB to the DAW and on the side an M-Audio Trigger Fingers pad controller which is absolutely a hoot for drums if you're used to tapping out a beat with your fingers.

Mics are both MXL, a 990 on the table and a v67 on the boom, which does amazing things for vocals."

Also, been using FLStudio 7 and up for some time, but now trying out Reaper and finding it awesome and powerful. Guitars are an Epiphone T-bird Bass, Washburn generic stra-alike 6 string electric, and a couple wally-mart specials I got for $30 apiece. Also have a few harmonicas laying around, an old basic acoustic fender 6-string and a very pretty mandolin someone nice gifted the wife. None of it I can play with any skill, but again, this is all just to have fun with.

Was also trying to put together a website to host some of my tunes, but it didn't get to far. Did end up making an account on f3music.com though (http://www.f3music.com/22), which has a scant few of my various crappy music things up on it, but the free account only gives you about 30mb so whaddayawant.
    edited April 2011
    That's a lovely setup, I'm sure it does the trick. It's funny how our project PCs usually just get thrown together from a boneyard of parts and ends up more than serving its purpose.

I just try to use my laptop for everything, so instead of having a home studio PC I just make sure that the RAM is maxed out, added the SSD (by removing the optical drive) and I have a nice docking station that gives me more convenience when I'm home. But I love the mobility of my setup, it's nice to be able to pack up my MIDI controller and sound card and take my whole beat lab over to someone else's house.

I also have another computer with a Core 2 Quad that I use for TV, gaming, folding and other stuff. I've been known to use that computer to record audio from out of my laptop. There is a 32" screen attached to it, which makes it nice to show my waveform while I'm recording.

I'm very familiar with the Axiom keyboards, I used to have an Axiom 25, but opted for the larger Akai MPK61 instead. It's a nice keyboard, but the drum pads on Akai instruments can't be messed with.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    djmeph wrote:
    Root, are you familiar with the Tweakbench VSTs?

Indeed I am. To be honest, my hearing is shockingly intact for my age (tested to 30kHz) so I can actually hear the difference between Tweakbench and real. I've played around a lot with the Tweakbench stuff, but just not really finding what I'm looking for in a sound still. Really though, part of that is that I'm not pure electronic either. I'm just weird. ;)
    edited April 2011
    My next project, I want to make ungodly noise with my guitar. I want to run it through a dozen filters like Justice and Daft Punk and make something that sounds like Truckasaurus.
    edited April 2011
    Today I checked out Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars for Kontact 4.

http://www.samplelogic.com/cinematicguitars.html

Very cool. I recorded this demo with the Les Paul Power Chords instrument.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30387/Cinematic%20Guitars%20Demo.mp3
    edited April 2011
    Alright, we've moved this thread to the appropriate area now. Let's get this thread rockin!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I don't really have a studio or anything, I have a drum kit and a Casio keyboard, but I do like to play around in Siballeus and Cubase. If I can find some of my stuff, I'll post them here.
    edited April 2011
    Another note to how simple home recording can be, the iphone and ipod touch units have become some impressively capable devices for making music. They might never rival a good real interface, but they can still do some impressive things.

The iRig lets you use the idevices as a guitar effects processor, and the results are better then I ever would have given the unit credit for:

Akai even took the docking concept to a whole new level:
    http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation25

Something I've been having fun with when not at home but with some idle time is Music Studio for the idevices:
    edited April 2011
    Gate28 wrote:
    I don't really have a studio or anything, I have a drum kit and a Casio keyboard, but I do like to play around in Siballeus and Cubase. If I can find some of my stuff, I'll post them here.
    Cubase is no joke. A lot of producers I know use it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I don't do much with music but it's something I'd like to dabble with. Got a Kaossilator for Christmas (wanted the Pro but oh well) and have enjoyed making beats with it. I also love messing with basic stuff like Monkey Machine. Maybe one day I'll figure out a way to record the noises and mix them. I haven't done anything like that since college playing with Acid Studio 3. In the mean time, I want a miniKP.
    edited April 2011
    I would really like to get a kaossilator-style midi controller. You see now that more and more, software has x and y axes that can be assigned to different effects and controlled through a touchpad surface. I even have an app on my phone that acts as a Kaossilator that emulates a Roland 303. It has distortion, filters, pitch, attack, release, speed, cutoff, resonance, oscilator type, and phase controls that are controlled by the touch screen. That's one thing that's missing from the Akai midi controllers, but Novation has them.
    edited April 2011
    NullenVoyd wrote:
    Another note to how simple home recording can be, the iphone and ipod touch units have become some impressively capable devices for making music. They might never rival a good real interface, but they can still do some impressive things.

The iRig lets you use the idevices as a guitar effects processor, and the results are better then I ever would have given the unit credit for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTP3dZEaFhM&feature=related

Akai even took the docking concept to a whole new level:
    http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation25

Something I've been having fun with when not at home but with some idle time is Music Studio for the idevices:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFOZWfAu_8&feature=player_profilepage

This is why I'd like to eventually get an iPad2. However, for now I'm actually really happy with the synths and beat tools that are available for WebOS.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2011
    I've just started dabbling. But I've gone the Apple router (since I had the stuff anyway) Garage Band on the iMac with a few sample libraries. Also I have Garage Band iPad and just waiting for my Apogee Jam to come in so I can connect my Guitar to it (iPad and iMac that is).

I suck at the music and that's probably sugar coating it. But still with this simple setup I have a very large array of tools at my disposal. The things I like about this setup are that it's simple and pretty intuitive to get into. But the tools regardless of where I'm recording are the same and the files I'm generating are easily transferable back and forth. Next thing I'm planning on adding is a simple midi drum kit because using drum samples gets kind of boring.

Though speaking of samples for anyone with Garage Band if you haven't got it yet NIN has put out a bunch of fully sampled tracks for it (as well as some other music software). They are great tracks to really cut your teeth with mixing things around because they have a lot more diversity then most sample packs that you can get.
    edited April 2011
    I don't know a whole lot about Garage Band. I seriously doubt it would meet my needs.
    edited April 2011
    I'm not trying to suggest Garageband can compete with Ableton. But for starting out and not really knowing anything it's fairly full featured and covers the basics, multi-tracks, multi-instruments, multitudes of ways to tweak sounds etc... Does what it needs to do, especially for someone who really doesn't know what it is they need.

Where the debate could go is in comparing Ableton Live to Logic Studio, which is Garagebands bigger brother. Still though that's not the real purpose of this thread. I was just voicing up.
    edited April 2011
    Logic is great, although only available for Mac OS, I know people who swear by it. The program I use in lieu of Logic is Adobe Audition, which is the next evolution of CoolEdit Pro. I mean, there's also Pro Tools and other multi-track editing software, but the key with these programs is to have good sound quality and Audition definitely delivers that. Ableton is not necessarily a great program for recording multi-track songs, it's better for its sequencer and samplers. So, the debate really comes down to what equipment you're using. If you have a ton of analog synths, rackmounted synths, etc. Logic is going to be your best bet for a Mac, and probably either Audition or Pro Tools for PC. Most people I know use Ableton for sequencing and MIDI tools, and use other programs for higher quality recording.

I could see someone using GarageBand to kind of get their feet wet, and I think it's a great stepping block. I see more value in using garage band on the iPad though where you could use it as a live instrument, which is what I'd like to do eventually. But, I think I also like the idea of just using an iPad as a simple instrument, like a kaosillator-style pad. I've also heard you can download an MPC emulator for them, and that would be really tight.
    edited April 2011
    Last piece of music software I used on the PC was Cakewalk 8 I think. I'll take the simplicty of Garageband any day.

Where the ipad version of Garageband shines is that not only can you use it as a simple instrument for guitar, drums or keyboard. You can connect a real guitar to it and then use it's various peddle tools on a real guitar which is very cool. You can even set it up to use as a pre-amp so Guitar -> Ipad -> Amp. Lots of fun.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I've seen that and it's really neat. I would love to see an Ableton concept for iPad. Because I love all the guitar effects and processors in Ableton. I have played live before with my guitar running through my laptop. Would much rather run it through a portable device.

Software has come a long way since Cakewalk 8, both on Mac and PC. With the advances in software and controlling devices, it isn't much more difficult to produce with professional software than it is with garage band.
    edited April 2011
    Garage band is a great piece of software from what I've heard, and simplicity and ease-of-use are total bonuses if it helps you make music. Much as I like tinkering with settings and controllers and midi sends and receives, it can be frustrating to have to program up a set of instruments and effects if all I want to do is lay down an idea.

On a separate note, no matter how you make music, as long as you can get it into the computer, you can capture it and share. One excellent free and very capable utility is Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Open-source and full of awesome, it can do a great many things for capturing audio. Almost no matter what platform you use, it has a version. Check it out, record something and share it with us!
    edited April 2011
    I've used Audacity. The problem is that there is no inherent ASIO support without using ASIO4ALL or compiling your own binaries. This is probably not the forum for complaining about having to compile binaries, but Audacity also lacks a lot of features. For instance, I don't think I've ever recorded any piece of audio without some kind of post-processing. Pro Tools, Logic and Audition all offer a wide variety of simple, but powerful tools for removing noise, pops, normalization, compression, amplification, vinyl restoration, time stretching, pitch stretching, etc. Great tool for beginners, but I feel that creating an entire song is actually more difficult than it would be with mid-level or professional software.

Also, when comparing Garage Band to mid-level and professional software, it's really not fair to say that it's any more simple than a program like Ableton. One of the great things about Ableton is that it's pretty much a shovel-ready program. You may not even have to setup your audio hardware, depending on what you're using. (ie. built-in sound on a laptop or MBP) A MIDI controller isn't even required to make a full song, but as long as your MIDI controllers are connected before you startup the program they are automatically mapped and assigned to new MIDI channels. And you can start dragging, dropping, chopping and arranging samples without having to even figure out the tempo of the samples, in most cases. I would argue that Ableton gives you every bit of simplicity that you get with Garage Band, but has an entire suite of studio functions, instruments, effects, and samplers that are both powerful and intuitive.

FL Studio is a bit different. It is capable of doing just about anything a professional production suite is capable of, and has some unique features that can be difficult to replicate in other programs. It's really easy to use with the built in instruments, loops and effects, but not as intuitive when it comes to sampling. I know a couple of drum n bass producers here in Detroit that swear by it, but they both say the same thing. That the key to using FL Studio is to use it in a way that your end result doesn't sound like a song that was produced in FL Studio.

I think there are two key things to think about when you're trying to decide which software you're going to use, and even if you're going to use software at all.

1. You should be able to sit down with the program and create music right away. I had this experience with Ableton, moreso than any other program I attempted to use. That isn't necessarily going to be the same for everyone. For instance, someone who is used to using analog equipment might be more comfortable with Reason.

2. It shouldn't be easier for you to make the same music in another program. So even if you know how to use a program well and can hit the ground running with it, you're not wasting your time doing complicated tasks that are automated in other programs.
    edited April 2011
    Turn the Akai APC40 into a step sequencer.
    http://www.ableton.com/pages/max_for_live/apc_step_sequencer

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="774" height="465" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lkjLwv5c_dQ?hd=1&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    <div align="center"><object width="600" height="600" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0&quot; classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param value="http://www.sembeo.com/media/Matrix2.swf&quot; name="movie"><param value="high" name="quality"><embed width="600" height="600" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&quot; quality="high" src="http://www.sembeo.com/media/Matrix2.swf"></object><br/></div&gt;
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Okay, that needs a clear button. Also, I want to play with it on a touch screen.
    edited April 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Okay, that needs a clear button. Also, I want to play with it on a touch screen.
    F5?

I have something similar to that on my phone. Would definitely be cool to get that going on a tablet device.
    edited April 2011
    Do this.
    OF1Vx.png
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    click a square again and it goes away.
    edited April 2011
    That is cool. Reminds me of Soundrop for iOS. Love that ap.