Rail system consolidation project

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Hooray! Wife is going out of town at noon - will have tome to work tonight
  • Bad-Mr-FrostyBad-Mr-Frosty Member
    edited April 2011
    At the grand central station the left most rail (the one without the sign) was blown up a little down the line. I didn't have tracks to repair it and the fences are gone around it.

Also, for what it's worth, boosters aren't as powerful as the old fashioned way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBxBXqZRAHQ
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited April 2011
    Barren isles station is now 100% powered rail. Looks a bit cleaner now and is completely immune to server restarts:D
    edited April 2011
    I'm online right now, cleaned up barren islands quite a bit. It's extremely clean now. Will redesign later to do a "stop" if needed - but there's a better way to do it with detector rails than the V that was there. You're wasting a ton of booster sections, check out the official MC wiki.

Grand Central is done, need to rebuild the Arrivals gate.

East line is half done.
    edited April 2011
    East line is done, both directions.

North line is done, both directions.

South line is done, both directions.

Putting signs up...
    edited April 2011
    4 Sisters Mtns. station done

Grand Central done

IC Town station done
    edited April 2011
    booster segments will get you out to feather grinder. Ran out of gold.
    edited April 2011
    Make sure you watch the video Bad Mr frosty posted before laying track. For max speed you need a powered track going up the hill, not before it.
    edited April 2011
    intention wasn't to get max speed, was to maintain the current speed of the cart.

The North Line's Barren Islands stop has been put back to the way it was - if anyone wants to bask in the glory of Strife's genius, stop in! I can't verify the functionality of the North line anymore, fyi...
    edited April 2011
    I don't really see why we have to be insulting. Other people besides you verified there was a problem with your boosts, and it was fixed.

Edit: And by all means, come ride the north line, its got a nice little stop, and if you want to keep going, simply press a button, no need to get out of your cart.
    edited April 2011
    What have you done to deserve any kind of treatment? You've been a nonstop trainwreck. Sorry, but no.

Ah, we went from this design:
    2011-04-28_23.30.53.png

to this:
    2011-04-28_23.34.25.jpg

so you don't have to get out and can continue on to your own area. Nice. For you.

How does this allow for other people's lines again? As I said in-game, I could make Grand Central one platform with a giant switch panel, but the idea is to keep things simple for people other than me, and to allow for expansion at each station. But, as usual, you don't consider that. Doesn't even occur to you.

The missing booster on the North line is a completely separate topic that you're hoping will justify making the station work better for you alone. It doesn't. Thanks for fixing it, but no.
  • edited April 2011
    Team up

Build this

http://youtu.be/h3J2Gf1dVm4
    edited April 2011
    What have you done to deserve any kind of treatment? You've been a nonstop trainwreck. Sorry, but no.
    Cool story, I actually laid most of the track for gorzo's line. Glad you added it without hesitating :D.

I'm glad you verified that the rail station works, although I can see you did not ride it very far, or you would have seen it does not stop anywhere yet, the stop stations still have to be built.
    How does this allow for other people's lines again?
    They can get out of the cart and get on them. I see you cant make your point without being rude, so I'll just list the advantages:

Technocrat's System:
    • Has to get out of cart to do anything
    • Uses lines of boosts before hills, cart speed decreases uphill (very little momentum is stored in boosted carts)
    • Starting boost inconsistent and occasionally temperamental. (boosters are far better at accel from slopes than flat ground)
    Strife's System:
    • Express line - Stay in cart and press buttons to continue out to -1000 or farther, otherwise remove cart and continue as normal
    • Uses boosters on hills, carts maintain max speed uphill
    • Start boost accelerates carts consistently, and is not 100% dependent on perfect cart placement.
    Both systems bring a cart to a stop at a station, both allow for other lines to be added by getting out of the cart and placing it on a different track. Glad you admitted there was a problem with your line here, rather than re-iterating on the server how "it works for you" despite no one else being able to get up hills...
  • edited April 2011
    IF you could please add my subway line to the map

(-4483,3464) South Travel

(-4187,3464)East Travel

(591,2000)South Travel

(591,421)East Travel

So about 8297 blocks in total,

It's a line to the northestlery castle
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    25 blocks of iron placed in grand central drop box
    edited May 2011
    wooow, thanks.
    edited May 2011
    As all track so far added to the IC map are now connected to the main rail system (aka everything is now 'consolidated') I'd like to go ahead and ask who would like to be on the first express line for the new rail station?
    I know some people have bases (digi) almost prohibitively far out on the map, and would like to know if they would like their co-ords on the system.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Request: Something like This at the T off of the eastern line (Easter road and 1st Road) to Digiworld.

Ideally it would allow for a spur off to Digiland down Skeleton road and if I understand SS correct possibly all the way up to Blue Mine.

I'll get you guys coords if you have no idea what I am talking about.

I also have materials to donate to this project. If we had a line that went down the full length of skeleton road, past the skele grinder, past PvP island.... all the way up to Blue Mine, it would make an amazing ride, 1000s of meters.

-Digi
  • edited May 2011
    I was thinking about adding some sort of line so you could get to the bat grinders from the main rail system, it could be one of the express lines from grand central that could go out there and have a stop at the grinders.
    edited May 2011
    A line going through Digiland, down skeleton road would go right past the Bat grinders also.

Another option is an extension off of Town station to go down 2nd road to Digiland, on to Skele road... so on.

From Skeleton road on, the roads are all stairs or half blocks. We will need to either replace one side with cobble for a base or add a row on the side to run track.

Request if building on Skeleton Road and beyond, build on the South side of the road as if you go down the north side you will run into a couple of things. When you get to the T at Blue Mine Road I request building on the East side for the same reason. If you guys want I can lay the foundation all the way and you would just have to lay track.

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    A foundation would be great, as well as some co-ords to make sure we're all building on the same line.

As for the rail switching/T system, I have a button/delay system that's essentially a 2-way version of GC that i'm working on.
    The main advantage of this being for through traffic a button on the right side will always move you forward on the rail, wheras the left side will switch you over to an alternate track.

It might sound complicated, but all you need to do is read and press a button and it will get you there. I don't really like how a switch like this would need to be changed even if you wish to go the same direction
    edited May 2011
    Coords

Eastern Line Ts with 1st Road at: -19, 66, 64

1st ends at Digi Station: 177, 76, 41

Skeleton Road goes back and Ts with Blue Mine Road: 180, 76, -194
    To the left is The Skele Grinder
    To the right is PvP Island and way out is The Blue Mine

Blue Mine road hits a 90 degree arch at 2953, 79, -195

Bottom of Stairs to the entrance of The Blue Mine: 2971, 79, -708

-Digi
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited May 2011
    There is a spur that goes off near IC Mountain that travels in the direction of my system of forts and near CB's village. I believe TT placed most of the tracks for it, and I just powered them and made a platform to connect directly to my central fort hub. If you ride at night keep in mind you may get shot.

Relevant Cords:

Beginning of spur of IC MT: x:5, z:459
    End of spur, beginning of spur to my forts: x:-379, z:1329
    @ Fort Hub: x:-747, z:1308
    edited May 2011
    I've created a box at Digi Station, I've put 36 iron blocks and 8 gold blocks 126 logs and lots of redstone. This is to be used for ic rails as needed.

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    Awesome guys, I'll have to work on the map of the IC rail system today a bit,
    as currently the west line goes 400 blocks north, and the north line goes 1000 blocks west.
    XD funny how it was planned

Also, added fences to the chest at branmyson's area. use as needed to help make that line safer.
    now off to map the digi area...
    edited May 2011
    finished the first T at the East line to Digi station, and the second T at skeleton rd and blue mountain.
    A few mobs are spawning near the beginning of skeleton rd, so untill it gets torched, be careful riding it.

Edit: I used up all the iron digi. So far the rail goes somewhat to the left on blue mine road, I didnt really work on that much. In the other direction I built a funny looking station on PVP island, and continued the rail out as far as I could. I'll see how far it goes with the Iron I have.
    edited May 2011
    The Line To Blue Mine is now open!
    Take the East Line (Green), continue at Digi station, Make A right at the first T, And continue at the PVP island T. You'll get to Blue Mine...Eventually
    edited May 2011
    Holly crap that was fast. First let me say big Thank You SS.

Second, can we move Digi station.... inside Digi Station? :-P I fully understand that some walls will need to be puched through and I appreciate that you went out of the way to not go through my creations. Feel free to punch through anything that needs to be. I am also fairly confident there is nothing directly below the station if needing to dig down.

I'll hop on tonight and maybe take a crack at moving it if no one else does by then.

Also of note, the ride to Blue Mine is more then 1000 meters so take a ride = get achievement. I didn't know you could get achievements on SMP and accidentally got it when exploring the subway that starts under town.

Out of curiosity SS, there was a chest on the left side of Blue Mine Road in a cave (w/ 3 dogs) pretty far out there, did you go around it? I believe it was protected, I meant to move it before you made it out there but I guess the Super is not just a clever name.

Mine on my brothers! You guys kick ass.

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    I'll see what I can come up with to make the station look good inside Digi station. Its most likely going to involve a large amount of redstone, and will probably have a line from town as well.

I moved your chest just to the right of the track, and laid down some cobble so you can still walk around to the dogs.

I got the minecart achievement while testing the track for continuity, which was pretty funny as the track is actually around 3000M in length or so, and takes roughly 5 minutes to travel.

While I was out there I found a huge bridge that belongs to someone or other? It was missing stone so I went ahead and added it. Let me know if you want track over that.
    edited May 2011
    Project just got expanded:

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/68693850062995456
    Notch wrote:
    From my changelist: "* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!)"