New Computer Build

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Hardware
I just grabbed the first part of my new computer build yesterday. An Antec DF-35 and had a couple of questions about what motherboard and processor version I should get.

I've already decided on the processor, an AMD 1090t just not to sure if should get the black edition or not. I've noticed quite a few of the higher end motherboards I've been looking at come with something to unlock CPU cores. Should I invest in the black edition or just get the regular one with a motherboard that has an unlocker? Any motherboard suggestions??
Also, any idea on the voltage of power supply I should be getting?

Once everything is said and done I want my computer to look pretty much like this..

Case: Antec DF-35
CPU: AMD 1090t
RAM: 8 gigs DDR3
GPU: 1gb nVidia GeForce 9800GT
Hard drives: 160g & 500g & A terra
Motherboard: ???
Power Supply: ???

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    If you intend to overclock, get the black edition. If you don't want to overclock, don't get the black edition.

Unlocking CPU cores only applies to a select number of AMD CPUs, none in the class of products you're looking at.

For motherboards, I recommend the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5.

And as for the PSU, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W. That unit is a good balance of price/performance, and should last you a while given your upgrade habits.

//EDIT: You mentioned in another thread that you were interested in purchasing an SSD. Do you want some advice for that as well?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Six cores for around $200 you just can't go wrong no matter what you select. The only question is if you want to wait just a while longer to see what Bulldozer brings to the table?

What is the goal of the system? Gaming, multimedia, content creation?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Definitely plan on overclocking, my current comp is not capable of it and I want to get back in to the game. Black edition it is!

As far as the motherboards go, I was actually looking at the exact model so that's good!

PSU, that's a fair chunk of change for a power supply. Will prob not go with that exact model but 700W is about the range I should be aiming for?

p.s. Yup! Give me all your SSD knowledge!

Edit: Goal of this computer? HD Gaming with dabbling into video editing and texture/map creation
    edited May 2011
    Any cheaper than about $80 and you start to drift into the "not worth the money" territory. I can suggest alternatives, but I wouldn't buy into them myself. $90 ain't bad. :/

As for SSDs, the 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 is the best bargain in the SSD UNIVERSE!
    edited May 2011
    True, 90$ isn't that bad but it wasn't really factored into the budget. I'm attempting to do all this with about 600$ (minus HDDs and the video card since I'm going to steal them from my current one). Going over isn't that much of an issue but I'll loose a bit of pride if I do :-/
    edited May 2011
    List the parts you need, and the cash you have left, and I'll see what I can do.
    edited May 2011
    ~$500 left (of the original 600)

AMD 1090t (or similar 6 core AMD cpu. Maybe the 1075?)
    8 Gigs DDR3 Ram (not gonna need anymore then 8 so sorting it into 4 slots is ok)
    Motherboard
    Power Supply

Made a bet I could build a top of the line computer with $600. If it's not happening that's cool but it'd be nice to show it's possible!
    edited May 2011
    With the system you are planning to build a quality 80 plus rated 500 watt power supply will get it done, but if your really planning on having solid over-clocking headroom and would like the option to upgrade your graphics in the future, you should think about what Thrax is saying. 700 watts may seem like overkill, but it puts you in a position of being able to do what you want later on. I've used OCZ power supplies with success, I've also gotten really solid service from Antec and Corsair. A good quality power supply is going to cost at least $60 on newegg unless you have really meager system requirements.

For a quality no frill's 550 watt unit, you might consider this. If your going to stick with a single mid range graphics card going forward, you will be fine, but it could limit your upgrade options down the road, something to keep in mind.
    edited May 2011
    I've been able to come across 600W 80 plus power supplies for 54$ (XPower-Pro 600 and OCZ 600W STEALTHXSTREAM) so that should do it. A little bit of room but still trying to stay in budget
    edited May 2011
    Another thing to consider, does your workload demand the extra cores? If your looking for a play thing to overclock maybe this, and this?
    edited May 2011
    Another thing to consider, does your workload demand the extra cores? If your looking for a play thing to overclock maybe this, and this?

The HD gaming demands the extra cores (The game is APB:Reloaded if anyone is wondering) and while running emulators it would definitely help out. As far as texture, map creation and video editing the more cores the better
    edited May 2011
    After looking around I've decided to go with an AMD Phenom 2 975 Black edition and Asus M4N98TD Evo AM3 NF980A. Will be picking up both today and putting some pics up after I install them into my case...

Came to the realization that with the amount of other stuff besides gaming I'm going to be doing it's not really worth going for the 6 core. Overclocking is more important at this point...

EDIT: Went and got the motherboard, CPU and nice stick of Cossair Vengance 4gig RAM. I'm going to be coming in under budget by about 50$ (Including taxes) after I get the power supply saturday. Got a AMD 965 quad and an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO since the price was right
  • edited May 2011
    I would suggest the Antec Earthwatts 650 for $64.99 and free shipping for your psu. It's decent quality and I have seen this recommended multiple times on the jonnyGURU forums for a good solid, inexpensive psu. The specs also show that it can carry it's whole rated load on the 12v rail too, which pretty much indicative of a modern psu design. It's 12v rating is also 100 watts higher than the OCZ model Thrax linked to and it has the same 3 year warranty as the OCZ.
    edited May 2011
    Here are the pics so far. Since I saved money on the CPU and Motherboard I was able to get the RAM as an extra. This in turn has set up more then enough budget room to get a 700W PSU and come in way under budget...
  • edited May 2011
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    Here are the pics so far. Since I saved money on the CPU and Motherboard I was able to get the RAM as an extra. This in turn has set up more then enough budget room to get a 700W PSU and come in way under budget...

If that's the case, then I would suggest the Corsair TX-750 V2 for $104.99 and also has a $15 rebate, dropping it down to $90. Shipping is free on it too. This psu did excellently in tests on jonnyGURU (9.5/10 rating) and HardOCP (Silver Award) and you get a relatively inexpensive psu that gives you almost 80+ Bronze performance, plus a 5 year warranty.
    edited May 2011
    I'm not too keen on buying stuff on newegg. It's usually more expensive then the place I go to plus I have to worry about getting it shipped...this is basically the power supply I'm going to go for. It's got a decent price and a fair bit of peripheral cables which I'm going need a lot of. Need 4 right off the bat for the fans on the case...

Side Note: Upgrading from 32 to 64 bit is a pain in the ass. I hate doing back ups :(
    edited May 2011
    Since we are all talking about new builds, I just purchased a new case and am in the process of transferring the main gaming rig. I'm really excited about the case, its probably the nicest one I have ever owned.

shot_2_glass.png
    edited May 2011
    That's a pretty sweet case! What did it cost you and how many fans does it have?
    edited May 2011
    It's the Corsair Graphite 600T special edition. It was $179 on newegg, and it has a big 200 mm intake on the front, a big 200mm exhaust on the top, and a rear 120mm exhaust. It looks even better in person, its a sharp case, I really dig the cable management features with all the grommets, the quick release on the side panels, the hard drive trays are even completely set to take 3.5" drives without picking up a single tool, just bend em a bit, pop the drive on, done. There is a huge cutout behind the mobo for any cooler retention plate you could ever desire. A part that pops out up top if you want to install a radiator. There are integrated fan controls. Also the white with black trim is just so sharp in person, I'm really pleased with it, I'm going to re build this weekend. I'll get some pics up as I get it together.
    edited May 2011
    Wow! Those are some pretty big fans and I thought the 140mm I had on my antec were huge!
    Integrated fan controllers are a must. The case I picked up has them and It's going to do a world of good once overclocking is happening!

Got any idea what the rest of the build is going to look like? You going to be overclocking in that case? I think you should!
    edited May 2011
    I have a nice ECS 890GX mobo, a six core 1055t with a special binning that is rated at 95W TDP at stock clocks. I have a pair of really nice looking black Asus Radeon 6850 graphics cards with a nice looking heat pipe. It should look sharp, mostly black internals to set off the white. Even my Ram has black PCB's.

I've over-clocked this system a bit, but honestly, I'm really pleased with how it runs stock. I know there are faster systems, but I'm getting great service from what I have and it all has stayed very cool in the past.

Your going to love that Phenom II 975. I ran the 955 for a while, and it was a great over-clocker, easy to to do too with the unlocked multiplier it gives you allot of flexibility. As mature as that chip design is now, I bet you will get a really great over-clock, I've read most people are doing over 4.0 without even trying that hard.
    edited May 2011
    I actually got a 965 but it's close enough. I was reading some overclocking records today and people have gotten over 7 GHz with it (using liquid nitrogen but still). 4 should be no problem with the amount of stock fans. Plus the cooler that came with it has copper pipes that rest on the CPU to divert heat to the heat sink...

It's gonna be great when it gets up and running!!

(Have you used the 1055t yet? Opinions? I was going to go for a 6 but I decided a 4 would be more beneficial for gaming...)
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, the thing that lured me to that particular six core chip was the special binning 95W TDP for six cores operating at 2.8 a piece is just a magic sweet spot for performance without having to run hot. I was looking for that balance. For a seasoned overclocker, I think you make the better decision with the 965, it will provide you a much easier chip to overclock and get better overall performance.
    edited May 2011
    4GHz is very difficult on an air-cooled Phenom II. Most top out at 3.8, and only with a great cooler.
    edited May 2011
    If I hit 3.7ish I'll be happy. I'm sure that'll be feasible with 3 120mm, one 140mm and a CPU fan but I'll await Mr Thrax's opinion. I await your AMD knowledge!
    edited May 2011
    The case is only part of the equation. The CPU heatsink is vastly more important.
  • edited May 2011
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    I'm not too keen on buying stuff on newegg. It's usually more expensive then the place I go to plus I have to worry about getting it shipped...this is basically the power supply I'm going to go for. It's got a decent price and a fair bit of peripheral cables which I'm going need a lot of. Need 4 right off the bat for the fans on the case...

Side Note: Upgrading from 32 to 64 bit is a pain in the ass. I hate doing back ups :(

Sorry to say, but that psu isn't playing in the same court. FSP Epsilon based, if I'm not mistaken. And Epsilon units have had problems with ripple in the higher ranges. That is the same psu as here on Newegg, and if you look at the pics at the label pic, they don't even give you a max 12v rail rating. You are better going with that Antec Earthwatts 650. BTW, I have no vested interest one way or the other with any psu company. I just recommend what I think would be the better choice, and to be frank, OCZ has a bit of a checkered past with power supplies. Some have been stellar and some have been really meh to borderline.

And Thrax is right about your heatsink and overclocking your system. Read some reviews and ask about your choices when you have narrowed it down. I test in Intel systems but have seen a lot of the AMD mounts that go with the heatsinks and probably tell you whether they have a good AMD mounting system or not.
    edited May 2011
    Went with an 700W OCZ Modstream Pro but...it won't post
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited May 2011
    From personal experience avoid Patriot PS series of SSD's. Switched to OCZ Vertex 2 and can't believe the difference.
    edited May 2011
    THE END RESULT

CASE: Antec DF-35 - $92.99
    MOBO: Gigabyte 870AUD3 - $117.99
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE - $134.99
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4Gb DDR3 - $54.99
    PSU: 700W OCZ Modstream Pro - $80.99

Total Price: $544.61 (Including tax)

All in all I think it worked out well. My original budget had tax extra and 4 gigs more in RAM but for now it's perfect. With the amount remaining another RAM stick wouldn't be a problem at all!