IC NGN: Nether Gate Network

colacola part legend, part devil... all manBalls deep Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Minecraft
Ok peeps, we have hell in our server, now we must manage it with courage, with pickaxes, and with obsidian! I'll be putting togeather a rough map of locations of nether gate locations in and out of the nether. Post the coords and which world they're located in within this thread and I'll do my best to compile the data :D

Comments

• edited June 2011
    [163, 117] (Real world outside my house) links to Strife's portal in the nether (i don't know why...) and that is at [-108, 23] in the nether.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Nether portals behave strangely. Tl, dr; you can end up thousands of meters away in the overworld under certain circumstances. Best to manually build a nether portal near the corresponding overworld portal location (by dividing overworld x and z by 8).
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    I made the first portal for the server, so it placed it really close to 0,0. Then, when it did a search for available portals, it linked your RW to that one I think. I actually entered nether from my base in the east, then Gated back to your place cobra. If it was reliable, it would be awesome, as that is covering around 1000 blocks per leap.
    edited June 2011
    Close to where I wanted it. For those that dont know, this is Blue mine.DrCiC.png
    edited June 2011
    gr0U8.png
    KvGgv.png

I should really make the names the same. I give you the Midnight Express, the first RW to Nether Line.

And heres the cool part: Trip from GC (150, 70, 75) to Blue mine (2971, 79, -708) only takes 1:48. This of course may change as more gate go up, as so far just jumping into the netherportal moves you around 200 N blocks, which means if the gate lined up correctly from nether, you would be transported 1600 RW blocks simply by entering the Netherbase.

That being said, it might be possible to manually destroy the nethergate for blue mine and increase the warped distance even further, of course at the cost of having less resolution of the nethergate.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ya my portal linked to one north west of my property, I wanted to go in and set up my mine but this is going to take some effort to get it in the right place and see if that will reset the connection.
  • edited June 2011
    Also, I found a bug in case anyone is interested. I think it might be bukkit's fault or whoever does the /home plugin, because whenever you /home from the nether (well first of all it doesn't bring you to your home, it seems to correspond to 0,0. (Not true, See my next post) Then you can /home from there) you get healed back to full health.
  • edited June 2011
    Ok been doing some work, here's what I got so far:

NOTE: if you /home in the nether, it will take you to the coordinates in world you were just at in the nether. So if i'm at [134, 20] in the nether and I /home it will take me to [134, 20] in the normal world.

The portal outside my house @ [163, 1171] (Yeah sorry forgot the '1' on the end of the z coordinate before) now connects to the nether at [-17, 149] (boxed in with cobblestone from the outside nether)

From that portal in the nether there is a (mostly, not quite finished yet.) boxed in MC track you can ride all the way to Strife's safe house. (I hope Mr. Moustache will find this beneficial since his portal comes out in the same place.)

From Strife's safe house, if you ride his MC track all the way to down to [343,27] there is an entrance on the right hand side (I put a sign up). Walk back for a couple blocks and there is a portal in there @ [319, 56]

This Portal will take you to the real world portal @ [2561, 457]. From here there is another MC track that will run you all the way to the line from the middle of IC town the goes all the way out to 3,000. It joins this line @ [2529, -191]. Where you can then ride it down to around 3,000 and Mine some lapis. If you have easy access to Strife's safe house it will significantly shorten your ride to 3000. I know it cuts my ride from about 15 to around 5. Not perfect but it's something.

(On a side note, if you're trying to go from Strife's safe house back to the portal (this leads to [-147, 1190] (this does not lead back to my house because of the fun way portals work), you'll have to run up the MC track hill at the beginning from the top of strife's roof as I did not have enough powered rail to make it up that high.)

Just ask if you have any questions/idea's/improvements.

Thanks Guys
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm not surprised that /home produces unexpected results, that plugin hasn't been updated in a long time (due to it's simplicity I imagine it hasn't needed any further development). The addition of nether has clearly made further development necessary. That will be up to the plugin author to fix, if they choose to do so.

tl;dr - SimpleHome hasn't been updated for nether. Don't use it in nether. (Still works fine in normal world).
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Yesterday we created a nether portal in my air castle.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    There's been a portal in DickKeep for a long time. Sadly the portal in nether doesn't like to return you to DK. Instead it pops out some portal in the middle of nowhere.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    CB discovered something about the side you go into the portal in the nether making a difference on where you come out, or something like that.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    The portals don't tie directly to one another, or rather: They don't 'remember' how you got where you are. Each time you use one, it searches for the most appropriate gate, and finding no good one, it makes a new one. This causes it to create a new on on the surface when it really shouldn't. The only fix is to move the one in the nether to a place where it finds the one you want it to.

I'm finding that the portals are more poorly programmed than I had expected.
    edited June 2011
    CB wrote:
    The portals don't tie directly to one another, or rather: They don't 'remember' how you got where you are. Each time you use one, it searches for the most appropriate gate, and finding no good one, it makes a new one. This causes it to create a new on on the surface when it really shouldn't. The only fix is to move the one in the nether to a place where it finds the one you want it to.

I'm finding that the portals are more poorly programmed than I had expected.

Actually i've found that they work even stranger that this, as I managed to "tie" the portal at GC into my safehouse netherportal by:

1. Make and enter RW portal
    2. Destroy Created portal in Nether
    3. Re-Enter RW portal

I believe it works this way as NEW portals link you to a NEW netherportal, but upon destruction of EITHER portal, RW or Nether, your entry point does a search of any available portals before creating one.

This allows for what I call Portal hopping, where portals are connected to each other by the maximum distance in the search radius. So far the largest I have made is from my RW bast to the nether, which for reference warps me about 1600 RW blocks.

Cobra - I destroyed the random gate so that you portal back into RW in stache's safe house. Also I have no idea what you are talking about with the 2000 something co-ords. The portal I built to blue mine lands you Exactly at blue mine. There are a couple test portal I built that lead to 3000 or so, but I cant see why you would use them, as the simply riding my minetrack will lead you to the right gate.