Zambezi build

191011121315»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    edit: that was a lie.

I meant it's better to have lower frequency ram, tighter timings, and higher cpu-nb than higher ram frequency:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?56715-AMD-AM3-CPU-s-which-ram-speed-is-faster-and-which-CPU-NB-clock-is-best

(you can also see that increasing the HT speed doesn't really help)

Increasing the HT frequency was a concern of mine so thanks for clarifying that. Not sure where to set that though ...would you suggest "auto" settings? I think that would put it back to 2000.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm not sure what's best - I just left mine at 2000...there may be cases where it is best to have it higher, but I haven't tested.
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    I'm not sure what's best - I just left mine at 2000...there may be cases where it is best to have it higher, but I haven't tested.
    Cool. I set it to auto and it went to 2228. I think I can hang there until I can investigate some cas-6 timings at ddr3-1333. I'm thinking my settings will begin about 6-8-7-21-1T or something like that,
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    After benchmarking I wound up back to 2000. Good call.
    edited November 2011
    What ram are you running?
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    What ram are you running?

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Model 996997 - 7-9-8-24-1T
    edited November 2011
    I may have found a sweet spot for 4ghz at these settings:

Tweaker (bios)
    core speed:_______4000
    cpu ratio:_________20
    bus/peg freq:______200
    mem freq:_________ddr3-1600
    cpu/nb freq:_______2800
    ht link speed:______2000
    timings: __________7-9-8-24-1T

Manual Voltages (bios)
    cpu:_____________1.46875V
    cpu/nb:__________1.35V
    dram:____________1.65V
    nb ht:____________1.2875V

Once I determine this is 24 hrs stable I will tinker with the mem frequency & voltages a bit.
    edited December 2011
    A little more tweaking ...trying to bring temps down.

Tweaker (bios)
    core speed:_______4000
    cpu ratio:_________20
    bus/peg freq:______200
    mem freq:_________ddr3-1600
    cpu/nb freq:_______2800
    ht link speed:______2000
    timings: __________7-8-7-24-30-1T

Manual Voltages (bios)
    cpu:_____________1.46875V
    cpu/nb:__________1.3V
    dram:____________1.65V
    nb ht:____________1.2875V
    edited December 2011
    Did increasing NB HT voltage help stability? Now that you're back at stock ht link, I don't think it's helpful. I never gave increasing it a shot though.
    edited December 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    Did increasing NB HT voltage help stability? Now that you're back at stock ht link, I don't think it's helpful. I never gave increasing it a shot though.
    Definitely did help. As you may be able to tell I was way undervolting it due to inexperience. I didn't realize that it needed to be between 1.275-1.3V. I read this somewhere from Chew. I also realized that I wasn't appling enough wind through my radiator. I didn't even have it on "standard" settings. Now it's running at 69% and keeping the cpu at a constant 61C under full F@h load. The cores are at 46C each while the chassis stays around 34C ....all depending on the ambient of course. I'm ready to change my fluid (MCT-5) though ...it's been in this loop for 5 years (give or take).
    Temps are down to around 50C until the house heaters kick in at night and then they rise to around 55C. I should be safe but it rebooted during the night. I relaxed the ram timings and I'll see if this helps. Running great otherwise.
    I think my issue turned out to be the EAX gadget. Each time I inserted it I got a reboot during the night ...so no more EAX gadget for me.

i've been gaming on this setting w/ stock air cooler and one INT unit disabled per cluster/module.

=)
    I finally got everything stable at 4.0ghz (1.4375vcore). Ram is pc3-1600 7-8-7-24-1t and HT frequency is 2800mhz (1.25v).
    Thrax, any word on Vishera?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    What do you want to know, Csimon? I have a Vishera on the bench now.
    csimon
    edited October 2012
    Welp ...I'm interested in power consumption and performance. As in how much wattage does it consume at idle and how much full load at stock during F@H smp session and how much full load when overclocked to 5ghz during F@H smp session. Also, temps at these times would be valuable.

To summarize:

stock clock - stock voltage - stock idle wattage consumption/stock full load wattage consumption - stock idle temp/stock full load temp
    5ghz - 5ghz voltage - 5ghz idle wattage consumption/5ghz full load wattage consumption - 5ghz idle temp/5ghz full load temp

Full load = all 8 cores F@H smp folding. Also, PPD & project.

that's it for now.

Can you disclose info on the 23rd?
    Stock clock: 4ghz, stock voltage 1.32v, measured 90w idle power with external meter, measured 222w full load with 8 cores 100% folding
    Stock idle temp: 33c, stock load temp during folding: 52c (cooler is Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer)
    Estimated PPD: 16157 on Project 8049

Shhh ;)
    Review will be up later today

Overclocked to 4.4ghz, 274w draw.
    edited October 2012

Stock clock: 4ghz, stock voltage 1.32v, measured 90w idle power with external meter, measured 222w full load with 8 cores 100% folding
    Stock idle temp: 33c, stock load temp during folding: 52c (cooler is Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer)
    Estimated PPD: 16157 on Project 8049

Shhh ;)

My 1100T overclocked to 4ghz runs at 1.4625v, but not sure of the wattage. So it 8 cores are running 4ghz stock at 1.32v that is definitely a plus afaik. The wattage is definitely acceptable for what's happeneing. I honestly didn't think AMD would pull this off this well. This really makes Steamroller promising, and Vishera desirable.

Don't worry, what happens at Icrontic ....:csimon:

Review will be up later today

Overclocked to 4.4ghz, 274w draw.

How exactly did you measure temps?

Can you post CPU-Z screenies?

I truly appreciate this Brian.

edited October 2012
    I measured temps independently with both CPUID HW Monitor and with the Asus monitor, let everything run for 3-5 minutes, and took down the highest temp that was reached.

With a slight O/C to 4.6ghz, performance scales nicely.

edited October 2012
    Oh shut-up, now you're really getting me excited. The only downturn is the power draw it seems, however we are talking 8 cores. MERCY!!!!!!!!

This thing really takes off nicely where Bulldozer left off, fortunately. Forgive me please, I'm on cold meds, and thanks.

Now roll out that review.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Brian, I have engineering sample envy.

I'll probably make a decision to purchase or wait for steamroller when fx-8320 benches roll out w/ oc results. This is the chip that should have come out last year, and unfortunately it didn't. Still good stuff though with all of it's 8 core goodness.

Also, congrats on a fantastic article as always!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I'm gonna guess the FX-8320 is a FX-8350 with a lower multi, but since they are unlocked, probably the same bin. Could just be 8350s that didn't hit 4.2 on turbo also. have to see
    fatcat said:

I'm gonna guess the FX-8320 is a FX-8350 with a lower multi, but since they are unlocked, probably the same bin. Could just be 8350s that didn't hit 4.2 on turbo also. have to see

Yup, that's what I'm counting on.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    If it's an 8-core, it's all the same bin right now.
    Any idea when Steamroller might roll out?
    I made teh Steamroller mine. Perhaps I should start a new thread?