Zambezi build

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Hopefully some parts will land on my doorstep soon as well :)
    Any hint as to what motherboard we may hope to see (if you care to say)? :respect:
    If there is anything I can do (including stfu) please let me know! :rockon:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I honestly have no idea what will eventually arrive, or when.
    edited June 2011
    TechPowerUp has a good database of reviews like what I've been looking for.
    edited June 2011
    990FX motherboards have been slowly appearing on Newegg over the past few weeks.

Can anyone tell me for certain if the AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ all use the same heatsink retentioner/mounting pattern? I would really like to use the Enzotech SCW-REV.A CPU Waterblock on this build.
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    990FX motherboards have been slowly appearing on Newegg over the past few weeks.

Can anyone tell me for certain if the AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ all use the same heatsink retentioner/mounting pattern? I would really like to use the Enzotech SCW-REV.A CPU Waterblock on this build.
    AM2 -> AM3 do. I would assume that AM3+ does as well. No real reason to change. Reviewers would have noted otherwise.
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    AM2 -> AM3 do. I would assume that AM3+ does as well. No real reason to change. Reviewers would have noted otherwise.
    Cancel that. I'm sure of it. Other sites have reviewed 990FX boards with the Phenom II 1100T. They would have required a new heatsink then - no such thing was mentioned.
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Cancel that. I'm sure of it. Other sites have reviewed 990FX boards with the Phenom II 1100T. They would have required a new heatsink then - no such thing was mentioned.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm really excited about that waterblock. I think the Apogee GT that I have now would fit but I'd love to try the SCW.
    edited June 2011
    Is there any reason that the 990X would be any less of an overclocker or performer than the 990FX aside from the extra x16 PCIE lanes?

Newegg finally has the GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 finally.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    You can expect the 990FX boards to have more premium overclocking features, such as additional power phases or more PCB layers.
    edited June 2011
    As it stands, I think I would pull the trigger on the following items:

AMD FX-8130P = $319.99 (approx. when available)
    Asus Crosshair V Formula = $239.99
    MS Windows 7 Professional OEM = $129.99
    Mushkin Redline (2X4GB) = $139.99
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB = $134.99

Totals approximately $964.95 before shipping.

The jury is still deliberating.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    8 core CPU, nice.
    edited June 2011
    Oh, say it isn't so.
    I get the feeling that disappointing cpu benchies will soon follow. Probably this weekend. I haven't changed my mind yet but I bet scores of others might.
    edited June 2011
    4.63 overclock on an engineering sample is not too shabby. Are these 8 actual cores or is this hyperthreading type crap that Intel has been dishing out?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    8 actual cores. HT has it's uses, but that is neither here nor there.
    edited July 2011
    Happy 4h of July everyone.

Next "FX weekend" TEASER - 5,1 GHz on AIR!
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Problem is that the CPU matters very little in the benchmark this site displays.

Also there's no indication as to whether this is an actual Bulldozer CPU or a Phenom II running on an AM3+ board. Show me pics of the CPU used and some sort of proof said Bulldozer CPU is used in the testing, then we'll talk.

I won't believe any results until the NDA is lifted or until I have hardware in hand, whichever occurs first.
    edited July 2011
    they benchmarked intel's last generation vs AMD's next generation and AMD still lost. lol
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    they benchmarked intel's last generation vs AMD's next generation and AMD still lost. lol
    Assuming everything is accurate, the benched a $1000 CPU against a (guessing) $350 CPU. Big deal. I want to see Bulldozer compared to a 2600K.
    edited July 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Assuming everything is accurate, the benched a $1000 CPU against a (guessing) $350 CPU. Big deal. I want to see Bulldozer compared to a 2600K.

fair enough. but bulldozer is 8 core correct?

what program are any of us using that will optimize 8 cores?

so it's really, 4 core bulldozer vs 2600k

both at 5ghz of course
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    fair enough. but bulldozer is 8 core correct?

what program are any of us using that will optimize 8 cores?

so it's really, 4 core bulldozer vs 2600k

both at 5ghz of course
    Bulldozer should be available from 4-8 cores.

I do lots of media transcoding and multitasking. It's not so much a single program I'm going to use as much as a number of CPU intensive tasks at the same time.

It's really what you can buy at a given price point. The top Bulldozer will probably cost about the same as the top LGA1155 or maybe lowest LGA2011. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect the LGA2011 CPUs to blow AMD out of the water. It's just a question of how much it costs to get that performance.
    edited July 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    It's really what you can buy at a given price point. The top Bulldozer will probably cost about the same as the top LGA1155 or maybe lowest LGA2011. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect the LGA2011 CPUs to blow AMD out of the water. It's just a question of how much it costs to get that performance.

agree. I'm an AMD fanboy as much as the next guy (6970 CrossfireX whooo!) but I'm more interested in AMD Fusion for now :wink:

(sorry to derail thread)
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    agree. I'm an AMD fanboy as much as the next guy (6970 CrossfireX whooo!) but I'm more interested in AMD Fusion for now :wink:

(sorry to derail thread)
    I'm just about done with benchmarking. I think the results are very interesting.
    edited July 2011
    I need to start yanking the components in my sig and sticking them into a new case.
    The only issue I foresee is that of a cpu cooler. I have and old Thermalright SLK(947U I think?). I don't think that will work with the 939 (Opteron 165). I'm keeping the watercooler for the Bulldozer.
    So can anyone advise on a cooler that is not too expenive and will keep this dual core chip cool at around 2.6ghz? It doesn't take much effort to run at this frequency and doesn't cause too much heat.

The case I will be sticking this into is the LIAN LI PC-7FN.

Must be quiet as possible.
    edited July 2011
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

but through the referral link :P

That one doesn't explicitly state 939 compatible, so you could go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118052
    edited July 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

but through the referral link :P

That one doesn't explicitly state 939 compatible, so you could go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118052
    They look like great coolers. I'm inclined to go with something a little cheaper if I can get away with it since it will be for my 8 year old son.

For instance here are a few I just finished saving to favorites:

Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink
    EVERCOOL HPFA-10025 100mm Ever Lubricate CPU Cooler (Buffalo for AMD)

Also, any feedback on this thermal grease?
    ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound
    edited July 2011
    I just did a power search for anything under 30dBa (rural nighttime?)

That tower one looks interesting, with the fan in the middle. MX-2 is good stuff.
  • edited July 2011
    Chris, I am just finishing up the testing on a Spire heatsink that is socket 939 compatible. After I get pics and get the review published I will be selling it cheap. It's not easy to install on AM2 and I imagine it won't be much easier to install on socket 939, but it does advertise compatibility with 939. The problem is that you will need to install it with the mobo out of the case because the heatsink overhangs the tension screws, so you have to tighten it down by hand. But it can cool a Bloomfield at 4 GHz, so it should do fine for your old 165 Opty.

Also, when you get your Dozer all set up, I can loan you a 2600k system to bench it against. I presently have 2 set up as Rosetta crunchers and both are on water. Let me tell you, SB is about as easy as you can get for overclocking. Rosetta crunching temps run around the mid 50's on the hottest core on the one running on an MCR220-QP rad and GTZ wb (4.5 GHz) and the other runs a few C cooler at 4.4 GHz on a EK Supreme HF and RX360 rad. Both overclocks are pretty conservative too; could push them higher if I wanted to crank vcore up some more. And neither proc is a cherry proc either. One I bought out the overclockers classies from a guy binning them for a folding machine and the other one I procured in an even swap (mobo and proc) for a Jiggybyte P55A-UD7 and 875k proc. Both systems are running on Asrock P67 Extreme6 boards.
    edited July 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    Chris, I am just finishing up the testing on a Spire heatsink that is socket 939 compatible. After I get pics and get the review published I will be selling it cheap. It's not easy to install on AM2 and I imagine it won't be much easier to install on socket 939, but it does advertise compatibility with 939. The problem is that you will need to install it with the mobo out of the case because the heatsink overhangs the tension screws, so you have to tighten it down by hand. But it can cool a Bloomfield at 4 GHz, so it should do fine for your old 165 Opty.

Also, when you get your Dozer all set up, I can loan you a 2600k system to bench it against. I presently have 2 set up as Rosetta crunchers and both are on water. Let me tell you, SB is about as easy as you can get for overclocking. Rosetta crunching temps run around the mid 50's on the hottest core on the one running on an MCR220-QP rad and GTZ wb (4.5 GHz) and the other runs a few C cooler at 4.4 GHz on a EK Supreme HF and RX360 rad. Both overclocks are pretty conservative too; could push them higher if I wanted to crank vcore up some more. And neither proc is a cherry proc either. One I bought out the overclockers classies from a guy binning them for a folding machine and the other one I procured in an even swap (mobo and proc) for a Jiggybyte P55A-UD7 and 875k proc. Both systems are running on Asrock P67 Extreme6 boards.

That sounds great James. I will be removing the motherboard anyway to get into the new case. I'm in no big hurry either because I currently have a project going in AutoCAD and I can't afford too much down time just yet.
    When do you think you'll be ready with that Spire sink?
  • edited July 2011
    Hopefully if a couple of weeks, if not sooner. I have made my data runs and have taken a bunch of pics, but I'm not positive I have all the pics taken I need for the review. I am about to start roughing the review together though; just finishing up a review right now that is directly preceding the Spire review. I"m curious as to how it's going to fit on socket 939 too, so I might go ahead and get it to you before the review is done and get some pics of how it fits on your old Opty system for the review too. There are so few heatsinks designed for fitting older systems such as yours nowadays and adding this to the review might help some other folks needing upgraded cooling on their older system too.