Zambezi build

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hopefully if a couple of weeks, if not sooner. I have made my data runs and have taken a bunch of pics, but I'm not positive I have all the pics taken I need for the review. I am about to start roughing the review together though; just finishing up a review right now that is directly preceding the Spire review. I"m curious as to how it's going to fit on socket 939 too, so I might go ahead and get it to you before the review is done and get some pics of how it fits on your old Opty system for the review too. There are so few heatsinks designed for fitting older systems such as yours nowadays and adding this to the review might help some other folks needing upgraded cooling on their older system too.
    I agree 100%. There are many of those old solid Opterons w/ DDR running around with many uses still. They make a perfect 64bit dual-core hand-me-down.
    Just let me know when you're ready. I'll be ordering the case real soon because it looks like a sale item and I'd hate for it to jump up back to regular price before I hit the purchase button. :rockon:
  • edited July 2011
    What case are you looking at? And what price range?
    edited July 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    What case are you looking at? And what price range?

I've only owned Lian-Li aluminum cases for the past ten years or maybe more. I love the quality of the build and everything else about them. Not all of them mind you, but once in a while I see something that really shines for me.

This is the one I'm looking at:

LIAN LI PC-7FN

Regular $139.99 going for $99.99. One hell of a deal for something you really admire. And the specs are terrific.

There are a few other items I will be pulling the trigger on this weekend as well. Such as thermal paste and Win7 Pro.

I had to pull the trigger on the case ...this was a deal I absolutely couldn't pass up.

Check it out:

The Case above is regular $139.99 on sale for $99.99. That's a savings of $40. When I looked a while ago there was also a promo code for another $30.00 off. That's a total savings of $70. This case just cost me a grand total of $69.99 ...WHAT A SWEET FUGGIN' DEAL!!!
    I added the AC-MX4 because I will need it to apply the cooler but the OS & SSD can wait for a better deal to swing around.

I am stoked ...Man I just love Newegg.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    Thanks. Looks like no Bulldozer until October if I'm reading this right.
    edited July 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hopefully if a couple of weeks, if not sooner. I have made my data runs and have taken a bunch of pics, but I'm not positive I have all the pics taken I need for the review. I am about to start roughing the review together though; just finishing up a review right now that is directly preceding the Spire review. I"m curious as to how it's going to fit on socket 939 too, so I might go ahead and get it to you before the review is done and get some pics of how it fits on your old Opty system for the review too. There are so few heatsinks designed for fitting older systems such as yours nowadays and adding this to the review might help some other folks needing upgraded cooling on their older system too.

James let me know when you're ready ...my thermal paste is arriving today.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey Chris, I just had to go out offshore this morning. But I doubt this job will last more than a week, so I should be coming in next week sometime. I have the review finished and being reviewed now, so I can go ahead and sell the heatsink now. It's a Spire TherMax Eclipse II and while it's not top tier, it's a good tier 2 cooler and should do that Opty some real good on keeping it cool. I'll try to give you a heads up before I come in.

And that sounds like a hell of a steal you got on that case too!:respect: It's cheaper than the case I was going to recommend. The Dragon Rider is a real nice case, but it's priced way higher than the Lian Li case you went with. It's also full tower instead of mid tower, but that works in my favor with heatsink testing. It has plenty of room inside to work in.
    edited July 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Thanks. Looks like no Bulldozer until October if I'm reading this right.
    Sounds like a likely scenario. Anyone who's been posting benchmark results is using an engineering sample which may not reflect final performance. Also they're probably breaking NDA and pissing AMD off.
    edited July 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hey Chris, I just had to go out offshore this morning. But I doubt this job will last more than a week, so I should be coming in next week sometime. I have the review finished and being reviewed now, so I can go ahead and sell the heatsink now. It's a Spire TherMax Eclipse II and while it's not top tier, it's a good tier 2 cooler and should do that Opty some real good on keeping it cool. I'll try to give you a heads up before I come in.

And that sounds like a hell of a steal you got on that case too!:respect: It's cheaper than the case I was going to recommend. The Dragon Rider is a real nice case, but it's priced way higher than the Lian Li case you went with. It's also full tower instead of mid tower, but that works in my favor with heatsink testing. It has plenty of room inside to work in.
    No problem at all. Can you also send me a PM with a price?

Thanks
    edited July 2011
    Bulldozer details and more on the server chips from Anand.
  • edited July 2011
    PM incoming, Chris.
  • edited July 2011
    BTW Chris, here is my review of the Thermax Eclipse II heatsink if you want to see how well it performed on my Bloomfield heat monster. ;)

Linkage
    edited July 2011
    Wow that's a monster heatsink. Very impressive in the results too I might add.
    I should be a little more talkative later ...buried my all time best friend today so kinda down. But, tomorrow is another day and things will be way better when I pick things up.
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    AMD slips out the 8-core FX-Series CPU price Also, looks like some sort of give away.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Giveaway
    Once a day entries
    edited August 2011
    AMD Bulldozer Launch in September Now Official, Two New 8 Core FX Processors to arrive in Q1 2012

Just in time for my birthday. What are the chances of the 95w overclocking higher than the 125w? I would think slim-to-none that's why I have my heart set on the FX-8150.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uRYvfhk7xcs&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited August 2011
    Just ordered one of these 120 filtered lian li bays for my v-2000b case to help improve air flow and case cooling. I'm hoping it's a fit which it should be. If it works out well I'll be ordering a few of these 120mm PWM fans (at a better price) for the second part of my cooling project. I'll have full pics when it's all done. Also yet to come is this waterblock (which is at a good price).

I've picked up a few pieces here and there for this build. I plan on ordering the motherboard and CPU last since I'm still not certain of the bulldozer performance. I have a good feeling about this build but I'd still like to see some good reviews, benchmarks, and overclocking. Especially overclocking. And I'd like to be fairly certain of which ram will be a good buy and not overkill (or underkill for that matter).

As it stands now ...these are the major components on my list which I am contemplating for the build:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    any reason for the 1.65v ripjaws over the 1.5v version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

lower timings?

also, nice motherboard choice
    edited August 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    any reason for the 1.65v ripjaws over the 1.5v version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

lower timings?

also, nice motherboard choice
    I wouldn't go 1.65v. AMD's new memory requirements state 1.5V DDR3. I don't know if this will carry on to Zambezi, but that's the case for Lynx (desktop Llano).
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    that's what I thought. 1.5v was the way to go
    edited August 2011
    CAS 11? Wouldn' that take a huge performance hit?
    edited August 2011
    csimon wrote:
    CAS 11? Wouldn' that take a huge performance hit?
    Only in synthetic benchmarks. You wouldn't notice it in real applications.
    edited August 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Only in synthetic benchmarks. You wouldn't notice it in real applications.
    But, ...but, ...but, ...what about my epeen? :buck: Man, gone are the days of tight timings for AMD.
    I supposed the extra bucks could be spent better elswhere. I hadn't considered it, thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    The days of tight timings are dead for every platform. Dual channel/high bandwidth yields significantly better performance in real-world apps. CAS6/7 is fun on paper, but it means dick all outside of SiSoft.
    edited August 2011
    I was thinking that the cas9 would buy some extra overclocking headroom on the bandwidth where cas11 seems to be at the end. I have no idea how this zambeastie will scale. Any clue?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    CAS9 vs. 11 is probably still a safe bet, but the price for the "good stuff" isn't ridiculous any more, so my next memory upgrade will probably be straight to DDR3-2000 for shits. I may never use it, but I'll be happy to keep that much headroom in my back pocket. (in b4 dick jokes).

I cannot comment on Zambezi performance.
    edited August 2011
    How disappointing.

" Cons:
    - Had to loosen command rate from 1T to 2T to pass Memtest 86+
    "

I really like the quick responses when using 1t as opposed to 2t. Ok maybe it only matters in benches and maybe it's psychological (or I could be OCD who knows?) but I really would like to see something perform flawlessly at stock speeds out-the-box as supposedly tested by the mfg. Then again, no one really claims which command rate their memory is being tested at ...

The more I look at it the more I'm inclined to go with another speed and/or brand.

I am checking into PC3-16000 (DDR3 2000) or less and perhaps something that will oc into this range (I know they're all oc'ed at this range) ...thanks for the great advice Thrax. :thumbup