Zambezi build

Comments

• edited October 2011
    So Chris, have you decided which FX chip and mobo you are going with for this build? I am curious to see how it stacks up against Core isomethingmeaningless, both 1st gen and 2nd gen. When you get her up and running, we can try running the same benches with yours versus some of my various systems and see how they compare. I have a 980X (and yeah, I treated myself to it when they first came out and paid it out on a NE account over time :p ), a couple of 2600k machines a 2500k system and the 930 system that I use for heatsink testing. We could pick some common frequency to test at as well as at max overclock and do some cpu intensive benches such as superpi or wprime32 (very good for checking multicore performance) or something else that is free to run for benching cpu performance.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'd be happy to provide a spent (already submitted) Folding@Home work unit to test 8-thread, full load performance. Even for you non-Folders, that would be a very interesting, real world benchmark. That would be a test to see if the Bulldozer name is appropriate.
  • edited October 2011
    if you dont hear back from me for the next few days,
    its because im d/loading win8 over my 14.4k modem.

win7 is borked for BD.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    who releases a product on Columbus Day?...

unless they mean to "take over" something...

Lets get somethin straight pal.... I do the trollin around here ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Trolling? I thought you were just dumb.
    edited October 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    Trolling? I thought you were just dumb.

Failed attempt, minus one troll. :tongue:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    So Chris, have you decided which FX chip and mobo you are going with for this build? I am curious to see how it stacks up against Core isomethingmeaningless, both 1st gen and 2nd gen. When you get her up and running, we can try running the same benches with yours versus some of my various systems and see how they compare. I have a 980X (and yeah, I treated myself to it when they first came out and paid it out on a NE account over time :p ), a couple of 2600k machines a 2500k system and the 930 system that I use for heatsink testing. We could pick some common frequency to test at as well as at max overclock and do some cpu intensive benches such as superpi or wprime32 (very good for checking multicore performance) or something else that is free to run for benching cpu performance.

95% sure I'm going 125w. 75% sure I want the 8150 unless the 8120 clocks higher. 95% sure I want the Crosshair V if it ever comes back into stock at Newegg. I'm suspicious that a bad batch got out so I'll wait til they fix it and get it back out there or go w/ Gigabyte.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Fwiw the Crosshair V is AMD's reference board for Zambezi. I can now also tell you it comes out next week. The highest model is the 8150. All are less than $250 and unlocked.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    All I wanna know is will it be Corsair or Antecs bundled with the FX's...

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THRAX!

:p
    edited October 2011
    Neither.
    edited October 2011
    but...but

Rumors get me so excited and then pop balloons

(they would probably leak anyways)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Failed attempt, minus one troll. :tongue:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited October 2011
    AMD_Bulldozer_TEST_2.jpg
    edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    amd module design was in inspired by;

IMG_20111007_161625.jpg

.. boobies. they come in pairs too!! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    lol @ thrax
    edited October 2011
    thracks & chew, is she doing it right?

warning ...turn your audio way down.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="live_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.twitch.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf?channel=amd&quot; bgcolor="#000000"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.twitch.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf&quot; /><param name="flashvars" value="hostname=www.twitch.tv&channel=amd&auto_play=false&start_volume=25" /></object><a href="http://www.twitch.tv/amd#r=-rid-&s=em&quot; class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from AMD on www.twitch.tv</a>

priceless
    edited October 2011
    What is it that brings pro overclockers and dreadful MMA inspired clothing together?
    edited October 2011
    Her name is Jill, and she is a spectacular woman. /firsteverdrunkpost
  • edited October 2011
    bd initial impressions not good. worse than k10 in single and multi-threads.
    edited October 2011
    dknt wrote:
    bd initial impressions not good. worse than k10 in single and multi-threads.

Link?
    edited October 2011
    111007215009ca15bc7ac63582-635x421.jpg

??????
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    All I wanna know is will it be Corsair or Antecs bundled with the FX's...

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THRAX!

:p
    Thrax wrote:
    Neither.

//Rumor//Some|All FX CPUs will come with|without watercooling kits //Rumor//
    edited October 2011
    I can also tell you that this chip has no cold bug, will easily do well over 4GHz on air, and over 5 on water. It's also happy to take 1.8V vcore on ln2.
  • edited October 2011
    edited October 2011
    dknt wrote:

pffft ...who cares about sitting around running benchmarks all day anyway?
    Doesn't the chip clock like a bitch and run like a bot-out-o-hell???
    I think so. It's may not be the fastest out there and it sure isn't the most expensive. I still still see a light at the end of the tunnel for AMD. :csimon:
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Doesn't the chip clock like a bitch and run like a bot-out-o-hell???
    I think so. It's may not be the fastest out there and it sure isn't the most expensive. I still still see a light at the end of the tunnel for AMD. :csimon:

I agree. Also, until I see a trusted source (Icrontic) put it through a set of real world scenario's, I will not claim to know where the chip stands in comparison to the competition.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Someone has to do it. How else would you see how one thing compares to another thing? :D
    edited October 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Someone has to do it. How else would you see how one thing compares to another thing? :D
    This isn't a build dedicated to running benches ...was my point. I'm ready for a new machine and this is my choice. The results aren't anything that will deter my decision at this point.
    Now if AMD 'gave' me a chip and perhaps a gpu I'd run quite a few benches. ;D
  • Ol_ScratchOl_Scratch Hades
    edited October 2011
    Dialing up Old Scratch now to bargain for my soul! :rarr:

Sorry I'm late, busy making deals on Wall Street. Lets see here... Cliff.... hmmm, sorry but you're going to have to pay me to take that soul.