ICMC Community Project 2: Colosseum

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Minecraft
There has been much interest in building a Colosseum together. Splitting off Colosseum discussion from the Spawn planning thread.

Comments

• UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Oh man. With pistons, you could even make a working elevator system to get you from the underground to arena-level. Can you imagine taking that elevator to the middle of the arena, with seats and torches all around you?

Hell, we could throw creepers and spiders in there and have legitimate gladiator matches.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Have a section of the floor that opens then a platform that rises up with the gladiators on it. Once they step off the platform retracts and the pit closes behind it. YES PLZ. Too bad you can't make it so spawn is underground (afaik)... though I suppose you could have people spawn somewhere that the only way out is to follow a tunnel underground which ends at the elevator in to the center of the Colosseum.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Hell, we could throw creepers and spiders in there and have legitimate gladiator matches.

Not creepers, we wouldn't want to lose the nice design of the building to 'splosions.
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited June 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:

I have been thinking for a while about trying to start a coliseum that would be built around a mob spawner.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    oh man I didnt even think about the pistons There could be so many cool things to do with this idea with that new aspect to the game!!
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I made a colloseum in the original server :P Took for freaking ever with a basic design and 3-4 ppl helping ;)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:

I'm pretty sure with a grinder and pistons, you could have mobs on demand for Gladiator fights
    edited June 2011
    I made a colloseum in the original server :P Took for freaking ever with a basic design and 3-4 ppl helping ;)

I remember that - that was a lot bigger than the Romans could have done, that was like a modern super-stadium!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure with a grinder and pistons, you could have mobs on demand for Gladiator fights

You could use a system consisting of a spawner in a "holding pen" with 2 rows of pistons hooked to a switch. when you hit the switch, it toggles the rows of pistons (closes the inside, opens the outside or vice versa). This would let you isolate a baddie or two then release them into the arena while more are still in the corral. You could make part of the pen out of glass so you could see if there were any ready to be released and what type they were.
    edited June 2011
    I've seen a few youtube tutorials on making airlocks, they're easy. Perhaps a control lever in Caesar's balcony to designate PvP or PvMob, and a button to make it go. Easy.

Using doors like in Jeb's demo would be pro, as follows:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZJr86d2IUo#t=2m32s&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

other idea: challenge gladiators with timed entrances of Mobs into the arena with clocks/repeaters. Anyone can take a mob every 20 seconds, but can YOU take a new one every 5 seconds?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Dude, use a grinder setup that funnels baddies into an elevator shaft, then hit a switch at the top that triggers all the pistons and brings them up to the arena floor. Added awesome: 6 or 8 different elevator shafts all linked to the switch so baddies come out from all sides.

Fucking rad.
    edited June 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Dude, use a grinder setup that funnels baddies into an elevator shaft, then hit a switch at the top that triggers all the pistons and brings them up to the arena floor. Added awesome: 6 or 8 different elevator shafts all linked to the switch so baddies come out from all sides.

Fucking rad.

capped off with redstone-powered hatches so you don't fall in the baddie pit like a dumbass. :)

with flowing water, it should be possible to filter spiders out from the other Mobs and send them to a separate 2x2 elevator. Spiders wouldn't work with 1x1 elevator, and a 2x2 airlock would have unpredictable number of mobs.