A public service announcement for our TF2 newbie friends

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Gaming
Free to play, a fantastic concept, it has invigorated the TF2 community, and for the most part, I'm really enjoying the update. Heck, I even purchased a little something from the Mann Company store to do my part as someone who has gotten a couple hundred hours from the title.

This said, free to play will have some temporary drawbacks too. The quality of competition is suffering due to the newness of many players, and its also fairly apparent that many new players are not well equipped to game online.

As veterans of PC gaming I really believe this is a great opportunity to educate new players and help them to have a better experience so this concept can flourish and become successful. It is up to us as a community to help new players not only understand the game, but also understand the basics of online PC gaming etiquette, as well as to help them understand what they might need technically to ensure a better experience for the entire community.

First of all, high ping players, I'd say anything over 250 or so, instead of kicking them outright, take a moment, ask them if they are new to the community, if they are, PM them over Steam, help them figure out where they might have some technical limitations, either in router, or network card drivers, or ISP. PC gaming takes a little extra effort and know how, and its obvious that some of the new guys pinging the servers at 400 are a little lost on why the experience sucks as bad as it does. I've already taken the time to chat with a couple guys who were really appreciative. Instead of just saying, gtfo the server noob, or kicking them, send them a PM and offer them a little help. They are really nice people that just don't understand what a ping is, and how it effects everyone's experience, much less what they might be able to do to improve it. Help them out. Share what you know.

Also, please, help some of the younger players understand that PC gaming is a different environment than Xbox live. Sure, we enjoy fart jokes as much as the next guy, but we make a reasonable attempt to treat each other with respect. Kicking may be necessary, but at the same time, its a really good opportunity to show people how PC is a differentiated platform. If we treat them with some courtesy, we might help them grow into the hobby vs. running them off. It's been apparent to me in the past week or so of play that a fair amount of "Xbox Live behavior" is finding its way onto the TF2 free to play servers. Lets help our new friends see that there is a better way to play, and that the constant hurling of insults and slurs over the mic really isn't necessary to have fun.

Also, if you find new players, share advice with them on how to play better in a polite manner. Don't berate them for being an awful team member, it only serves to make it a miserable experience for everyone. Don't assume they have played the couple hundred hours you have. Guy's, there is allot of new blood here, they don't know that the Pyro can spy check, and that the first thing the engineer should try and do on a payload map is to get up a well placed teleporter. They barely understand the basics, much less the incredible degree of nuance that makes up TF2. Give them a break, be polite, help them to learn the ropes and it will make everyone's experience better.

I'm really excited about the potential that free to play TF2 might have for the future of PC gaming. As veterans of the hobby, its our responsibility to nurture the newbies rather than treat them like digital lepers. If we do, I believe it will have a far reaching effect, not just for TF2, but for PC gaming as a whole. :)

Comments

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I have noticed the lower skill cap of players as of late, but manner hasn't been a problem as far as I can tell, and neither have high pings. I'm sure that in time people will begin to understand the higher nuances of the game, the key positions to take and hold, and of course, how to talk sophisticated Real Talk. Give em time and a little leeway while they're still getting used to this is all I can say. (Especially if they're recovering Halo/CoD players ;))
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    My favorite was the video of two Heavies in 2fort that came into their friendly sewer and unloaded an entire clip into a friendly sentry before a Blu sniper headshotted them, and the engineer who was lost in a world of WTF.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    pix or it didn't happen.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sxM5cNP36TA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Great points, Cliff!
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    This post has the Myrmidon barking sea animal of approval.

I'm scared to death of TF2 becoming another Dystopia or Allegiance. F2P is always full of elitist assholes. But we're not, right? riiiiight?
    edited June 2011
    Nah, we'll just wipe the floor with them till they get better ;)
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    After 2 weeks of play, the skill level is rising dramatically.

The server hasn't been empty since F2P was released. We also have had people asking "how do I join?" to which someone will reply "check out icrontic.com!" I saw at least one person, ^acid, do exactly this today.

I would also suggest to take the opportunity to learn other classes to keep things a bit more balanced and competitive. :) (I won't play heavy... much...)
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I would also suggest to take the opportunity to learn other classes to keep things a bit more balanced and competitive. :) (I won't play heavy... much...)

It would be NICE if you played heavy, though! Then the newbs could get easy kills! ;D
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Canti, I loled.
  • edited July 2011
    Iron(t)ic that this article comes out now as the Expo was the first time even I had ever played TF2. As such, I do understand the frustration and intimidation of trying to enter a long established group of gamers. I almost decided against playing the game completely during the Expo as I didn't want to burden anyone's team.

I agree completely with what Cliff has to say in that you should reach out to them rather than kicking them out or berating them. Remember that a vast majority are there to have fun and if their first experience is someone yelling at them, ignoring them, or just being rude, it just reflects badly on the community and not the game...

With that said though, everyone I gamed with in IC were more than helpful and were quick to show me tips, tricks, and even in-game help and encouragement. So, on behalf of the newb community I say, "Thank You" and "See you in the game!"
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    New blood is always a good thing. It can be a bit of a hassle to get them up to speed, but when we do, we have more interesting people to play with and berate with confusing insults.
    edited July 2011
    I'll be honest, even though these new people may not be up to TF2ing caliber yet, I'm excited to see how this impacts our community, especially with bringing in new people! :D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    cola wrote:
    I'll be honest, even though these new people may not be up to TF2ing caliber yet, I'm excited to see how this impacts our community, especially with bringing in new people! :D

A-freakin'-men, brother. TF2 has been very good to IC in the past and I expect it going F2P to be very good for us in the future. Color me excited.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm one of the ftp noobs. I usually play as a medic, scout, or a heavy if medics are available. Then there are times I'll switch to whatever is missing to try and win. I seem to play CTF(intelligence) the most.

I'm enjoying it, just have to learn all the angles and strategies. Soon I'll look for the icrontic server so I can own some of you premium users that have gotten complacent and lazy in your playing. Muhahaha
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Komete wrote:
    I'm one of the ftp noobs. I usually play as a medic, scout, or a heavy if medics are available. Then there are times I'll switch to whatever is missing to try and win. I seem to play CTF(intelligence) the most.

Sounds like you're doing it right. Keep it up and learn what classes you're best at.