Cars 2 is Pixar's worst film

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I think it's the series. Cars, I thought was the worst Pixar movie until Cars 2 came out. Neither of them had stories or characters as interesting as any other Pixar flick.

I've enjoyed the fact that Pixar hasn't done a sequel to any of their movies except Toy Story, and they did those two sequels with hesitation. But now it seems like they're going against that philosophy now with this movie and a Monsters 2 coming out as well.

It's Pixar so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it does have me worried.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Pixar movies I loved:
    Monster Inc.
    Toy Story
    UP
    Wall-E
    Finding Nemo

Ones I thought were pretty good:
    Toy Story 2
    A Bug's Life
    Cars

Ones that were "meh" coulda done better won't watch again
    Toy Story 3
    The Incredibles
    Ratatouille
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Merchandise.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Shocking.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Cars and Cars 2 are the only two Pixar films I've just avoided altogether. They both just looked like dumb concepts right from the start. But not every film has to be Toy Story. I'm willing to not begrudge them the occasional kids-only toy-seller film in exchange for all the good stuff they put out.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I was really excited for Cars 2, but mostly because I have a 4 year old, and I've seen the original about 10,000,000 times since he has been old enough to watch a movie. The kid loves cars, and he loves Cars. He knows the names of all the characters and can even pronounce "Francesco Bernoulli" and "Shu Todoroki".

The appeal of the original was that it was just that: original. Car movies, and even animated car movies and TV shows had been done. But Pixar added a unique enough spin and an attention to detail (Wingo's turbo blow-off is the prime example) that it allowed it to go well beyond anything brought up before.

Cars 2 is the definitive sequel: Bring back some characters, have some fun, try to put together a decently entertaining if not entirely engaging story, and try not to break it too badly. I think they succeeded in that, but I agree that they could have done so much more.

It's obvious that the producers (John Lasseter is a huge car guy, which is part of the reason the first one got made in the first place) still like the details (the Reliant Robin flipping made me cheer), but they lost their way somewhere.

I've gone on record already stating this, though: Even though Cars 2 was Pixar's weakest movie to date, it's still better than 75% of everything else out there.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    QQ PIXAR MAED AN ACTION MOVIE QQQ

I loved the attention to detail they put into Cars 2. What it lacks in original story, they more than made up for with the diversity of characters. Their animators captured the world car scene this time, unlike the first film which stunk of a "NASCAR for Kids" vibe. I spent the whole film with my girlfriend in gleeful suspense spotting all the new models in every scene. And when the code phrase was "Karmann Ghias don't have radiators," I couldn't stop laughing.

I think Cars 2 did more to establish a Cars Universe than anything. The work done in this film establishes a firm foundation for future films like Planes.

I'd rather watch Cars 2 than Wall-E, Bug's Life, Ratatouille, or Le Incredibles.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    My 4yr old daughter has seen cars a 1000 times so of course we had to see cars 2. I personally didn't enjoy the first cars. I could care less about cars, I just don't like the concept of a world of talking cars. But anyway she likes it so that's that. So went to see Cars 2 and while I still don't care about a world of talking cars I did enjoy it much more then the first movie. There's more stuff in there for adults to enjoy. There was a greater sense of urgency to what was going on, it was an action movie not just a discovery movie like the first one.

Cars 2 is better then Cars but they still just aren't great movies and yeah despite my generally not caring about them they are still a lot better them much of the other crap out there. If anything the animation alone in Cars 2 was awesome.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Good discussion and feedback so far. For the record, I loved the first Cars movie. I thought it was one of Pixar's finest, even though it's also Pixar's 2nd-lowest movie as rated by sites like Rotten Tomatoes (something like a 75%, while everything else was in the 90's), so it's not a big surprise Cars 2 was the one to get the shitty review. But the first Cars had some real charm, especially thanks to the Route 66 nostalgia trip. I've been out west, so I've seen that stuff first-hand.

Cars 2, again, was a very fun movie. I really enjoyed it. But it also sparked a big discussion between me and Lynx. So much shop was talked, I was compelled to write about it. Cars 2 was what it was. I really don't think they could have done anything else with it other than make some huge action flick. Considering that, the only real thing I wish they had changed was not spotlight Mater so damn much. Low story, high action would have worked for me so much better without him running the show.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    For the record I haven't said it was a bad movie I just said it was their worst. Even Pixar has to have a "worst" movie. Cars 2 will still be better than most every summer block buster this year.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    "Pixar's worst movie" is like being the worlds shortest very tall man.

Either way you're still head and shoulders above average.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    As a parent of a seven year old, I often gauge my feeling about Pixar's works as a combination of how I felt, mixed with her enthusiasm for repeat viewings.

Let me say, no Pixar film is junk, they all at least have been decent films at some level. Cars 2 was enjoyable. It performs that magic trick that Pixar does so well by creating a film that has all the bells and whistles that kid's enjoy while wrapping it around a story that an adult audience can relate to. While they do that, its always fun and light heated, it never collapses under its own weight or becomes too dark for it's own good. I felt Toy Story 3 went a little too far, it became a little too dark at points and it drug the mood of the film down. If I'm being honest, Toy Story 3 is my least favorite Pixar film. Cars 2 was more enjoyable for me than Toy Story 3 was.

That said, after watching Toy Story 3 again with my child, I realize there is still allot to like about that film, even if it becomes too heavy at points for my taste.

To me, the films that find that magic balance the best are probably Finding Nemo and Toy Story 2. Those two are absolute classics in my mind, the cream of the crop in Pixar's resume. They tell a story that captivate's both adults and children in such a magic way. Those films find that magic balance between being light hearted fun, while being thematically strong enough to deliver a real emotional impact. They are perfect films for just about anyone.

Films like Up and Toy Story 3 are thematically rich, but I see them both as being a little on the dark side for family fare. It's not that they are bad films, they just don't have that balance.

Everything else, I'd call pretty good, except the Incredibles, which I know isn't anything remarkable or classic in terms of story telling, but I'll admit, I freakin love it because its good fun, so sue me.....

Back to the Cars franchise for a second though. Is there a finer character in the history of animation than Mater? Larry the Cable Guy was born to do that. I'm being serious, I love that character, it's simplicity, someone simple, loyal and dependable, and sometimes funny as hell. Who would not want to be friends with that guy? At it's core, Cars 2 really isn't a film about racing a grand prix on alternative fuel, or secret spy missions. What Cars 2 is really about is the nature and importance of friendship. The value of loyalty, faith in your friends, and forgiveness for their flaws. It's all there, even if its buried under a fresh powder coat.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    Nemo for me is probably my least favorite Pixar movie. The whole fish thing is dull and with a few funny bits in the dentist office its just tedious to me. But again my daughter is a big fan of it.

While we are on the subject more and more other production companies are keeping up and often surpassing Pixar for me. Rango for example is amazing.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    "and Doc Hudson isn’t in the movie at all—though the latter makes sense with the passing of Doc’s voice actor Paul Newman… but it still doesn’t feel properly addressed."

It was addressed. McQueen laments his passing and there is a memorial of sorts for him in Radiator Springs. And let me just say, you never ever replace Paul Newman..... Ever..... I was actually kinda moved, because it felt more like they were saying goodbye to Newman than a car.

"Those that like Mater will have a blast"

That would mean everyone would love it! Seriously, who does not love Mater?? If you don't love Tow Mater, you must have a faulty sensor or something.

For the record, Larry the Cable Guy, not really into his stand up or awful films, but that guy, was born to be Mater. Seriously, finest Pixar character ever. I'll accept arguments for Buzz Lightyear, and Dory, but that is it. Seriously, the reason it focuses on Mater is because he is the most interesting character in the ensemble. Without Mater the Cars universe would be completely bland.

Also, I think John Tutturro as Francesco was really well done. He was a nice introduction.

You know, I really don't know why people expect so much emotional depth in their animated films. Is it okay to do something just for fun? Is that cool with the critics?
    edited July 2011
    Also, I think John Tutturro as Francesco was really well done. He was a nice introduction.

I agree with this 100%. Tutturro was casting genius. Funny for a little while, but easily goes too far and gets on your nerves.

My main wish was that they could have also done the movie without Fillmore. He's just not the same without Carlin. I understand why he needed to be there, what with the whole story centering around alternative fuels, but it was still hard to watch him on screen and hear a different voice.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Merchandise.
    Canti wrote:
    Shocking.

Really? You can't cram 40 characters into a movie and have the storyline be gold? I could have sworn the movie would be great when the game, toys and other merchandise were desperately on sale before the movie released...

;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Have to agree with AlexDeGruven and BuddyJ. The details are phenomenal in this film, and if you're a car buff or motorsports buff, you'll LOVE so many of the little things (especially the Reliant Robin). As a huge motorsports fan, I really liked the first Cars, and was able to greatly enjoy the sequel for its details.

Bandrik captured my feelings in the article, but even with all of that understood, this is still one of the best animated films of the year. It's neck and neck with Kung Fu Panda 2, and it beats the tar out of everything else.

I appreciate that they did something different with the IP (something COMPLETELY different, at that), but I just couldn't latch on to the storytelling when all the characters were so tragically flat. If I don't care about the people, it's hard to care about the film.

The Mater romance was a complete waste. Totally forced and unnecessary. I think that by itself significantly weakened my overall opinion of the film. Pixar is better than that.

Also - Fatcat, how you gonna hate on The Incredibles, Ratatouille, AND Toy Story 3? Argh!
    edited July 2011
    You know, I really don't know why people expect so much emotional depth in their animated films. Is it okay to do something just for fun? Is that cool with the critics?

That's what Ryan and I are saying is what's wrong with the critical reception of Cars 2. Pixar set the bar so high for themselves that the second they go back to making fun simple films like they used to, the critics flip out. THIS FILM SUXXX!!1. Not entirely true, you've just forgotten to enjoy the simple things from this studio.

Now, as an animation buff, I expect emotional impact. I want it, I need it. I view animated films on the same tier as live action film, and I want all of the proper elements to be there. That being said, this didn't destroy my enjoyment of Cars 2, but I can recognize weak storytelling when I see it.

Also, agreed on Francesco. He was frigging rad.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Also - Fatcat, how you gonna hate on The Incredibles, Ratatouille, AND Toy Story 3? Argh!

The Incredibles was lame, Ratatouille just didn't interest me, and Toy Story 3 was one too many toy stories (OMG THE KIDS DONT LOVE US OH NOW THEY DO OH GOTTA SAVE SOMEBODY .

Avatar was better than those three movies.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    The Mater romance was a complete waste. Totally forced and unnecessary. I think that by itself significantly weakened my overall opinion of the film. Pixar is better than that.

They hired Larry the Cable Guy and thought this was a good idea. You don't get much lower than that.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I haven't seen it yet, and probably won't. Unless my nephew and neice want to see it AND I have money to spare. So I probably won't see it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Having an Uncle Tim must be a grand adventure
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Saw it with my two kids... 7 year old girl and 3.5 years old boy. They liked it but the 3.5 year old got bored and he usually is good at movies. There seemed like some dead spots in the movie where there wasn't much comedy or character interaction... I got bored. Not a bad movie just not what what I was expecting.
  • edited July 2011
    The World Of Pixar To Me-

Love
    Toy Story (best of Toy Story trilogy)
    Toy Story 2
    Toy Story 3
    Monsters, Inc.
    The Incredibles
    Cars
    Ratatouille
    Up

Haven't Finished
    Wall-E

Dislike
    Finding Nemo

Hate
    A Bug's Life

What's all this negativity about Cars 2? I absolutely loved Cars. I guess not everybody can take Larry the Cable Guy. All this negativity about Cars 2 is spoiling it for me because I have yet to see it. I'm just saying is... if you love it, love it, if you hate it, hate it. Stop basing your opinions on the film critics, those jerks aren't always right.
    edited July 2011
    I think you'll find that most of the opinions about Cars 2 expressed in this thread are from those who have actually seen the movie.

As it's also been stated: Just because it's Pixar's weakest doesn't mean it isn't a great movie and better than most of its competition this summer.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, this is pretty positive negativity, phil. "Less-perfect" is about as nice as you can say "flawed."
    edited July 2011
    Trust me, NYYPhil, few people on this board have a deeper love and respect for Pixar than I do. I would never pass judgement on any film, let alone a Pixar film, before seeing it and meticulously dissecting the plot, acting, and other appropriate mechanics.

Cars 2 is without a doubt Pixar's worst. I mean that in a way that doesn't damn it to a fate of a despicable existance - the film is delightful. It's one of the best animated films of the year. But no matter how you look at it, the film is bottom tier Pixar.
  • edited July 2011
    i think all pixar films wer good- including Cars 2.
    But what i think is sad is that, their won't be anymore Toy Story movies,but instead they are doing Toy Shorties at the start of Cars 2 and the new Muppets film.
  • edited July 2011
    It seems Pixar's going through a bad period.
    Creativity is miles away and all they can come up with (since the 2008 amazing UP) are sequels:
    Toy Story 3
    Cars 2
    And the upcoming Monsters Inc. 2
    Toy story 3 was a good film but was full of deja-vus to whoever watched the first two.
    Cars 2 ? A real flop !

I Have seen every single Pixar movie (and short) out there and am glad to say I'm a big fan.
    The only Pixar film I never returned to watch for the second time was Cars.
    The whole idea of giving personality to cars (and then ships, planes and so on) seemed rather stupid to me from the begining and proved to be so after actually seeing it. Sadly I can say that Cars 2 has gone even further. There is NOTHING in this film, same dull characters with an even duller storyline. Basicaly, to my opinion the problem lies with Mater. This character was good as a sidekick but can't hold an entire film as the leading role.
    I can't find any reason for this movie to have been made apart from merchandising which was the only strong point in the first one...
    It's a real pity Pixar slips into this money trap, the one thing that kept it different from the rest of the bunch since Toy story hit the big screen back in '95.

Let's hope Pixar's gonna prove us wrong with the upcoming Monsters Inc. 2 (2012)... Because unlike Cars which was lame to begin with, ruining the Monsters legacy will be unforgivable.
    edited July 2011
    I really love when someone says "the idea of giving personality to cars is stupid", yet they turn around and love Toy Story.

Personality in cars is dumb, but personality with toys is AWESOME!!11
    or... PERSONALITY IN BUGS!
    PERSONALITY IN ROBOTS!
    FISH! MONSTERS!
    ....sure.
    Zurg wrote:
    Creativity is miles away and all they can come up with (since the 2008 amazing UP) are sequels

Yo dawg, I'm really happy for you and ima let you finish, but Brave (2011) is the BEST original Pixar idea of all time.