edited September 2011
    This is how I roll:
    wide%20craft.png

CORRECTION:
    wide%20craft2.png

I call it the Framerate Killer 7000
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    So apparently there are a few new features...
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tkk9YOuQT60&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I would try the new features but now they're asking money for it.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    That's a lot harder to do when you're using the vanilla parts. I've got one that will go to Mun, orbit it, and return no problem. Landing burns a lot of fuel but I'm going to try that RCS trick next time.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    So I just recently found this and am loving it. They seem to be on version .13 and say this is the last free version before they start selling it. Not sure all that has changed but I've managed stable low Kearth orbit, Munar orbit, and even solar orbit (at just a cosmic pinch below Kearth's).

Actually had a mission heading for a smooth Munar landing (with plenty of fuel to relaunch and return to Kearth, and using all stock parts) but left it paused in the background and the dang program crashed.

Some folks are doing just mind boggling things with it though: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5434.0
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So I made it to Jule and (mostly) back. This was after I built a space station to fuel my interplanetary adventures.

• TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So, I just played the demo for like, 3 hours straight.... Is the download a full version for free? Or do I have to buy it on Steam?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    How many planets are there to visit?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    You can buy it on Steam or off their website.

It's definitely worth it, the sheer joy of making a successful rocket that can exit Kerbin's orbit, head to the Mun (Or other celestial body) is immense.

I've been playing it for weeks still have been unsuccessful in my attempts to land on the Mun (Though this is more from burning too much fuel or crashing into it than anything else.)

Awesome. I think I have the cash ;D.
    Ilriyas said:

You can buy it on Steam or off their website.

It's definitely worth it, the sheer joy of making a successful rocket that can exit Kerbin's orbit, head to the Mun (Or other celestial body) is immense.

I've been playing it for weeks still have been unsuccessful in my attempts to land on the Mun (Though this is more from burning too much fuel or crashing into it than anything else.)

There is a scenario you can run to practice this. Also, the maneuvers let you plan our your burns now for maximum effect/ fuel use.

I learned a lot from looking up videos on how to intercept and dock to previous flights/ Landers/ etc.
  • The maneuvers tool is marvelously fun and was sorely needed.
    Zanthian said:

How many planets are there to visit?

There are 7 planets including Kerbin and most of them have moons. The Jupiter-equivalent has a moon with breathable air.
    Anyone want to get a challenge thread rolling?
    edited April 2013
    Sure, how about Mun and back with the least amount of used parts?
    Challenge accepted!
    Should we add in landing or only establish a successful orbit and return?
    edited April 2013
    Sounds fun ;D
    My lander is about to burn for TMI...
    http://imgur.com/a/iMahc
    44 parts. This one was full of surprises: the upper stage I used for TMI had enough delta-V to do the Munar orbit circulization burn AND most of the descent to land burn; and the lander had enough delta-V to finish the Munar landing, perform the ascent, Munar orbit circularization burn, trans-Kerbin injection burn, and perform a powered Kerbin landing. I probably had enough delta-V because I did an aerocapture on Kerbin (epic particle effects). I could probably shave a few parts off but totally worth it. The cancer-looking thing on my capsule is a Mechjeb autopilot module and it's the only non-stock part. I could fly this thing by hand but I suck at powered landings.
    http://imgur.com/a/sSNXO
    I cut it down to 16 parts by getting rid of my asparagus first stage and replacing it with a big fuel tank and Mainsail engine. The lander engine ran out of fuel with 1 meter to go on the Kerbin landing so this thing has just about zero margin for pilot error.
    Tomorrow: moon challenge. Tonight I finally built my fuel docking station: image
    12 peices, moon and back

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    After a week's worth of time. Count it.

I think I can match your 12 @CannonFodder, but I don't think I can beat it. @NiGHTS, looks like you need a rescue mission...
    My first thruster used up too much fuel for it's thrust, unfortunately this meant I ran out of fuel halfway to the moon (With a periapsis of 90,000. Barely over what I needed for re-entry)

Unable to get the rocket back in one piece I figured Jeb's family would be more appreciative if I brought most of him back rather than leave him stranded in space.
    Burning the last of his pack fuel I managed to get his orbit to 78,000.

...He's still stuck up there, soon as I can figure out how to rendevous with something so small I plan on saving him.

Little guy's been to the sun and back no way I'm abandoning him to space.
    Cantipigflipper
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Abandon him? Looks to me like he's having a blast.
    Even when an entire rocket was exploding on the launch pad I have never seen Jeb stop smiling.

I'm pretty sure he's Superman, Clint Eastwood, and Trogdor rolled into one being.

On another note any attempts so far to land on the moon have ended in disaster, I keep coming in too steep so instead of having to cancel out merely vertical speed I also have to combat horizontal resulting in running out of fuel and crashing into the damned surface. Even if I managed the landing I have yet to accomplish a stable munar orbit while still retaining more than half a remaining fuel tank.

On the bright side though I can manage this with 10 parts.
    pigflipper
    My thought process for moon landing:
    Get perigee to lowest orbit possible. At perigee, cancel all horizontal velocity. Land vertically.