ICMC Community Project 1: Spawn

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Minecraft
All going well we will be on an updated build of Minecraft on the Server tonight. With that I am finalizing the first Icrontic Minecraft Community Project: Spawn.

The spawn will be a Roman style Piazza similar to the one Chemriof drafted here. There needs to be only one exit though so we will need to change that design to have 3 enclosed walls and just the one side open. You can get an idea of what we can do with the walls on Google Image Search.

Ground level will be as high as possible. We will need to calculate how tall this will be so that we can minus that from max height to get our ground level.

We will have an elaborate fountain at the center of the courtyard and gardens around it. Similar to the way we have the center of town just on a bigger scale. This will be the area where people actually spawn.

Out in front of the structure will be another courtyard. Across the courtyard will be ICMC:CP2, The Colosseum. We will need someone good with Portals to put one up in this area, then create a safe path in the nether to a portal at old spawn. We will also need a connecting rail from Grand Central.

I will be hopping on as soon as the server is updated to trek out to newly generated land and map out a big enough area to encompass these projects, then we will hold an event where I will teleport everyone there to check it out and get to work!

Use this thread to further discuss design, material generation, ect.

-Digi

Comments

• ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited July 2011
    So instead of a double colonnade, you want walls surrounding it?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    You can count on me to fix you up perfectly working portals, I can supply all the Obsidian for the gates, and once we've established start and end points for the portals, we can work on a nether-tunnel XD
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I would like to keep the columns on the inside, wall or building around the three enclosed sides. Similar to this image.

Once we lay out the footprint then we can build up a section or two, see how it looks and build on it from there.

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    Ok, I'm editing the plan I have in auto-desk, so far it looks good with the walls, The only thing I can see so far that would be a problem with them would be the complete lack of a scenic view from the inside and the added resources(though that's not a problem, right?) If there is going to be walls, arches would look good on there too, so when I'm done I'll post a picture of it with and without arches. Also if you guys can tell me what size diameter columns you want, and what order, I can properly format the plans to the correct ratios. Personally I'm a fan of doric, but ionic makes me think of Icrontic.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Walls can be (at least partially) glass. Perhaps the archways could be glass, with everything else stone or wood or what have you.
    edited July 2011
    Nice, I figured out how to texture things in autodesk.
    edited July 2011
    templenoarches.png

Here it is with walls and textured to my texture pack with a size 6 diameter column and Doric proportions. Still think no walls is better :P but it looks good either way.
    edited July 2011
    What I see in my head is similar to what you have there Chemriof. I think the 3 enclosed sides should be

Row of Columns on the inside -> Bulding, maybe 9 wide -> Row of columns on the outside

With the arched roof across the whole thing.

I want to hear everyone else's thoughts and ideas too!

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    Me too, the more ideas the better. :)

Edit: I just understood what you meant with the building, do you want it as a usable space, or just a wall?
    edited July 2011
    If you're going for an arched roof, may I suggest that above the doorway we put some sort of design, such as the IC Fedora guy? I'd say leave a circle cut out above the door and place the design within that circle.
    edited July 2011
    Chemriof wrote:
    I just understood what you meant with the building, do you want it as a usable space, or just a wall?

I think just a wall would be a waste of space, we might as well have at least open space there. An open hall with Chests full of useful tools for freshly dead players is one idea.

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    moreminecraft.png

Here it is with a wall between the columns. The chests would be useful
    edited July 2011
    I love it Chemriof! Gives us something to work towards.

We started clearing tonight. I'll update the "Land" thread with a map to get out there if you would like to get in on the action. Goal #1 is clear a 1000 by 1000 block area. We were able to clear a good 200 x 25 strip tonight.

Chemriof built up a mock column and even at half the size it was big. This thing is going to be epic guys... EPIC!

:D

-Digi
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M-6kCkSn1o8&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited July 2011
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M-6kCkSn1o8&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's actually smaller.
    edited July 2011
    Hokay, so I'm roughly half way done with the Nether-side tunnel from old spawn/Grand Central to new spawn. I've already got a few signs placed. Let me know if there is anywhere else that we specifically need to link to. (I'd have done IC town as well, but I can't find any convenient space to put one, or any good pre-existing portals in the IC town area.)
    edited November 2011
    This idea died out, but I've been working on a prototype for my own use in creative mode:
    MINECREAT.png
    edited November 2011
    First of all Sweet Jebus! that's awesome.

Second, it didn't really die out, more cryogenically frozen. It became apparent that using parts of our current world in the, at the time, up coming 1.0 was not going to happen. I would still love to see the design used for the spawn on the new map.

-Digi
    edited November 2011
    I found that instead of leveling out land, it worked way better to build on the water. Also the amount of resources that would be in this (all the gold+brick mainly)would take for ever to gather.
    edited November 2011
    Chemriof wrote:
    I found that instead of leveling out land, it worked way better to build on the water. Also the amount of resources that would be in this (all the gold+brick mainly)would take for ever to gather.

Yeah we will have to stick to stone and probably not make it that large.

-Digi
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, with multiple people, the size wouldn't be bad, I'd just switch the gold capitals to yellow wool and make the roof out of smooth stone. I'm also working on a gridded street/block system to put around it.
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited November 2011
    Smooth stone is for chumps now, stone brick yo!
  • Bad-Mr-FrostyBad-Mr-Frosty Member
    edited November 2011
    For what it's worth, i think it's way more epic without walls. being able to see in from the outside and out from the inside is really cool. Is there a reason you want walls?

I think leaving it open really gives you a sense of being able to go anywhere from spawn, and i think it would be even better if we maybe flattened most of the land around it.
    edited November 2011
    Is there a reason you want walls?

The original idea was to have an enclosed spawn so that we could force new users through an area that contained the rules of the server. Also mob control so we people are safe when they spawn there.

Keep an eye on the Minecraft 1.0 thread as it has a lot of good info as it is getting planned though I'm trying not to plan as much as possible to allow for the game to develop dynamically as it naturally does.

-Digi