If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

League of Legends anyone?

Comments

• colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm up for some games
  • I'm heading home, could be on by 9PM PST if anyone is still on around then
    I would play ;)
  • MomOfRoseMomOfRose Member
    edited Nov 2012
    Alright, I'm on. Was having sound issues
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Always worth watching. Again. And again. And again.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    It's hard to fully comprehend exactly what happens in this 58 second clip. It's probably the most iconic moment in dota 2 competitive history to date. It's referred to by dota 2 fans as simply "the play", and it defined the International 2 Tournament.

It starts in the draft phase of the match with Na'Vi the defending champions of The International leaving open the previously thought unstoppable wombo combo of Naga Siren, Tidehunter, and Dark Seer. Everyone was basically shocked Na'Vi would let iG, the best dota 2 team in China, have this combination of heroes. Then Na'Vi picks up Enigma and Juggernaut and people begin to wonder if Na'Vi has figured out a counter to that strategy. In "The Play" iG sets up their wombo combo by catching Na'Vi with Naga Siren ultimate which puts every enemy hero near her asleep for several seconds. During this period Na'Vi is invulnerable, but can't run away, effectively they watch helplessly as iG walks into position to complete the combination.

At this point everyone but Na'Vi thought it was over. iG would just Dark Seer Vacuum everyone into the Ravage of Tidehunter, disabling everyone on Na'Vi and dealing game ending damage. Instead what happens is LightOfHeaven, the player playing the Enigma, uses his BKB as soon as Naga sleep ends, giving him magic immunity so that he can't be disabled. XBOCT, the Juggernaut player, begins his blade spin which also makes him immune to disables. LightOfHeaven channels his Ultimate, Black Hole, which is an aoe channel that disables everyone around it for a long duration. While this happens Juggernaut spins damage over everyone. Dark Seer and TideHunter use their ultimates, but they don't disable the correct heroes. Dendi, the guy that screams during the clip, is playing Rubik who's ultimate let's him steal the last cast spell an enemy cast. In the clip when Naga puts them to sleep you see him furiously spamming his key to steal TideHunter's Ravage. Dendi steals ravage and catches all of iG in it. So instead of a completely dead Na'Vi, they effectively used the initiation of iG against them, as a spectator you think Na'Vi is caught and dead, but in reality THEY WANTED TO BE CAUGHT, and it's the emotion of that realization and the perfectly executed counter and the fact that iG and the other Chinese teams were crushing all the Western teams in the tournament that makes "The Play" just so special.

Here it is at 1000 fps to let you catch more of the details

And Valve made a short documentary about The International 2 which better explains the story behind the tournament.

Pretty good stuff :)
    UPSLynx
    Man, I get chills every single time that crowd pops. So incredible. Better than Daigo's full parry, in my opinion.

Good lord, I love competitive games.
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    What does this have to do with league? I'm so confused D:
    Theironhand
    Moba and esports. Relevant enough.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Yeah I was watching "The Play" as it streamed live, rooting for Na'Vi because they are by far the most badass Dota team out there. They use Pudge. 'Nuff said. But yeah...my friends and I flipped our shit at that play. That naga combo just dominated the whole tournament, and they just proved you can beat it with lightning fast reflexes and teamwork. The 1000fps cam shows exactly how complicated it was. That full parry was INSANE also. I watched it like 10 times. Esports are fuckin' SWEET.
    UPSLynx
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I don't even like Esports in most cases but that sent shivers down my spine.

If anyone wants to play DOTA2 any time on that note I run Omniknight
  • On another note, LoL tonight anyone?
    I play 10-20 hours of Dota 2 a week, add my steam: youdie101@hotmail.com =)
    malia
  • I just found that I somehow own Dota 2. No idea how that happened.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

I just found that I somehow own Dota 2. No idea how that happened.

Be careful, the Viewing Client is free and it will look like you have it but only allow you to watch. Not saying you don't have it, just launch it and check before you plan to play.

-Digi
    Actually there was a bug and a lot of people actually got the full game straight up. Happened to two of my friends =P. Also I have FIVE dota 2 invites, so ask away people. The bug wasn't really a huge issue as the game will be free to play anyway, so it just resulted in slightly higher beta users than expected, so they didn't do anything about it.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout New Mexico Icrontian
    Ever buy a skin and it gets put up for sale the next day?
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I've had this happen with skins, characters (Either they go on for sale, get a specific skin I had just bought get put on sale or they just get put on the F2P roster)
  • BobbyDigi said:

Be careful, the Viewing Client is free and it will look like you have it but only allow you to watch. Not saying you don't have it, just launch it and check before you plan to play.

-Digi
    That's exactly what happened. I signed up for the beta. No invite yet.
  • TeramonaTeramona Baroness von Puttenham In a cute little love nest with Mymidan. Icrontian

BobbyDigi said:

-Digi
    That's exactly what happened. I signed up for the beta. No invite yet.
    You need a better name.
    RahnalH102I-need-a-better-nameTheironhand
  • Teramona said:

You need a better name.

That's what I've been sayin'!
    edited Nov 2012
    I need to play with a group in DOTA2: Bottom line I really REALLY suck while more often than not its the leavers that cause my teams to lose I can't help but notice that big old 0 X X that shows up on my screen.

I mean yeah I'm playing the Omniknight killing isn't my business and business is good but I feel like a massive noob compared to the days when I was actually a competent DOTA player.

This isn't helped by the fact that my first day back I couldn't cast spells because somehow I had gotten stuck in ping mode.

Made you soft, League of Legends has.
    Soda
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I did this!
    UPSLynxWinfreyJBoogaloo
    edited Nov 2012
    Nice job there Annes. Did you like flinging Ashe's big arrow around?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    Main support, ~1200-1300 elo so not a great player... add me ingame TVM if you want to play some normals/ranked though.
  • I'll likely hop on around 9:30-10 PST.
    Nice Annes! Also, LOL'd at the BG from Prag in chat >.>
    My bro and best friend are starting to do more PvP games. Zealock and Enembis are their summoner names. Feel free to add them to your friends lists if you feel your list is a tad small.

I'll try and get them to post on here.
  • Herro I just started doing pvp battles in LOL.
    I thought that i did pretty well in my 3rd battle and I was told people post their results so here they are.
    I was #1 In Kills, #3 In Deaths and #4 In Assists.
    Photobucket
    Fartwhale the Amumu ... I never thought about whales farting before. Is that the "methane explosions" they mention from the triangles?
    So, I'm interested in trying out ranked... anyone interested?
    don't do it ryan, you will never be happy again.
    UPSLynxcola
    Ranked LoL is a giant unhappy hole of bitterness, the likes of which even angles fear.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Dewmander Misery Icrontian
    Don't forget your image
    MomOfRoseJBoogaloocola
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    I play a lot of ranked solo. It is essentially the same as normal, imo there isn't any difference but a rank added ^^ People seem to be just as pissy as normal games.
    Jimmeh, stop being so obtuse.
    MomOfRose
    seems kinda acute to me.
    MomOfRose
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I think you should protract that statement
    MomOfRoseJBoogaloocola
    Lol, I guess we've triangulated the source of the problem...
    IlriyasMomOfRosecola
    We really need to approach this from a new angle.
    MomOfRose
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Spoiler:
    trigonometry joke
    whoa let's not go off on a tangent here.
    MomOfRose
    Let's try to keep this discussion at least on a parallel.
    MomOfRose
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Dewmander Misery Icrontian
    I'm going to need you all to sine this NDA.
    MomOfRose
    i'm afraid i'm gonna need a cosine as well.
    MomOfRose
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    At this point, this is just plane silly.
    MomOfRoseIlriyas