Panasonic Phone System -- How to make changes w/o certification?

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
First I'll say that perhaps this is not a proper website for this sort of question and second I'll say that even if it is the "networking and security" section might not be the proper place either. Apologies in advance.

I work for a company that has a panasonic KX-TDA100 hybrid phone and voicemail system... Our phone box has a lan connect and we have software that allows a bit of tweaking of the system... the voicemail box does not have a lan port so we are extremely limited in our tweaking abilities. Our phone tech company has to send someone out to physically connect via serial cable even for simple stuff like checking logs and blocking forwarding area codes. Our only interfacing ability is by picking up a handset, dialing the voicemail system and following prompts using the buttons on the keypad.

From what I understand you cannot get access to the proper software without being certified which I think is bs considering the fact that we own and do not lease this equipment. We should be free to do whatever we want with it.

Does anybody know where I can find software to interface with the voicemail system via pc? Or does anybody have access to tech manuals for this equipment? Any panasonic phone techs out there?

Thanks,
Pete

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    I would imagine that you can connect a serial cable to it and just use windows built in communications tool to connect to it (which no longer exists in win7 and possibly vista). However you'd probably need a login/password for it.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited July 2011
    Hmm... okay. So assuming XP, what is this built in communications tool you speak of?
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited July 2011
    hyperterminal?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    That's the one.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    The Panasonic KX-TDA stuff can be accessed via serial sometimes. It depends on the configuration. I'm not a fan of the KX-TDA family because, frankly, Panasonic only gives documentation to the "certified" technicians.

Anyhow, they're also non-standard. Serial can run in VT100 mode OR it can run in proprietary software mode. There's also a USB port, which is always proprietary software mode. Or you can implement the Worst Idea Ever For A PBX and put it on the Internet. (Never, EVER do this. EVER. This is what happens.)

Honestly, it sounds like your existing tech knows what he's doing - especially on the security front. What I would recommend is not fumbling about blindly so much, and asking him if he can show you how to do the basic operations you need like changing an extension and setting up a new phone.