Mouse problem

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Hardware
So lately and suddenly my mouse stops responding for a few seconds at a time when I play any games. It happens every now and then at first but the longer I play the more frequent the pauses become. Every time it quits responding I hear the device disconnect/reconnect sound. I've tried different usb ports with no change. After closing the game it continues to have trouble responding but it seems that the longer I've been out of the game the less frequent the pausing, pretty much the opposite of what it does in game. I haven't tried a different mouse yet but I will if I can find one. Oddly, in the device manager it shows that I have 2 HID-compliant mice. Disabling one of them appears to do nothing (mouse still works and pauses still happen) while disabling the other turns off the mouse. Could this be a driver issue? Is my mouse dying? Do you know the muffin man?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Try a different mouse.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It's the mouse, yeah. Might be the cable, but probably not. Second HID mouse is showing because if you move a mouse to a different USB port, it creates a new device. (It's a stupid holdover dating back to Windows 95.)
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Tested with another mouse and mine does indeed have Alzheimer's so, new mouse thread? New mouse thread. Maybe a new keyboard while I'm at it.

I've only ever used a basic 3-button Logitech like this. They work pretty well for the price but I'd like to go for something a bit better. Any suggestions to start looking at? My only real requirement is >$50 for the mouse, I'll consider pretty much anything you throw at me for a keyboard since I don't actually NEED to replace mine. Also, this looks absurd and I found it hilarious. The Batmobile of computer mice.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Well, you can now skip the Logitech Performance MX. $100 MSRP, and I'm on my third in less than 18 months - they apparently fail frequently enough that Logitech now just ships you a new one and tells you "just throw out the old one." For a $100 mouse.

Otherwise, gonna need to be more specific. How do you hold your mouse, what do you want it to do, etcetera?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    RootWyrm wrote:
    How do you hold your mouse, what do you want it to do, etcetera?

With my hand, fly to the moon and back. I think I'm going with this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153055
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I've become very loyal to the Logitech line of gaming mouses myself. They fit my hand well, and have all the neat features I want without being crazy expensive. They also have good customer service: When one of my mouses recently wore out, I called them up to see what they could do, and they told me that it was out of warranty, so they couldn't send me a new one, but as a show of good faith they gave me a 50% of coupon for their online mouse store. I was happy with that.

Currently, I use a G9x on my main system (with the sharkskin sleeve), and an old reliable G5 on my secondary.

My favorite feature is the on-the-fly resolution change buttons, which is wicked useful for both gaming and illustrating, among other things, but most 'gaming mouses' have that feature.

For a new keyboard, I always recommend a Z-Board for anyone who games.
    edited July 2011
    I checked out the Z-Board and while I bet it's great for WoW addicts and fighting game tournament masters I can't imagine using it for everyday use. It just looks so awkward.

I'm considering the Logitech G110, anyone used this before?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I use the next model up from that, with a monochrome LCD, and I love it. Very sturdy keyboard and I love how the keys feel.

The last Logitech keyboard I had was good for nearly 7 years. I only replaced it because it was getting grungy--it still worked great.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I have the g500 and the logitech illuminated keyboard and I really like both. The keyboard has laptop-style keys and that's definitely my favorite kind of keyboard.
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    The last Logitech keyboard I had was good for nearly 7 years. I only replaced it because it was getting grungy--it still worked great.

I've been using this one for just about as long and thinking of replacing it for the same reason, also some of the keys are a bit loose such as WASD (I have NO IDEA why those ones). That and the back of it says "Prolonged use may result in injury"...I don't want to get hurt :(.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    logitech illuminated keyboard

best keyboard period

when mine dies, i'm gonna buy another. love the PerfectStrokeâ„¢ key system.

with that said, I prefer Razer mouses over logitech now. Fit my hand much better. Using the Naga now, with keyboard buttons 1-12 right on the mouse...win
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Canti wrote:
    I checked out the Z-Board and while I bet it's great for WoW addicts and fighting game tournament masters I can't imagine using it for everyday use. It just looks so awkward.

The main feature is that the keyboards switch out. It comes with that one and a standard keyboard, which just looks like a standard keyboard. I switch them out several times per day sometimes as I go between working and gaming.