The "what phone is coming next?" thread

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited April 2015 in Science & Tech
I will try to keep this thread updated as a repository of all the current information on unreleased Android/Apple phones for the big 4 US carriers. Please keep in mind that everything contained herein is a rumor. Even if the information is well-sourced, things could change at any moment.

<font size=4>SEE THE SPREADSHEET: HERE</font>

Changelog:
[20120731] Version 2.1: Removed Panasonic Eluga, Huawei Ascend D Quad and Asus Padfone. Complete specifications added for HTC One X (US & int'l), HTC One S (US) and Samsung Galaxy S III (US & int'l). Merged redundant Galaxy Nexus entries. Updated performance for all possible products. Added preliminary iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note 2 columns.

[20120301] Version 2.0: The MWC update! Overhauled formatting, placed 2011 devices into their own sheet. Added GPU performance row. Added process node row. Brought Galaxy Nexus forward into 2012 and added variants for comparison (hidden columns). Added initial specifications for Samsung Galaxy S III. Added HTC One X; One S; and One V. Added Panasonic Eluga. Added Huawei Ascend D Quad. Added Asus Padfone. Specs to follow for all MWC phones.

[20120229] Version 1.9: Separated Samsung Galaxy Nexus into its three variants (Sprint, Verizon, Global). Happy leap day!

[20120130] Version 1.9: Separated Samsung Galaxy Nexus into its three variants (Sprint, Verizon, Global)

[20120130] Version 1.8: Completed specs for Droid RAZR MAXX. Added spec listings for CPU ISA, battery, keyboard, and 4G radio in preparation for 2012's additions.

[20120106] Version 1.7: Moved all 2011 devices to their own section and began 2012 with initial specs for the Samsung Galaxy S III and the HTC Edge.

[20111019] Version 1.6: Separated released and unreleased phones, re-wrote descriptions for select devices to reflect new context and/or information, applied marketing names to HTC Holiday and Galaxy Prime, updated release dates, removed Android OS codenames, pondered mysteries of the universe.

[20111018] Version 1.5: Marked several phones as "now available," locked in the Nexus Prime's 1.2GHz CPU, changed HTC Vigor to "Rezound" and added the Motorola Droid RAZR.

[20111004] Version 1.4: Added complete specifications for the iPhone 4S. Revised minor information for various Android devices.

[20110921] Version 1.3: Added Motorola Atrix 2 and cemented the launch date for the AT&T SGS2.

[20110914] Version 1.2: Completed specs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II, nรƒยฉe Hercules. Also completed specs for the HTC Sensation XE.

[20110831] Version 1.1: Added all known specifications for the HTC Sensation Limited Edition II.

[20110831] Version 1.0: Added all known specifications for the HTC Ruby for T-Mobile.

[20110830] Version 0.9: Added all specifications and dates from the 8/30 Samsung press conference for the US release of the Galaxy S II.

[20110827] Version 0.8: Added the HTC Holiday/Waikiki for AT&T and revised Droid Bionic CPU clockspeed from 1.2GHz to 1.0GHz.

[20110825] Version 0.7: Removed SGS2 from Verizon, updated launch carriers for iPhone 5, revised launched dates.

[20110819] Version 0.6: Revised phone launch dates and updated Nexus Prime to 4.5"/326 PPI.

[20110803] Version 0.5: Revised launch dates for HTC Vigor, Samsung Galaxy S II and Motorola Droid Bionic.

[20110803] Version 0.4: Altered Qualcomm CPU names to align with the company's simplified brand scheme.

[20110802] Version 0.3: "Confirmed" Nexus Prime specifications, completed specifications for Droid Bionic; Hercules; Vigor; and Galaxy S II, added links to non-LCD display technologies, introduced display DPI row.

[20110802] Version 0.2: Added Samsung Galaxy S II, added Motorola Droid Bionic, began initial Hercules specs, removed NVIDIA as a possible GPU/CPU supplier for Nexus Prime.

[20110801] Version 0.1: Initial revision
ยซ13456722

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I hope the Prime employs gorilla glass. That stuff is awesome.

Also - true 720p display HHNNNGGGGGGGG
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I hope the Prime employs gorilla glass. That stuff is awesome.

Also - true 720p display HHNNNGGGGGGGG
    Really hoping for the all 4 carriers bit. Screw anything that isn't a global phone anymore.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Global is technologically very difficult. Just for starters, none of our 3G frequencies match anything but Canada's. It goes downhill from there.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    What about the Samsung Galaxy S II?
    edited August 2011
    Spreadsheet not finished, but I may never add it because it will be inferior to all the Q4 phones I'll be looking at in this thread, as beast as the SGS2 is.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Thrax!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Some more (rumored) details have come out about the vigor:

1.5GHz Potentially Dual-Core Snapdragon + Adreno 220 GPU
    720p display

Hoping for LTE. I'd put my Charge up on CL the instant it dropped if that was the case.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, those updates are in the spreadsheet, but I haven't pushed them public yet. I also decided to post the Galaxy S2, and what's next from Moto.
    edited August 2011
    NVIDIA confirmed today that the quad core Tegra 3 will not be featured in phones until 1Q12 (circa CES, I'd wager), which puts their launch in the Apr-Jun 2012 timeframe. NVIDIA has been removed as a possible CPU/GPU supplier from the list. I also started a changelog.
    edited August 2011
    This table has been completely updated. Enjoy.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thank you Thrax, that is seriously helpful.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Epic Touch. lulz.

So, should I get the Epic Molester 4G or wait for another cycle and go for something else next summer? I'll be upgrading from the EVO 4G.
    edited August 2011
    EVO 4G is very capable. I'd wait. Betcha it gets CM8, or whatever they decide to call the ICS version of CM.
  • edited August 2011
    Thrax, you are going to want to update the HTC Vigor with a Verizon release: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/03/leaked-verizon-roadmap-reveals-potential-launch-dates-for-stratosphere-vigor-bionic-and-more/ Thanks and great work. I'm debating on the Droid Bionic or Nexus Prime. A developer community is a must for me, but I'm not sure if I can wait for the Nexus Prime especially considering it's still mostly all rumor at this point.
    edited August 2011
    I'd already updated the doc with that data (the 10/6 launch date, etc.) but forgot to republish it when I added the carrier. Thanks. :)
    edited August 2011
    Man, if the HTC Vigor launches as speculated, then I REALLY can't wait to see what will be available in May when I'm ready to upgrade :D:D:D
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited August 2011
    Man, if the HTC Vigor launches as speculated, then I REALLY can't wait to see what will be available in May when I'm ready to upgrade :D:D:D

Yeah same here, and I will finally be getting off of Verizon. I'm thinking I will switch to sprint, but it depends on what's on the market at the time.
    edited August 2011
    Not much is likely to change by May now that NVIDIA has pushed Tegra 3 into next year. Maybe June/July we'll see the first quad core phones, but that's not too far away from May, so y'all might be in luck. ;)
    edited August 2011
    Chemriof wrote:
    Yeah same here, and I will finally be getting off of Verizon. I'm thinking I will switch to sprint, but it depends on what's on the market at the time.

I'm grandfathered in on Unlimited 4G/3G data, so I won't be leaving VZ until they figure out some way to screw me out of it
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited August 2011
    I'm grandfathered in on Unlimited 4G/3G data, so I won't be leaving VZ until they figure out some way to screw me out of it

You do have a point there. Hmm.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    If only AT&T would get off of Apple's dick and release more Android phones.
    edited August 2011
    Very exciting update for the Nexus Prime today.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Samsung Leaks

//RUMOR// Nexus Prime 4.65" 1280x720
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    omg WANT.

I'm going the distance. No matter what. 2 months more on the G1? Piece of cake considering what it's worth.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Didn't see this until now. Instead of such gibberish techno-mumbo-jumbo (very un-nerdy said of me) every store deling with phones should just have a sheet like this. Would be so much easier. Good job, Thrax!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    omg WANT.

I'm going the distance. No matter what. 2 months more on the G1? Piece of cake considering what it's worth.
    If it comes to Verizon (recent rumors say this is so), I will purchase this phone.
    edited August 2011
    I am going to cry very unmanly tears if it doesn't get ported to a GSM carrier for int'l markets. I suspect it will, but :(:(:(
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    So if the Galaxy S2 hits on September 8th like its rumored....

Should I get it, or try and hold out for the Vigor ???

the 720p resolution of the Vigor has me excited, but if its rumored for an October Release and then it gets pushed back to the Holiday Season, im not gonna want to wait that long.

Ahhhhh decisions.... :confused:

Is the Galaxy S2 gonna be the first Dual core 4G phone, or is it gonna be 3G?
    Because That's a deal breaker for me

I was about to upgrade from the OG droid to the Thunderbolt, but then I found out that the Galaxy S2 might be weeks away....
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax, the Google Doc didn't update with your update. I'm guessing 4.5" in now the most likely?
    edited August 2011
    Fixed the sheet update. Yes, 4.5".