The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Tushon said:

I would wait until the end of the year. Rumors have been flying about GNex 2 release soon.

I know. I'm used to waiting, as my Sprint phone is still loading a webpage I started at 2pm. (stupid ass slow Sprint network DIAF)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I feel you. AT&T in Dallas takes a dump around noon that rarely if ever recovers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Given the state of smartphone hardware, whatever the nexus offers really can't be better than the S3 or Note 2. And given the common platform between those devices, not to mention between all variants if the US Note 2, I'd say a healthy modding community is virtually guaranteed.

No downsides to the N2, IMO, and it would be my choice today.
    midga
    Thrax said:

Given the state of smartphone hardware, whatever the nexus offers really can't be better than the S3 or Note 2. And given the common platform between those devices, not to mention between all variants if the US Note 2, I'd say a healthy modding community is virtually guaranteed.

No downsides to the N2, IMO, and it would be my choice today.

What about the LG/Sony/Brand X GNex2 though? Think they will bring any game changers like 12MP cameras and 1080p IPS screens? (I know dreaming right)
    edited October 2012
    The LG Gnex is probably a clone of the Optimus G, with less UI customization.

Sony, who knows. They're not typically a hardware innovator, and have been an also-ran in the Android space for a long time. That might be changing with their recent decision to add one of their Xperia devices to the AOSP device tree, letting global developers build a fully functional stock build of Android for it. We'll see if it's a one-off or a sign of things to come.

HTC just released a 5"/1080p screen today in Japan, highest resolution AND screen density of any phone. Very fucking cool, but I doubt it's coming stateside this year.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Thrax said:

HTC just released a 5"/1080p screen today in Japan, highest resolution AND screen density of any phone. Very fucking cool, but I doubt it's coming stateside this year.

Hmmm....
    HTC AND Verizon make it a no-buy anyways.
    edited October 2012
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    inb4 WHAT NO LTE??!!!111
    edited October 2012
    Agreed. LTE is nice, but not an extra 300 nice.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I played with the Samsung Galaxy Note II.... In love. Fast, and the size is close to perfect. I loved the pressure sensitive stylus too. I can take notes or just be more precise on tasks. It will be mine....
  • brightbright Icrontian
    I don't think I like the Galaxy Note 2 though I have only watched the cnet review by Jessica Dolcourt. I feel it is a half-breed. Half-tablet, and half-phone. I would rather have a bigger tablet and a smaller phone than one compromise.

Is 16 GB the most available from Nexus 4? I didn't see if you could buy more for storage for music, etc. How does one go about streaming music?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Google Play works well to stream music on any Android device.
    Yes, 16GB is currently the largest Nexus 4.

If you want to stream music, you could use Google Music, Pandora, Grooveshark, etc. And with T-Mobile now being seriously-for-real-no-small-print unlimited, that's not a big deal.
    upload music to google play account
    install google play music
    stream
    I have my entire library uploaded to Google Music. It took about 2 days for the initial upload, but now I can stream my music anywhere. It's pretty much the best. I no longer have any concern about space on my phone. I'll be honest: I have a new phone as of July, and I don't even know how much storage is on it, because I haven't bothered to check.
    Yeah, I have the Galaxy Nexus with 16GB of storage, and never have I used more than about 5GB when I was transporting a huge library of music for my trip back to the US. With unlimited data, Google Music and several streaming music services, I really never need more than 8GB.

in b4 "but SD cards make backups easy."

Lies! You don't back anything up, just like everyone else.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    What benefits are there for 16GB then? Also, what is the galaxy nexus 2, is that the nexus 4?
    edited November 2012
    bright said:

What benefits are there for 16GB then? Also, what is the galaxy nexus 2, is that the nexus 4?

storing movies on the card, or more music (not all of us have unlimited data and I like having shit tons of music at my disposal), backups that you actually do (i have all mine automated and synced to dropbox with versioning).

Nexus2 was a generic name press used to talk about it, the Nexus 4 is the actual device that represents that generic name. Google used their nexus naming scheme to match the size of the device for this generation (nexus 4, 7, 10)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Thrax said:

Yes, 16GB is currently the largest Nexus 4.

If you want to stream music, you could use Google Music, Pandora, Grooveshark, etc. And with T-Mobile now being seriously-for-real-no-small-print unlimited, that's not a big deal.

which of their plans is the srsly unlimited plan? I don't understand from what's on their website.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, unlimited 4g, not unlimited plus. And click Value Packages tab on site for best price, per New York Times:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/t-mobile-offers-a-new-unlimited-data-plan/
    shwaip
    Any of their unlimited nationwide 4g plans.
    shwaip
    thxu <3
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Tushon said:

bright said:

storing movies on the card, or more music (not all of us have unlimited data and I like having shit tons of music at my disposal), backups that you actually do (i have all mine automated and synced to dropbox with versioning).
    Also, running the network connection all the time for streaming eats batteries.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    And it doesn't help you much when you're on a plane. Hopefully we keep seeing increases in storage in new phones. It's not like it would have cost much to bump up from 16 to 32 GB..
    Trying to decide if I want to stay on verizon (cheaper for me), or move to tmobile for the nexus 4 / galaxy note 2.

Things I'm torn about: t-mo coverage in pittsburgh for visiting my family, t-mo network speed, verizon not having the phones I want.

Advice?
  • T-mo coverage in major areas has been pretty solid for me. I don't think pitt would be a problem (though I have no empirical data to back that up). Their coverage map backs up my expectations at least. Where their problems show are the more remote areas such as northern Michigan.... or just plain outside of major cities. If you don't spend much time in the boonies, T-mobile should be fine for you.

As for speed, their 3G and pseudo-4G networks have all packed plenty of speed for me (don't know about their REAL 4G network as I've never cared to buy a true 4G device, HSPA+ has always been plenty for my use). If you're really burning through data at a high enough rate for their 3G/HSPA+ to not be fast enough, you're probably going to run into trouble with Verizon's bandwidth caps anyway. Hello overages.

Would Verizon really be cheaper for you? I can get a VZW discount through my work, but even with that it's still cheaper to go T-mobile, as long as I go with the non-subsidized hardware plan. If you're going to go Nexus 4, since you can't get it subsidized anyway, just get a T-Mo value plan. No hardware discount but your bill is $20/mo less. In most cases that saves you more money over a 2 year contract than the subsidization on a phone is anyway.

Of course, this all said, if you spend a lot of time a fair distance away from major population centers and must have a solid data connection, go Verizon.
    VZW is cheaper for me because I just have to pay my dad for data.

The only reason I have any worry about Tmo in pittsburgh is laura has tmo and had some signal issues at my house.

One other thing pushing me towards tmo is that I'd like to be able to pop in a sim card for the 1-2 times I'm out of the country every year.
    T-mo has nowhere to go but up as far as network speed goes. It's still really fast (often tests higher than LTE here in Detroit).