How to: Root a Nook Color, install CyanogenMod 7, and overclock it

Comments

• TampaRexTampaRex Tampa
    edited October 2011
    Question. Before I begin the process of installing CM7, I assume my Nook Color 1.2 needs to be rooted already with Clockwork, correct?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    No. This will take a 100% stock Nook through to completion.
  • TampaRexTampaRex Tampa
    edited October 2011
    Opps - Then I better reset to factory by using power button upon boot up. :thumbupThanks. This has to be the best thread I've read for CM7 NC 1.2.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    By the way I just did this on my wife's nook finally, and it worked like a charm. This really is a pretty awesome guide, cheers. :D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Having issues with step 14.

Top option in new 7.1 is "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"

When I select, I get:

"Error while downloading from server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection, and that your SD card is inserted and has free space."
    I have internet... typing this message on it.
    SDcard says it has 700+ MB free.

Thanks.
    edited October 2011
    The server is not always available. Try again later.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I was coming to that conclusion myself because everything else is perfect.

Thanks.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Same thing happened to me while updating it on my phone. It'll come back sooner or later.
  • dr_feinydr_feiny socal
    edited November 2011
    hi,

will this work with nook software 1.3 (the current version), or will ONLY 1.2 work?

thanks! i can't wait to give this a try.
    edited November 2011
    Should work with 1.3, but be prepared to downgrade to 1.2 if it does not.
  • dr_feinydr_feiny socal
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Should work with 1.3, but be prepared to downgrade to 1.2 if it does not.

if i need to downgrade, where can i find the 1.2 image? i've looked online to no avail.
    edited November 2011
  • dr_feinydr_feiny socal
    edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    Since this appears to be loading from the SD Card, if you boot the Nook Color without the SD Card, will it go back to the original Nook Color O/S? Does it really overwrite anything on the Nook Color so you cannot easily go back to its original setup?
    edited November 2011
    CM7 is installed to the internal eMMC with this guide, which completely erases the stock Nook Color software. If you follow this process and want to return to the stock setup, you can use the Clockwork Recovery software that gets installed by following this guide to flash the stock firmware.
  • edited November 2011
    Very cool and it all worked as advertised. Now, will this procedure work with a Nook Tablet as well? If not, will you be posting those as well? Thanks.
    edited November 2011
    Procedure will not work with a Nook Tablet. I won't be owning one of those devices, so it's unlikely that I'll ever post about it.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi I followed the directions and think I have it rooted correctly. However I cannot navigate around. I have a home page and the next has all my apps on it. When I get into the app to do something there is no way to go back. Any idea what I did wrong? Or how to fix it?
  • edited December 2011
    I also cannot add shortcuts, the touchscreen works in some of the apps but not on the wallpaper or theme...
    edited December 2011
    Please re-follow the tutorial beginning with step 6.
  • edited December 2011
    the navigation problem was the theme I was using cannot get the Honeybread theme from the instructions to work.
  • edited December 2011
    Do you think I need to go back to step 6 to fix the theme and not being able to add shortcuts?
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry for the questions, I figured out how to add apps to the home screen. Should I only have 2 pages? When I try to use the Honeybread theme it says "Sorry, this theme is missing assets for your device's screen size"
    edited December 2011
    That error is normal. You can have as many or as few pages as you want, this is a feature of ADW Launcher.
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Launcher, if I use the Honeybread theme the status icons do not work for me. I really would like to use a different theme than the stock ones.
  • edited December 2011
    None of the themes seem to make a difference, I downloaded the Honeybread one from the instructions and apply it but it still looks the same.
    edited December 2011
    Okay, then please follow my instructions and re-flash.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your detailed instructions, I got it working fine and love it
    edited December 2011
    Glad everything worked out. :)