Phenom II X6 memory controler?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Hardware
I'm running a system with four sticks of DDR3 RAM. I've ran Memtest extensively, along with the standard windows memory diagnostic, by all accounts all four sticks are validated as fine.

I'm running four sticks of GEIL DDR3 1066. Now, I've read enough to suggest that a small voltage bump may be necessary to help along systems running four DIMM's on the AM3 platform. I've tried all combinations of voltage settings, and nothing seems to get me stable. Now, I'm not overclocking right now, I'm just running stock, and everything has been wonky lately. I've tried everything from resetting the BIOS, to re installing windows fresh, I've checked all system drivers. I get a myriad of different kinds of error BSOD too, nothing consistent, I've seen several different error codes, which leads me to believe its a memory issue.

I've played with the timings a little, but not much. The 7-7-7-20 timings do register as the default at 533. Do we know if thats too tight for the memory controller to handle over four Dimms? May I be missing something elsewhere? Is it possible the cache on the CPU could be wonky, or something else is going on that I might not be considering?

If it may be how the memory controller interfaces with the RAM, is there a useful guide for suggested settings given the speed and number of DIMMS populated?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Have you tried 9/9/9/2T? Four sticks is somewhat rough for the Phenom II.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I'll try to loosen it to 9/9/9/2T and see if things improve. Going to the 2T command rate, performance difference should be small?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, timings don't mean much of anything any more. Clockspeed is king in everything but synthetics, but memory synthetics are the least useful of all.