New Version of Firefox

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Version 6.0 of Firefox has been released. The version 5.0 updater will act like the Thunderbird 5.0 updater pretty much. It gets triggered by opening Help-About Firefox dialog, unlike the Thunderbird updater. The Firefox updater also auto-installs updates.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Firefox going to rapid versioning is (in all likelihood) going to kill any inroads they had made with corporate IT, which sucks mondo.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    One of the developers at my company is using Firefox 7. The version numbers are meaningless at this point.
    edited August 2011
    but old peeps don't see it that way. /shrug
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    One of the developers at my company is using Firefox 7. The version numbers are meaningless at this point.

Not true. Firefox 4 works for editing with our recently upgraded CMS but not 5+. Chrome (every version) works peachy. This has basically stayed our hand in pushing anything above 3.6 on campus machines since 4 auto updates (when an admin is logged in, which happens often enough).
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2011
    They are going the "Chrome Way" basically, chrome is the newest browser out there and its like version 13.x lol

Numbers doesnt mean anything anymore, but they will release those "meaningless version number" more often :P
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    < Snark On >
    As we all know, big numbers are automatically better, because they are MORE. Therefore, Firefox 6 must be TWICE AS GOOD as 3.
    < Snark Off >

Tested on a VM. Dear gods. They actually released this into the wild? Apparently the 6 refers to the multiple of bugs they added, or the number of addons that actually work.
    edited August 2011
    Assuming that you are actually referring to addons working with forced compatibility, not "version okay" by the developer, that is odd.
  • ardichokeardichoke
    shrugs

Updated to FF6 as soon as it hit the Arch repos, haven't noticed any differences from FF5 (except for the color of the security section of the address bar). No new bugs noticed here.
    Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    shrugs

Updated to FF6 as soon as it hit the Arch repos, haven't noticed any differences from FF5 (except for the color of the security section of the address bar). No new bugs noticed here.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    did they remove the feature "memory leak" ?
    edited August 2011
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Curious. Once again, based on my usage at work on my Arch Linux box, the 5 & 6 releases have already reduced my Firefox memory usage quite a bit. At this point, Chromium regularly uses more memory than Firefox on that box for me.... and I almost always have fewer tabs opened in Chromium. I'd be really impressed if they could cut memory use even further.