Anticipating a Bulldozer desktop build

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Hardware
Thrax (and of course, other AMD boosters), I anticipate building a Bulldozer rig if the price and multithreaded CPU performance turns out to be competitive with 2600K. You know me - it's got to have overclocking potential. I've kept up with AMD CPU tech, but don't know squat about the motherboard chipsets and 'enthusiast' AMD boards. Assuming that I'm sold on Buldozer desktop, what should I be looking for WRT to a good overclocking board?

I will probably only need the CPU and new motherboard. I'll be sourcing RAM, PSU, and drives from one of my Socket 1156 systems in my signature (systems 1 and 2). I'm assuming I'll be able to find a backplate adapter for either my TRUE or Megahalems cooler.

Overclocking and strong multithreaded performance are absolutely required, as I'm a Folding@Home nut.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    My personal preference is for Gigabyte. If you want the best, though, look at boards bearing the 990FX chipset. That is the chipset designed with Bulldozer in mind, but it's backwards-compatible with Phenom IIs as well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, I guess I'm not as far behind as I thought.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    What is your budget? How many video cards will you be running on it?
    edited August 2011
    Budget would be the equivalent to what a comparable 2600K + decent overclocking board would be, which, right now, is about $460. If desktop Bulldozer becomes popular and Intel lowers their prices in response, then whatever that would be. But right now, $460 +/- 20 is a good planning figure.

Video cards would be two or three. Three is not mandatory.
    edited August 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    Budget would be the equivalent to what a comparable 2600K + decent overclocking board would be, which, right now, is about $460. If desktop Bulldozer becomes popular and Intel lowers their prices in response, then whatever that would be. But right now, $460 +/- 20 is a good planning figure.

Video cards would be two or three. Three is not mandatory.
    Gotcha ...then either of the recommendable 990FX will do. I really like the ultra durable line from gigabyte. The UEFI should be interesting for gui overclocking in the bios though. In that case the Asus Sabertooth might be worth looking into.
    edited August 2011
    I used Gigabyte's Ultra Durable line with Socket 775 systems. Those were very good quality boards, and also stable overclockers.

My ASRock Socket 1155 (P67, 2600K) boards have UEFI. It doesn't necessarily have any significant operational (settings) features that a traditional BIOS doesn't have, but it sure is easier to use. It's much easier to navigate and to distinguish the different settings options. It's definitely a step up.
  • edited August 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    I used Gigabyte's Ultra Durable line with Socket 775 systems. Those were very good quality boards, and also stable overclockers.

My ASRock Socket 1155 (P67, 2600K) boards have UEFI. It doesn't necessarily have any significant operational (settings) features that a traditional BIOS doesn't have, but it sure is easier to use. It's much easier to navigate and to distinguish the different settings options. It's definitely a step up.
    hi, buddy, I also use Gigabyte's Ultra Durable line with Socket 775 systems. and I met with many problems. I think you can help me
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    In order to be competitive, Bulldozer will need to beat Sandy Bridge out of the box, and at the very least, be even with Ivy Bridge.

I'm waiting for benchmarks and reviews.
    edited August 2011
    seesss, start a new thread in the this section, Hardware, and I'm sure several of us will be able to assist you.

Tim, I think we're all anxiously awaiting release, benchmarks, and real world reports of Bulldozer. I think it will have to perform at least as well as Sandy Bridge to sell in large numbers. Ivy Bridge, at this point, may be irrelevant, as it appears it may not be out until well into 2012.

But, if I get your meaning, no Sir, I won't be springing for a new Bulldozer until I see some real world performance reviews. I have no brand loyalties with respect to computer hardware.
    edited September 2011
    Did you decide on a mobo yet Leo? I would dare to "guess" that zambezi is right around the corner. Also, have you investigated the 990X chipset as well?
    edited September 2011
    No, I haven't decided on anything specific. I will wait and see what real world performance is, as reported by users.
    edited September 2011
    I'm really starting to wonder which will clock better ...the 8120 or the 8150. Historically the little guy always comes out on top.