Why do computers get slower over time?

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited September 2011 in Science & Tech
I feel guilty even asking this question because I know it's been asked billions of times. I've seen the obvious answers but applied those practices with poor results. I'd like to hear from icrontians.

I do some work on people's computers... often it is because they complain that they're computer is running slower than it used to.

The first thing I do is check for signs of malware and do any removal necessary. Next I turn off startup programs using msconfig. I do any memory upgrades I deem necessary/possible. Windows updates. I try to trade out any bloat programs for less hungry alternatives.

What else can I do? I sometimes feel like after I try the same things on the same customer's computer a few times in the same year that eventually all I can say is, "I don't know why it's slower than it used to be... just get a new one". Please help.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Two reasons come to mind: Windows installs tend to fill up with junk over time. Its called Registry rot. It is one of the many reasons why I prefer to just do a clean install of windows when someone brings me their computer to fix. Another reason is that security patches, ie9 + all the add ons such as adobe flash and so one take more and more memory and processor resources with each release.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited September 2011
    Oops... I forgot to mention that even going the route of a full re-install often doesn't solve the problem. Like if the owner of the pc is a typical owner, he/she hasn't done a ton of install/uninstall, etc so registry rot is less of an issue than it might be on my own computer. Other ideas? I'm about to pick up a PC for a repeat customer and need a battle plan (and I want to tell her up front what that plan is so I can ballpark the bill). Last time I worked on this pc (about 6 months ago probably) I just did msconfig, turned off skype, checked some other miscellaneous stuff. Obviously if she's calling 6 months later it had little positive effect and even right after doing those tweaks I saw some but not much improvement.

Again, I know this is probably one of the most asked tech related questions but I guess I'm basically asking "what would you tell your customer?"

I'm seriously inclined to say "Computers get slow as operating systems and the software they run continue to bloat with updates. The expectation that software companies had of this laptop when you bought it in 2005 is much different than the expectation those same software companies have now. This PC could run the 2005 version of Skype much better than it can run the 2011 version of Skype. Time to upgrade." And then I'll point to a Moore's Law line graph.

Is that an ill-advised solution? I've been doing pc work like this for years but I feel like it's time for me to reach out and ask for some guidance when I run into repeat "slow computer" customers.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    It's worse when an OS support cycle goes a really extended period of time. Windows XP is the prime example, that OS has been supported far too long. People are milking hardware that ran fine prior to service pack one, but once you add the updates the OS resourse limit goes up a bit and when your talking early XP era hardware, the difference between what you have and an extra 512 mb of RAM can be a true night and day difference. Sometimes it goes deeper than that, you can only squeeze so much out of an Athlon XP 1800+.

Every situation is different, but what I run into is allot of users that are doing everything they can to milk early XP era hardware. It's admirable to try and defer if you have meager needs, but eventually everyone that wants to compute has to just get on modern hardware and software.

My recomendation for old XP machines is to reformat and install Linux Mint 11 anytime they will let you. 90% of the time the roadblock you encounter with users is the lack of native Itunes support. If it were not for that, I'd back up the important files, gut XP and install Linux Mint each and every time. Linux runs better on older hardware, and users are less likely to bork the OS again.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited September 2011
    Cliff... that's pretty much my general take on it when I end up pulling all of my tricks and only barely making a difference. Sometimes I'll tell them it's a memory issue and then we'll double the RAM and I can barely even notice it. I try like hell to convince them that there's improvement so they don't think I'm a moron and wasting they're money.

Most of my customers are from a very nice part of town. A lot of doctors, lawyers, etc. I often deal with the stay at home mommies. Money is not an "issue" but it doesn't mean they want to spend it. Linux is a great suggestion as far as functionality goes, but as far as the best decision for me to make as a business person not sure it's my move. I think these kind of people don't want to f*** with linux... they just want the standard thing. They'd deal with getting used to it for a little bit but eventually they'd end up getting a new PC and I'd lose them to geek squad or the like.

Big thanks though for reinforcing my intuition and they always ask what they can do with their old computer so I think Linux Mint 11 might be the answer.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I've moved several friends over to Ubuntu/Mint w/o issues (as long as they don't want Itunes or some super windows-only app w/o open source alternatives). Two of them were severely non-technical users, and it made sense to them once I gave them a tour (office apps, how to install/uninstall, where "My Docs" was). If they can't, beyond doing basic H/W checks (memory, HDD, proc) and/or upgrades (memory is the easiest with old machines, but only gets you so far), malware checks (ComboFix [may want to reserve this for known malware situations], malwarebytes, avira/avast for ongoing virus protection), CCleaner registry/temp file cleaner, and the final fresh reimage ... there isn't anything else for you to do besides recommend a new OS or new computer.