you're a 100 inch sized trinitron tv. even a 3 year old can turn you off.

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Hardware
yeah thats the line of a joke similar to the question i am asking here today. thing is, i have on my friend's computer intel extreme overclocked processing rig with 16 gb of ram gskill triple channel low latency with a dual sli'd (or x fire) oc'd 6990 hds on a gigabyte x58 ud2h. i also have a regular dvd burner. why is it that if the dvd or any optical media is inserted and has scratches on its surface, it brings a monstrous computer like this to its knees?

i put the cd in, it has a few scratches and the system is trying to read the disc and hangs the entire system. the cores are sleeping, the ram is virtually unused and the dual xfired gpus are sleeping like a quadcore rig playing solitaire and yet after inserting a mildly scratched cd the system hangs like a pentium 166 with a 2mb pci video card no mmx trying to play crysis.

i want to know the engineering reason why this phenomena is going on. is the optical drive tied to the irq or dma or something like that, why is it when you insert a mildly scratched disc into an optical drive the system becomes unusable?

i want to know because this is pissing me off.

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    My guess is that it is your disk controller that the optical is hooked up to has a driver that halts the system when it detects read errors. Usually Intel's drivers do this, the standard Windows drivers don't.

I really think it's at the software level anyways. You could always boot in to Ubuntu or some other, and then throw in a scratched disk ... see what happens there.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I really think it's at the software level anyways. You could always boot in to Ubuntu or some other, and then throw in a scratched disk ... see what happens there.

I agree, with this codicil set: Windows will at least pause for a lomg time or huge time if you have Windowss set to default to Autoplay on insert(especially if the autoplay file area has a scratch over it or the Setup or media-playing file area is scratched over) or browse and the disc has a scratch over the root directory record(Windows can hang while browsing if subdirectory areas you are trying browse into are corrupted or not readable by a scratch over them-- Windows Explorer is coded for hard drives and can lock-- Microsoft now gives more time of not responding in Windows Explorer abending it, which does a Windows hang-and-lock fixable only by pressing the power button). So far, turning off autoplay means you have to browse, find Setup.exe or the equivalent manually, and run it. Old discs may have setup programs that hang if the media is not CD R/W or DVD-RAM(some of them tried uncompressing in the directory they were run from unless custom called from an autoplay file).
  • SweettheSourSweettheSour Creve Coeur, Illinois, United States
    edited September 2011
    You could always boot in to Ubuntu or some other, and then throw in a scratched disk ... see what happens there.

Verily.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Verily.

i used one of microsofts fix it exe files to patch up autorun and autoplay. i don't mind manually installing my software. i think thats how it should be done anyways. the reason i disabled auto run and auto play on all drives is for security reasons. all viruses and malware nowadays make some autoexec or autorun.inf of the sort to start doing all the nasty things. considering the severity of all the malware, i don't think any professional power user should be using autorun/play at all.

second, with those features DISABLED on ALL DRIVES it still continues to hang. and it locks up completely! and then the computer gives the blue screen after it throws in the towel. but thanks for the ubuntu trial test i will ubuntu the scratched disc and see what happens :) thats SOOOO helpful.