Stereo Headset equally great for gaming and music?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Hardware
My trusty old Everglide headphones are starting to show some serious wear, it's time to consider a new headset.

I'd like a plain old stereo headset with a little boom microphone built into it. I'm not into headphone "surround" I think it sounds awful. Two Hi Fidelity channels will do just fine. My big issue is in finding something that sounds as sweet with music as it does for gaming audio. Also, I'd prefer to keep the cost reasonable, budgeting $100 tops, but preferably getting closer to around $50 if we can.

I don't mind big cans but they can't look space aged and "gamerized". I prefer them to be open air, but it is not an absolute must, I do like a little sound to get in from the outside, and I like for those drivers to breathe, I have a smaller set of Sennheiser open air headphones that I use for working out and they sound phenomenal for their small size.

Anyone have any experience with Sennheiser chat headsets, do they keep that wonderful musicality, or are they boomy, lower fidelity for 15 year old kids that don't know any better? How about something else, does anyone have a headset they recommend for both music and gaming?

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    May not be entirely what you're looking for, but I use the Koss SB/45, and I'm very happy with them. Sound is good enough for me, but I'm no audiophile. Only drawback I can think of is that after a while (year and a half or so for me) something breaks due to its somewhat non-rugged, plastic construction, but for that price, well, I'm not really expecting much.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Sennheiser makes good stuff, but you won't find what you're looking for from them without dropping $130 on the PC-350s.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Jokke wrote:
    May not be entirely what you're looking for, but I use the Koss SB/45, and I'm very happy with them. Sound is good enough for me, but I'm no audiophile. Only drawback I can think of is that after a while (year and a half or so for me) something breaks due to its somewhat non-rugged, plastic construction, but for that price, well, I'm not really expecting much.

I second the SB45. You really can't go wrong with Koss in my experience. If it wasn't for my apparently borked mic jacks, I would be using an SB45 now.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thanks guys. I'm familiar with the Koss headsets and for the price its actually really surprising how decent they are.

The PC-350's are just a little outside of range. I bet they sound pretty amazing, but I really need to stick to budget.

Anyone ever have a chance to try out the PC-161? I hate to buy one of these things to have to consider returning it, but there just is no reasonable way to demo these things.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can order it, mess with it, and return it if you don't like it. They pay shipping both ways.

I just went through 8 headsets this way before finally deciding to stick with my current setup.