If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

This is why you're single.

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited Dec 2011 in The Icrontic Pub

Comments

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    The earth...
    edited Sep 2011
    Thrax said:
    The earth...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Holy crap, Earth? Really?

Oh internet, you so crazy.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Earth is way bigger than the sun. Proof - you can see the whole sun, you can not see the whole Earth.
    edited Sep 2011
    Judging by her answer to the second question, I'm pretty sure she thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    wait, I just noticed - this site gives you an enemy percentage?
    edited Sep 2011
    Yeah, you can answer a question, you can say what answers you would accept from the other person, and how important it is to you. For instance, it is very important to me that the girl I'm dating understand the Sun is bigger than the Earth, so that particular answer increased her enemy percentage.

This is why OKCupid is so awesome. There are many tools you can use to filter out people you know you'd be incompatible with from the very beginning.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    They have some great questions, too. Belief in dinosaurs, evolution, religion, etc are all tested. There are even math problems.
    edited Sep 2011
    it should also be pointed out that okcupid used to be the spark.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Mountains Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    I'd suggest real life dating and finding all this information out the classic hard way. You may find the love of your life has a completely different view on religion than you. You don't want to find yourself dating dj meph with tits and no beard.
    Anyways, earf is pretty big.
    FettBacon
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    PirateNinja said:
    I'd suggest real life dating and finding all this information out the classic hard way.
    I'm gonna chime in here for a minute.

I heard this a lot when I was single for so long. I'd like to make a point.

Guys like me and DJ Meph are extremely social. I mean, I was out there a lot, hanging out, going to events, being outgoing, social, meeting strangers, talking to everyone. My single years were the years I got into Twitter and the thriving Detroit social media scene. Believe me, I was out there. Somehow, with all this magical outgoing behavior in the thriving Detroit social scene, I remained single for years and years.

Norm is even more social than me. This guy DJs at gigs, travels, plans parties, he is hot on the scene.

There's something you're missing, and it's a vital part of the "big guys" dating scene, and it's something not a lot of people talk about: Most women are just as shallow as men. They make snap judgments about a person based on his weight, his look, whatever.

My point is: It's MUCH, much harder for a fat guy to find a date "in the real world" than it is for a guy who is physically attractive right off the bat, no matter what our other redeeming qualities are.

While I didn't meet Nicole on OkCupid, she DID scope me out online before agreeing to meet with me; she liked my OkCupid profile, my pictures showed that I was silly and fun, etc.

If Norm wants my advice, which he may not because he didn't ask, it would be to continue using OKCupid, because it rocks.
    sharkydartlmorchard
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    I'd suggest real life dating and finding all this information out the classic hard way.
    :rolleyes: Times change. Dating changes. Telling people to do "real life dating" is patronizing and ignorant.
    sharkydart
    edited Sep 2011
    i am not that narrow-minded that i wouldn't date someone with different beliefs than me. however, i feel it's important to know where they stand. if there is a hell, i am surely going there after i die. a religious woman who believes in hell is going to eventually resent our religious differences somewhere down the road, when she starts to think about the afterlife and how we will be separated by death. i've seen it happen before to many married couples and it always ends in mysery. i don't think i'm missing out on anything by trying to prevent that from happening.
    edited Sep 2011
    ouch my bad ... something was lost in translation and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a dick. I did online dating in the past too .. my comment wasn't about that. I wrote it poorly.
    What I meant was to give people a chance even if they don't share the same meta data, and online databases like this make it really easy to quickly discard people.
    QuadyTheTurnip
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    I know of 3 MARRIED couples that found love through dating sites. I do not want a carbon copy of me. Noell is NOT anywhere close to a carbon copy of me. However, even after knowing her for 3 years before marriage, there are things I am still finding out that are kind of big deals. We roll with them because of our history and willingness to adapt. However, it is something we have to deal with and are a sore spot. There are many things that would make our relationship better if those would have been discovered and worked out beforehand.

For instance... I am spiritual but NOT in anyway comfortable with "Structured Religion Inc." and it has caused fights. I am VERY liberal in many ways but also VERY conservative in a few ways. She is middle of the road...

So... as long as using those online sites do not require you to marry anyone they state is compatible, it's just an ice breaker. You act like an ass on your first date, you might very well make that 90% compatible become 20%.
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Two words in one: Craigslist.
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Blind luck.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    As a partially related aside: thoughts on messages from girls/guys you consider unattractive/do not like what you see on profile or answers, etc. Should you return something or nothing?
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Something. But not a bitchy something like that jerkboat above. A tactful response.

Also, I think differing religions is a no-go if you ever want to have children. The arguments about whether or not to raise them religious could easily rip a relationship apart.
    edited Sep 2011
    Thanks Annes.
    edited Sep 2011
    Tushon said:
    As a partially related aside: thoughts on messages from girls/guys you consider unattractive/do not like what you see on profile or answers, etc. Should you return something or nothing?
    This is exactly what I was trying to say shouldn't happen (just in my opinion). I think you should give people a chance and take them out to really find out what they are about. To just say well they are in to X and I'm in to Y, it will never work is a bit silly .. again in my opinion. I don't know much about anything, but I do think the if it will work out or not takes more than just looking over a profile and giving the thumbs up or down. I think people need to agree to meet up or have some conversation before they make that decision, otherwise they could easily miss out. Everything depends, and there are no simple answers when it comes to differences. That's all I got.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Thread
    TLDR; Never Judge a Book By It's Cover, Even the Jacket Notes. Read The First Chapter.
    edited Sep 2011
    PirateNinja said:
    This is exactly what I was trying to say shouldn't happen (just in my opinion). I think you should give people a chance and take them out to really find out what they are about. To just say well they are in to X and I'm in to Y, it will never work is a bit silly .. again in my opinion. I don't know much about anything, but I do think the if it will work out or not takes more than just looking over a profile and giving the thumbs up or down. I think people need to agree to meet up or have some conversation before they make that decision, otherwise they could easily miss out. Everything depends, and there are no simple answers when it comes to differences. That's all I got.
    I definitely get that, and I'm not necessarily getting at "we disagree about this on the question that someone wrote and worded a certain way" and more of a "I'm in no way attracted to this person but they messaged me, so what is nicer: nothing or a nice reply stating not interested".
    edited Sep 2011
    I am also not of the belief that there is one perfect person out there for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are many semi-perfect people out there who have their own thing going on, and eventually I'll commit to one if we can figure out how to make our independent lives work together.
    edited Sep 2011
    Totally agreed.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Have to chime in, because a few weeks ago I actually met someone amazing off OkCupid. This Summer, I decided to go ahead and give OkCupid a shot. When you aren't in school anymore, and work with a bunch of 40 and 50-year olds, and don't want to meet someone in a bar, it can be difficult to meet someone. I just wanted to try it and see what was out there.

Online dating, and the questions OkCupid asks focuses on several different areas, and rates your compatibility accordingly. Honestly, I wouldn't talk to anyone with less than 80% compatibility. Yes, it may take away from some of the getting to know someone the "natural" and "in person" way, but it ensures that this person is answering these questions, without knowing what your answers are, and they aren't saying just what you want to hear. Or not saying anything at all. Meeting someone the "old-fashioned" way, you may end up being with someone for 1, 2, 3, or more years, and may not truly know their stance on politics, religion, finances, etc. because they may hold it in, they may compromise for you (with or without you asking them to), or they may just not tell you a lot of things. And yes, when you have kids, differences in religion and family are a huge deal. They are also with marriage. Ensuring you are compatible on these levels provides opportunity to only really have to deal with the personality compatibility when you meet someone in person, rather than the opposite process with in person dating.

Online dating may streamline things, and some people may think it is less fun, but it can also prevent future headaches.

I met someone I am 89% compatible with, and when we met in person, our personalities clicked, and we conveniently have a similar and compatible sense of humor. It makes the beginning of this relationship that much easier, because we knew the basic stances we had on particular things, and could ask and discuss them in more detail in person, providing a stronger comfort-level in discussing these things, and having things to talk about.

I'd recommend OkCupid to anyone. It doesn't hurt.
  • GargoyleGargoyle Illinois Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    Had a bunch of good dates on OkCupid, met some friends, but nothing went anywhere relationship-wise. Met someone randomly, hit it off. Me and statistics have never seen eye to eye, anyway.

Try online dating, because if you're moping about being lonely and haven't tried online dating, you're not trying hard enough. Just don't expect any one particular method to necessarily work, just because it worked for someone else. Even OkCupid is subject to chance. Think of 89% compatible as meaning "you're 89% likely to be compatible with this person" (based on a handful of questions that are nowhere near a scientific survey) instead of "you guys agree about 89% of all the things." Compatible is binary, not something you can be "kinda" about. So, how many 89%ers are you really compatible with? Just try, and find out.
    edited Sep 2011
    Gargoyle said:
    Had a bunch of good dates on OkCupid, met some friends, but nothing went anywhere relationship-wise. Met someone randomly, hit it off. Me and statistics have never seen eye to eye, anyway.

Try online dating, because if you're moping about being lonely and haven't tried online dating, you're not trying hard enough. Just don't expect any one particular method to necessarily work, just because it worked for someone else. Even OkCupid is subject to chance. Think of 89% compatible as meaning "you're 89% likely to be compatible with this person" (based on a handful of questions that are nowhere near a scientific survey) instead of "you guys agree about 89% of all the things." Compatible is binary, not something you can be "kinda" about. So, how many 89%ers are you really compatible with? Just try, and find out.
    Does my 1 fit in your 0? Yes? We are compatible.
    edited Sep 2011
    MAGIC said:
    Does my 1 fit in your 0? Yes? We are compatible.
    LOL, yeah compatibility is definitely not binary, and anyone who thinks so is setting themselves up for failure in their relationships. People like to think that when they are falling in love they are going to be with the same person for the rest of their life, and that's a great goal to have. However, both people are going to change during the relationship and it's important to understand that when going in. Compatibility is not only a dark, grey area, it's temporary, and the future of a relationship has more to do with the ability to adapt and empathize than it does with compatibility.

I think people try to idealize relationships too much, and that is what causes a lot of problems between couples. As people grow older and their views and their goals change, one person might not think that the relationship has reached that idealist vision they had when they first started dating, or when they first got married, and it causes resentment.

I've had the privilege of mostly being single and watching my friends relationships fail over and over again for more than a decade. It has certainly given me a new perspective and outlook on relationships.
    edited Sep 2011
    djmeph said:
    LOL, yeah compatibility is definitely not binary, and anyone who thinks so is setting themselves up for failure in their relationships. People like to think that when they are falling in love they are going to be with the same person for the rest of their life, and that's a great goal to have. However, both people are going to change during the relationship and it's important to understand that when going in. Compatibility is not only a dark, grey area, it's temporary, and the future of a relationship has more to do with the ability to adapt and empathize than it does with compatibility.

I think people try to idealize relationships too much, and that is what causes a lot of problems between couples. As people grow older and their views and their goals change, one person might not think that the relationship has reached that idealist vision they had when they first started dating, or when they first got married, and it causes resentment.
    I did make my post sound very "binary" with compatibility, and I really agree with what you said here about having the ability to adapt and empathize as the relationship and individuals involved change. People do indeed change. some more than others. Being able to be emphatic, being able to forgive, and being able to communicate about problems and disagreements are huge factors in the success of a relationship.
    edited Sep 2011
    When it comes to relationships I feel like the cobbler whose children have no shoes. I've seen a lot, and I've learned from the mistakes of the people around me and thankfully, I've dodged a few bullets. I have found that my perspective on relationships is different than most women, and I think that it is hard for some women to accept. Not to mention, like Brian said earlier, that I find most women to be very shallow. It's hard for them to wrap their mind (or their arms) around me and look at things from outside of their idealized view. I'm fat and I don't own a house or drive a BMW. You'd be surprised how much of a deal-breaker that is to most women. My hope is that I will eventually be able to take all of this experience and apply it towards a successful relationship in the future. In the meantime I'm not willing to sacrifice my happiness for the sake of having someone. I think I'm an awesome person. I would want to date me. One day I'll find someone that feels the same way.
    edited Sep 2011
    In my opinion, I think a lot of men are just as shallow, if not more shallow than women. Those are just generalities, though, each person is different. Each person is attracted to different types of people.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Sep 2011
    1 in 6 marriages start online

4 in 6 divorces start online

stay single, the odds are against ya :p
    edited Sep 2011
    WagsFTW said:
    In my opinion, I think a lot of men are just as shallow, if not more shallow than women. Those are just generalities, though, each person is different. Each person is attracted to different types of people.
    agreed, but i can only speak for myself on that subject.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    djmeph said:
    I think I'm an awesome person. I would want to date me.
    I agree. Wait, what?;D
    edited Oct 2011
    djmeph said:
    [...] I have found that my perspective on relationships is different than most women, and I think that it is hard for some women to accept. Not to mention, like Brian said earlier, that I find most women to be very shallow. It's hard for them to wrap their mind (or their arms) around me and look at things from outside of their idealized view. I'm fat and I don't own a house or drive a BMW. You'd be surprised how much of a deal-breaker that is to most women. My hope is that I will eventually be able to take all of this experience and apply it towards a successful relationship in the future. [...]
    What kind of relationships have you been observing? I've found a great deal more variety among women, and none have expected a BMW out of me. I can't help but wonder if some of the women you've met aren't especially shallow (beyond the average human), but it's easy to see it that way when a woman in her 30s is probing to find out if you're family material because they eventually want 2.5 kids, a bungalow, etc.

Maybe I'm way off base, and I certainly mean no offense. But damn, if most women you meet really are shallow, then maybe it's time to meet entirely different kinds of women. Entirely. Tried hippie chicks? Then all you need is good weed. (it was my turn to generalize)
    djmeph said:
    LOL, yeah compatibility is definitely not binary, and anyone who thinks so is setting themselves up for failure in their relationships.
    We're conceptualizing "compatibility" differently. I mean it more fatalistically, that it either works or it doesn't.
    edited Oct 2011
    I observe all kinds of relationships. For instance, my best friend and his girlfriend of 4 years just broke up. He is my age. They met when she was 19 and, as I predicted, everything started to fall apart when she turned 21. They got into this codependent relationship and it ended disastrously. That seems to happen a lot to my friends.

I used to really like this girl who I had become good friends with. I let her know how I felt and she did not feel the same way about me. She proceeded to date another one of my friends, (who I don't talk to anymore) who verbally and physically abused her, and treated her like a Saigon whore. I ended up losing respect for both of them, but it really hurts when I think why did she want to be with him over me?

Then there are my female friends who get into relationships with dudes that they are only interested in a few of their good qualities, which are typically their looks and/or job. The guy doesn't exactly fit their ideal image of what they really want, so they try to change him, and they keep trying, and they get real disappointed that he stays exactly the same.

Then there are the married couples I know who probably should have seen the signs before they got married, and it's not even a year later one or both of them is already cheating and they are both completely miserable.

My Aunt and Uncle went through a lot of issues because my Aunt is a Jehovah's Witness and my Uncle grew up Lutheran. I don't think he really cared too much about religion, but he definitely didn't want to be a JW. They were separated for a while, and almost got divorced. My uncle loves her so much that he eventually caved in and adopted her religion, now my family treats him like an alien.

These are just a few examples, but I've taken from these experiences anything I can learn that will help me. Religious differences can obviously cause a world of problems. I won't let a woman try to change who I am to better suit her idealistic view, and that has caused many problems. I stay away from young girls because I know they will end up resenting me later, and wondering how it would have been different if they had dated other people. I even dated a girl for about a year who started to push me into getting married. The signs were all there that we had a lot of work to do on our relationship, but she insisted that it was the next step and gave me an ultimatum, so I ended it.

As sad as this may sound, I think I keep running into the same problems with relationships because I'm attracting similar types of girls who are either desperate or extremely insecure. That has only recently started to change for me, partly because I have been working on improving my own self-esteem, and partly because a certain someone has been helping me put myself out there in a way to attract the type of women I want to date. I still feel like I have a long way to go, but at least there is a light at the end of my sad, lonely tunnel.
    edited Oct 2011
    Oh, here's a doozy for y'all. I once dated this girl whose dad left her mom for another man. She had all kinds of issues, but the thing that really got to me was that she would flip out if I ever acted even the slightest bit effeminate.

And I've probably dated every single brand of crazy girl that is out there, which is always awesome at first. Then I start to feel like I'm going crazy. The last cray cray girl I dated, the last thing she ever said to me was, "I'M HAVING AN ABORTION! (click)" On a voicemail. Which was weird since I didn't even know she was pregnant.
    edited Oct 2011
    djmeph said:
    The last cray cray girl I dated, the last thing she ever said to me was, "I'M HAVING AN ABORTION! (click)" On a voicemail. Which was weird since I didn't even know she was pregnant.
    Should just text her back: "acknowledged."
    edited Oct 2011
    That's exactly what she wanted. And she was lying. I had just begun to unravel this huge web of lies she had me believing, so at that point I didn't believe a word that came out of her mouth.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Dizzy Pirate Hooker Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    djmeph said:
    I observe all kinds of relationships. For instance, my best friend and his girlfriend of 4 years just broke up. He is my age. They met when she was 19 and, as I predicted, everything started to fall apart when she turned 21. They got into this codependent relationship and it ended disastrously. That seems to happen a lot to my friends.

I used to really like this girl who I had become good friends with. I let her know how I felt and she did not feel the same way about me. She proceeded to date another one of my friends, (who I don't talk to anymore) who verbally and physically abused her, and treated her like a Saigon whore. I ended up losing respect for both of them, but it really hurts when I think why did she want to be with him over me?

Then there are my female friends who get into relationships with dudes that they are only interested in a few of their good qualities, which are typically their looks and/or job. The guy doesn't exactly fit their ideal image of what they really want, so they try to change him, and they keep trying, and they get real disappointed that he stays exactly the same.

Then there are the married couples I know who probably should have seen the signs before they got married, and it's not even a year later one or both of them is already cheating and they are both completely miserable.

My Aunt and Uncle went through a lot of issues because my Aunt is a Jehovah's Witness and my Uncle grew up Lutheran. I don't think he really cared too much about religion, but he definitely didn't want to be a JW. They were separated for a while, and almost got divorced. My uncle loves her so much that he eventually caved in and adopted her religion, now my family treats him like an alien.

These are just a few examples, but I've taken from these experiences anything I can learn that will help me. Religious differences can obviously cause a world of problems. I won't let a woman try to change who I am to better suit her idealistic view, and that has caused many problems. I stay away from young girls because I know they will end up resenting me later, and wondering how it would have been different if they had dated other people. I even dated a girl for about a year who started to push me into getting married. The signs were all there that we had a lot of work to do on our relationship, but she insisted that it was the next step and gave me an ultimatum, so I ended it.

As sad as this may sound, I think I keep running into the same problems with relationships because I'm attracting similar types of girls who are either desperate or extremely insecure. That has only recently started to change for me, partly because I have been working on improving my own self-esteem, and partly because a certain someone has been helping me put myself out there in a way to attract the type of women I want to date. I still feel like I have a long way to go, but at least there is a light at the end of my sad, lonely tunnel.
    I don't think that you need to be female to be shallow. I think that people male, female, gender queer, etc, all end up being about the same amount of shallow. And while it's hard not to, I don't think that comparing yourself to someone else and wondering why you weren't "as good as them" is useless. Everyone finds different things attractive. She wasn't with him because she thought that he was better than you. He just had some sort of quality that you didn't. That doesn't make you worse, it just makes you different. In her case, she might have had some issues that made someone abusive attractive to her, and for that you should pity her. She's probably in a far worse head space than you are when it comes to relationships.

Go on with your bad self, Norm. The ladies will show up at some point.
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    How about this...

HUMANS ARE SHALLOW as a race. There are wonderful people that are not but most have at least some tendencies towards looks. Many rely on the first look and nothing will change their opinion.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Dizzy Pirate Hooker Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    QCH said:
    How about this...

HUMANS ARE SHALLOW as a race. There are wonderful people that are not but most have at least some tendencies towards looks. Many rely on the first look and nothing will change their opinion.
    That's what I said! :D
    edited Oct 2011
    I can only comment on women because I date them, and I don't date men. If women say that men are just as shallow, I'm inclined to agree. However, gay men seem to be more attracted to me than straight women, so how does that work out?
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Member
    edited Oct 2011
    Got here late, but still gonna throw in my two cents...

I view the whole online dating thing as just another "bar scene" for our generation. People meet at bars because it is a social gathering spot. The web has become that as well. I met my wife (of the past four years) through a website and we traded a couple emails before we setup our first date. I don't consider that website to be an integral part of our relationship and I never understood the stigma people placed on it as such. We met there, but our relationship started when we had our first date and it continued in the "real world" from then on.

The way you meet someone is irrelevant to the relationship as a whole, in my opinion, whether it is a bar, the library, a party, online, a dating site, or in a massive dubstep orgy. It's what you do after that counts.
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    I can only comment on women because I date them, and I don't date men. If women say that men are just as shallow, I'm inclined to agree. However, gay men seem to be more attracted to me than straight women, so how does that work out?
    I call this the Beard Attraction Syndrome, where a beard grows in a certain length and fashion, so the electrons and molecules gather in large concentrations between the hairs, leading to an effect not unlike the one found in magnets. Women want to stroke it, men just wish it was theirs, and they're both equally attracted to it. To some weaker souls, the sheer awe of being presented such a force sadly leads them to steer away. Women, often being quoted as "the weaker sex" (I'm not debating the authenticity of this "weaker sex" theory) can't handle the force, but many men can.
    edited Oct 2011
    Jokke said:
    I call this the Beard Magnet Syndrome, where a beard grows in a certain length and fashion, so the electrons and molecules gather in large concentrations between the hairs, leading to an effect not unlike the one found in magnets. Women want to stroke it, men just wish it was theirs, and they're both equally attracted to it.
    This is true and it's science.
    edited Oct 2011
    djmeph said:
    This is true and it's science.
    Seconded.
    edited Oct 2011
    Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. - Lao-Tzu

Someone put that on facebook and I immediately thought of this thread / topic.