How do I put OS on a partition?

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited September 2011 in Science & Tech
I did a clean install of windows 7 after partitioning my hard drive. 31 GB on one partition (C) and 201 on the other (E). 7 is on C. The problem is that when I download a program, quite often I am not given a choice of where to install it and the program goes directley to the C drive. My intention was to have windows on the C drive and everything else on the E drive. How do I go about setting this up correctly?

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    What kind of programs can't you install elsewhere? I can count on one hand the number of programs that I've encountered that won't install anywhere but C:.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited September 2011
    I don't believe it is that they can't go anywhere but C: it's just that they do. I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong. As an example I just downloaded Incredimail (I did not save it and then install). When I downloaded it, it went right to C: Do I have to setup E: as a default or what? I am doing something wrong.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    In almost every program installer that I have encountered, you can choose to install to a different location. Sometimes, you have to select "advanced" to see that option.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Most programs give you the option of an easy and an advanced install, and hide their "where do you want to install" option among the advanced options. When you encounter this, just press the "browse" button and find the folder you want to put the program in. (see screenshot for an example from Firefox)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Greetings,
    Programs are written in a way that they pull your system drive from variables, no drive letters are hard coded in any major program.

That being said if stuff is defaulting to C: you must have some environment variable that is screwy. This might help:
    1. Start
    2. Right click computer
    3. Click properties
    4. Click advanced system settings (on the left)
    5. Click advanced tab
    6. Click environment variables
    7. Look for anything mentioning the C: drive ... note it, post it here, and we will tell you if it's safe to change it to E: