If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Daily deals from around the web

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    $100 7" Android 4.0 Tablet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/?ASIN=B007M55XMQ

Not familiar with the manufacturer so not 100% sure if good deal.

-Digi

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    Good for kids, perbaps. Adults and enthusiasts will want to steer clear.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    256 GB Samsung 830 (basically the best SSD you can get) for $170. Noon to 3pm eastern only!

http://slickdeals.net/f/5247326-Starts-9-26-12-9am-12pm-pt-256gb-Samsung-830-series-ssd-MZ-7PC256B-WW-169-99-Ships-free
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M $269.10 Coupon: DTJHR33$9BQ744 Dell U2412M
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    128gb OCZ Vertex 4 $89.99 with Promo Code EMCJNNH22:

FOR THE NEXT HOUR ONLY
    DAMN. Missed it.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thanks for the heads up, got one.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

FOR THE NEXT HOUR ONLY

Didn't these have an extremely high failure rate? Or was that the Vertex 3?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Signal said:

FOR THE NEXT HOUR ONLY

Didn't these have an extremely high failure rate? Or was that the Vertex 3?
    There was a firmware issue way early in the 3 line, but I don't recall anything since then, but I also don't follow it closely since mine has worked flawlessly.
    That was the 3 lines of vertex/agility (and a few other assorted SSDs around that time I believe?) until they got firmware patches, but the Vertex 4 is fine.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    Humble eBook Bundle

You know... because my to-read pile wasn't big enough already.
    Bastard.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    Tushon said:

Bastard.

We need an "Et tu, Brute?" reaction.
    I think there was an email waiting for me too, but your post made me check it out and sealed it.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Oct 2012
    Factory-unlocked international Samsung Galaxy S III (compatible with AT&T, Bell, Rogers, Telus) -- $499. This is an unbelievable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-S3-GT-I9300-Factory-Unlocked-Phone-16GB-Pebble-Blue-/350617607251
    edited Oct 2012
    AT&T but not T-Mo?

Edit> Nevermind, found my answer:
    Connectivity

Wireless Radio
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
    UMTS 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz

Compatible Carrier & Service
    AT&T, AT&T 3G, T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, Red Pocket, Red Pocket 3G (US Carrier), Rogers, Fido (Canada Carrier)

3G
    AT&T 3G Only

Wi-Fi Support
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

Data transfer
    GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, Wi-Fi
    Not T-Mo.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Oct 2012
    Samsung 830, 256GB, SSD. $159.99 after coupon code/discount code EMCYTZT2359. 10/15/2012 only!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    For anyone debating, that's a pretty good deal on the ssd, but prices for it (and other decent drives) have been hanging around that level for a while now.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Yes, schwaip, I even debated with myself about putting it up in this thread. But the Samsun 830 is about the grade of a Vertex 4, so I thought decent for someone looking for a fairly big SSD.
    I would put the Samsung 830 > Vertex 4.

The new Samsung 840 series look very very tempting for my new PC build
    fatcat said:

I would put the Samsung 830 > Vertex 4.

Not according to 4K IOPS (which was the important one for Windows unless I've fallen behind the times):
    Vertex4 256GB
    120k random write
    90k random read
    vs
    Samsung 830 256GB
    80k random write
    36k random read
    vs
    Samsung 840 256GB
    90k random write
    100k random read
    I'm referring to quality, not IOPS ;)

While I have full confidence in Mr. Eric, I no longer have it in OCZ
    Based on what.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I would appreciate links or facts. I was under the impression that their quality was very high on the vertex 4.
    Thrax said:

Based on what.

edited Oct 2012
    Sigh. I'm talking about the quality of OCZ in general. CEO resigning. Possible Seagate buyout. Stocks going down.

http://icrontic.com/article/alex-mei-steps-in-as-interim-ceo-of-ocz-technology-as-ryan-petersen-resigns

As far as the Vertex 4, numerous firmware releases (meaning product wasn't ready at launch). You can easily google "Vertex 4 issues" and find 1000's of forum posts.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?259-OCZ-Octane-(SATA3)-and-Octane-S2-(SATA2)-Discussion-and-Support

This is all just my opinion, which is what anything is here on Icrontic. I just feel OCZ products are not the top-tier quality they were a few years back.

And, I apologize for taking this off topic
    Vertex 4 has 85k random writes at 4k tushon: Vertex 4 specs

The samsung 830 is notoriously tuned towards read over write, but for everyday tasks, that generally results in the best performance. If you want real tests, tech report's drive bench 2.0 is an amazing 2 week stress test that gives the most useful results when it comes to everyday consumer performance. The blurb at the top explains it. The rest of the article contains the various other numbers if you're interested. Tech Report's Vertex 4 Drive Bench 2.0
    OCZ has the highest volume in the industry last I checked, by a long shot, which would naturally result in a correspondingly higher number of complaints. I don't accept this as evidence of quality, particularly now that I'm in an industry where I know the facts vs. the complaints, and know that it rarely stacks up as described by the squeaky wheels in the public.

Studies suggest that every complaint is a voice for 25 complaints left unsaid. Well, studies also suggest that every complaint also represents 100 happy customers. So, you know, grains of salt, here.

Also, firmware releases mean diddly to represent product readiness. Drivers are the GPU version of firmware; does that mean every driver release you've ever installed is more proof that the product wasn't ready at launch?

Problems happen, yes, and you address them. But the beauty of programmable controllers lies in the fact that you can improve performance, too, as you better understand the uses cases of your product, receive field feedback and better learn the inner workings of the design. OCZ recently did (or will be doing?) that on a large number of drives.