What race are you going to be in Skyrim?

Comments

• branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited November 2011
    My usual strategy with any of these longer games, from Dragon Age Origins to Oblivion to even Europa Universalis III is to play for 20 hours till I really find out how the world works and then restart as the character I actually like. That said, I will probably start as a 100% magic character. To some extent I like it when I can bend the game a bit. I made 100% chameleon armor, and liked the fact that I could. That does not mean that I used it in every play through of Oblivion, but only when I felt like it.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Stupid school and not having Veteran's Day off... Making me burn my personal days in order to spend all day playing Skyrim... Oh well, it'll be worth it... I usually play a stealthy type character so I think I'm going to start a melee oriented character this time...
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Eventually you're going to be forced into fights where sneaking is out of the questions. Think the boss fight with Mankar Camron for example. It wouldn't be as dramatic if you could sneak into his realm and back stab him before he gets to make his pompous speech, would it? Of course, the devs don't warn you beforehand that your cute little specialty will be worthless inn the final fight sso your blissfully skill it up for 30 levels and live to regret it.
    I remember how hard that fight was in my dark assassin armor with my daedric dagger. I was impressed. Not so impressed when I murdered him with one spell in the face before he finished that pompous speech the second time around, though. I had a Breton battlemage named Hermione. I still wake up achingly longing for her sometimes. She's in a state of stasis on my 360, the poor girl.

I think that was my biggest gripe. Stealth game play gained almost nothing in the larger fights. From the perks I've seen in Skyrim, pure Stealth is going to be viable and interesting. Particularly with the ability to practically "reset" a fight in the stealth perks.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    In the past games, I've always had a melee oriented Redguard. No magic or stealth. Only a sword and shield. I always ended up getting bored with the character though. I'm going to start this game off with a male Nord, naturally good at combat, and try to up his magic attacks. But I really want to be stealthy too. AHHHH! I don't know what I want yet. There's too many traits to choose from.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Pfft, sneaking around is for pussies. I always have the urge to jump into the battle, sword and axe raised to strike. Dunno why.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    branmyson wrote:
    My usual strategy with any of these longer games, from Dragon Age Origins to Oblivion to even Europa Universalis III is to play for 20 hours till I really find out how the world works and then restart as the character I actually like.

I think I'll do that this time around, too. Probably start with a Nord, busting up noggins with axes, until I get a feel for things. In Oblivion, I had a bow-dominant Bosmer, so I think starting melee dominant this time and later starting up a battlemage will have covered most of the bases.

Even though I'm not planning to spend much time with a bow, I hope archery duels are a little more challenging this time around. I was always shocked when I actually got hit with an arrow in Oblivion.
  • I-need-a-better-nameI-need-a-better-name Austin Member
    edited November 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I think I'll do that this time around, too. Probably start with a Nord, busting up noggins with axes, until I get a feel for things. In Oblivion, I had a bow-dominant Bosmer, so I think starting melee dominant this time and later starting up a battlemage will have covered most of the bases.
    I never could get into archery in Oblivion. The slow skill increases just got on my nerves and you couldn't train it.
    edited November 2011
    For those unaware, you can preload on steam as of last night.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Is there somewhere I can go to brush up on the different races' backstories/bonuses/characteristics?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Is there somewhere I can go to brush up on the different races' backstories/bonuses/characteristics?

Elder Scrolls I-IV? :)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:

A wiki of course
    edited November 2011
    Wow. I know the data there isn't comprehensive but it looks like Breton got a huge nerf and Altmer got a huge buff. Also, the races specializations are a lot more cohesive. If you're building an assassin, Kajit is the way to go. Argonians are the perfect thieves. Dunmers are the best battlemages, etc. There doesn't seem to be the kind of wiggle room to create a jack of all trades, master of most like there was in Oblivion.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I can haz beard?! WANT!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The existence of beards is truly an amazing thing, now I can make my character look as manly as I'd like him to be NO MORE BABY FACE DAMNIT.

On the topic I'm totally making a Nord, not just for the epic beards but for the amazing melee capability, barbarians and knights are relaxing to play...not that much thinking.

I'll probably make a mage eventually, I am one after-all but mindless killing rarely gets old (Off-topic: Do we run RPG systems here?)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Jokke wrote:
    Pfft, sneaking around is for pussies. I always have the urge to jump into the battle, sword and axe raised to strike. Dunno why.

You're the guy who brings a sword to a gun/magic fight. Go save the world Conan :)

I may break down and steal $60 from my home theater project and get this.
    edited November 2011
    I may have lied regarding my first play through. I have no idea what I'm going to do now...
    edited November 2011
    Standing in line for the game right now. I love doing this. The people you talk to are just so cool.
    edited November 2011
    Gah. If I didn't have a paper due tomorrow I'd be pregaming and warming up the projector. GAH.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    48%...
    edited November 2011
    15 min!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Bah, I wanted the preorder bonus map so I'm stuck waiting until Best Buy opens tomorrow at 10AM. I'm going to bed so it'll get here sooner...
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Its launching. Woot!
    edited November 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    Its launching. Woot!

Why are my fielz still decryptz? NOOOOO
    edited November 2011
    Why did I order the physical version from Amazon like an idiot? Did I really think the map so important? Did I really fool myself that I wouldn't be hurting this badly while other people were able to play while I'm not? WHY THE SHIT IS MY PACKAGE IN KENTUCKY???
    Launch date delivery is balls.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    While you're waiting, give yourself an avatar on Icrontic, plz!
    edited November 2011
    I found a few minutes to play. It actually runs decently on my hardware, much to my surprise. On one screen, anyway. Trying to run it in Eyefinity gave me about 0.5 FPS :/
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    My second life as an Argonian has begun. This game is awesome.
    edited November 2011
    While you're waiting, give yourself an avatar on Icrontic, plz!
    Dang, prime, don't be such a noodge!
    EDIT: The avatar page design is weird. Black text on black background where the radio buttons are. Also, you don't apparently need to save changes. When you try it gievs an error.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Dark Elf female; Working on destruction, one handed weapons, stealth, and lockpicking, with archery on the side.

The two handed combat system is pretty awesome. A fire or lightning spell in my right hand, sword in the left. Something big comes along? Double the fire/lightning. Something really big? Pull out the trusty old bow to whittle them down.
    edited November 2011
    Nord male; Shield, one-handed, destruction, smithing, and SHOUTS!

This game is too good.