Minecraft Server Backups

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Minecraft
I've been reviewing the server backup policy lately and have decided that the current backup system is inadequate. Specifically, the only backups I have are on the server itself. If, for some reason, the server were to blow up, the map would be lost. I started doing off-site backups, however, they're a little bit costly especially since SOMEONE decided to spawn a bunch of new terrain in the middle of nowhere and bloat the map.

What I'm hoping for here is that someone will volunteer to provide off-site backups for the Minecraft map. If you have a box with a static IP/host name and can set up an account for me to use, I can push the backup to it automatically (twice a month perhaps?). Otherwise, you can pull the backup down via HTTP. If no one volunteers, I may need to ask for donations to cover the off-site backup cost.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Dropbox should be sufficient for this, no? Could you setup a free account and use it?

I know you said the file was getting quite large, but 1 copy in DB should be sufficient, just delete when you upload a new one?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I hadn't thought of that... not sure how Dropbox feels about people having multiple accounts.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Yea... maybe get someone who doesn't have one to create one (with a referral) and then give you the password.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I believe SugarCheryl would be happy to contribute to the community by doing this ;-)

I'll make it happen tonight Ardi and shoot you the details.

-Digi
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Digi
    edited November 2011
    :O I didn't do this.... Will do on my lunch today in a bit

-Digi
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My NAS has space. Off-continent backup? :p

Let me know.
    edited November 2011
    If you have the space/bandwidth, and don't mind giving me enough access to rsync the data over a couple times a month that would be ideal.
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    My NAS has space. Off-continent backup? :p

Let me know.

Better Idea! Thanks Snark!

-Digi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Depending on size requirements, I could also do this.

Addressing the random map stuff, I don't know if Bobby already handled it, but could we not say that you did something worthless and infinitely worse than dick towers, then edit it out? /minecraftadminnoob
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Depending on size requirements, I could also do this.

Addressing the random map stuff, I don't know if Bobby already handled it, but could we not say that you did something worthless and infinitely worse than dick towers, then edit it out? /minecraftadminnoob

It has been handled to the extent I could handle it. The rollback tools we have don't seem to be able to roll back generated land. Time would need to be taken to edit it out. Seeing as we will be starting a new map within a couple weeks, it will probably end up being removed after we start the new map.

-Digi
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    PM with info incoming, Ardi.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    It has been handled to the extent I could handle it. The rollback tools we have don't seem to be able to roll back generated land. Time would need to be taken to edit it out. Seeing as we will be starting a new map within a couple weeks, it will probably end up being removed after we start the new map.

-Digi

I figured you had already done whatever you needed. I, for one, welcome our new mining overlords.
This discussion has been closed.