Skyrim stutters on Ultra video settings

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Gaming
HD6970 Crossfire 11.10 drivers

Skyrim stutters and is pretty much unplayable in Ultra settings (which the game auto detects I should use)

High settings work decent, but still some lag in areas.

Any word on some new drivers/cap for Skyrim Thrax?

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Truly nutty... :/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I believe a new CAP/driver is coming out in just a few days. Contains updates for Rage, Skyrim and BF3. Because of Skyrim's sorta-kinda-console-port nature, <s>it has an FPS cap of 60</s>, and it's not terribly friendly with multi-GPU (both companies).

In the interim, you can turn CrossFire off, and that should help.

//EDIT: No FPS cap. Got myself mixed up with another upcoming game.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    so wait...

turn of 45% of my gpu power? Did AMD not test CF on Skyrim prior to game launch?

I love how the answer to playing a game correctly is turn off 1 GPU...
    edited November 2011
    OMG, that would never happen!!! The game devs surely gave all these hardware people advanced copies right?
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    You could always...
    *cough* SLI *cough*
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    so wait...

turn of 45% of my gpu power? Did AMD not test CF on Skyrim prior to game launch?

I love how the answer to playing a game correctly is turn off 1 GPU...

I bet you're glad you spent hundreds of dollars on a second graphics card.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29465&stc=1&d=1321027684
    lul.png 22.9K
    edited November 2011
    Ryder wrote:
    OMG, that would never happen!!! The game devs surely gave all these hardware people advanced copies right?

There are only TWO video card companies, not 9000. This isn't the SSD world.

As a consumer, I expect games to work on launch day. Bethesda should/could have easy sent the game to AMD|nVidia to test

edit:> nVidia has SLi drivers. AMD QUIT FIRING PEOPLE AND GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ;)
    edited November 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    I bet you're glad you spent hundreds of dollars on a second graphics card.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29465&stc=1&d=1321027684

I did. Gas driving there, food, lodging, etc...

ass :vimp:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I did not realize that not having a profile could actually harm performance. Is this usual for all games without them? Guess I should turn CF off and see if it smoothes up.
    edited November 2011
    NV and AMD write profiles for SLI and CF, respectively. No profile = 0% scaling, or negative performance. Writing the profile depends on having an in-house built to develop on before the game is released. This is not always possible for... many reasons.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Ah. I assumed Crossfire would take in DirectX calls and do some generic wizardry, but would switch to advanced wizardry with a CAP. Alas.
    edited November 2011
    GTX 580 SLI vs. HD 6970 CFX
    1321010610aeRYRgoIzT_2_1.gif

GTX 580 vs. HD 6970
    1321010610aeRYRgoIzT_2_2.gif

as you can see until AMD releases the new CAP (next week sometime), Crossfire is a no-go

Hopefully the new CAP/drivers will also increase FPS on non-crossfire configs
    edited November 2011
    or the game just has tweaks for Nvidia... not like we haven't seen that before.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    To play now with one GPU, or to wait...
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    To play now with one GPU, or to wait...

I'm waiting. I want all the eyecandy
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I9BXx.jpg
    edited November 2011
    is that for single or Crossfire Tushon?

going to assume since there are no CAP for Skyrim yet, it's just for single GPU
    edited November 2011
    LOL, those options are utterly retarded. Maxing the AA with MLAA enabled? Enabling SSAA?

Crack rocks.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I have no idea. I just saw it on Reddit, and posted for possible usefulness. I only have nvidia cards due to folding, so I can't validate any of it.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Alright, I love the game, but I have experienced two gamebreaking bugs: My game will start stuttering after a few hours. Especially noticeable if I go outside after being inside. Save, quit game, launch game and load solves that problem. I think my memory might be low or something. Number two are random CTD, no error message or anything. Doesn't matter, I don't have any saves older than 4-5 minutes. These two are the only errors with my game so far. Other than those, it works flawlessly. It's been a while since I've seen such a smooth game at launch.
    edited November 2011
    Both of those issues may or may not be driver related. Most likely not for the second one, especially. This game is... very buggy.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    FWIW Jokke I experience the same stuttering problem revisiting areas of dungeons/cities I've recently been in. Not sure if is the crossfire or what, but figured I'd help you sleep a bit better knowing you're not alone. :/
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I've been mostly OK at reasonable settings on the 9800GT 512MB I have (although I did overclock it a bit). Though not at the tremendous resolutions every one else is playing at, I'm sure (1280x1024 what what).

That said, I've noticed that trying to perform an action at the same time the game is trying to load new textures or attempting to quick save at the same point leads to crashing directly to desktop.
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I disabled crossfirex last night and holy shit is this game running better! Hopefully the driver and CAP will be out soon so i can play this shit on ultra as well!
    edited December 2011