If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Bronies

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited Nov 2011 in Bronies
Here. Have fun.

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    'What a Long Strange Trip It's Been'

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Twilight-clap.gif
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    HAHA we have our own subforum now.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_091NEiHY9hYMWPUQlObTYnXRE6xoUK2jMjZLdt7wdV4tFC20vH-xNwqeMA
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    I love how I'm automatically subscribed to this.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Step #2: Remove from new posts.

7X5zv.gif
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    attachment.php?attachmentid=29483&stc=1&d=1321220290
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    haters gonna hate. Can't put in newest posts? Can't handle it bro?

1318701494968.png

DEAL WITH IT
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Also, MLP subforum is best subforum.

Cheers everypony. I've already had copious whisky and rum tonight. Let the good times roll.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Step #2: Remove from new posts.
    Was done before this discussion started.
    JBoogaloo
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Considering there are a whopping two threads, is there really a reason to remove it from New Posts? I just... don't see it. If anything, Elder Scrolls should also be removed from New Posts, because 4 to 8 threads a day clog up new posts with those.

Or is it just because we're afraid of ponies and the people they might bring to/drive away from the site...?
    edited Nov 2011
    Fear leads to anger
    anger leads to hate

84088%20-%20Bonbon%20animated%20apple_bloom%20daisy%20haters_gonna_hate.gif?1321155213
    JBoogaloo
    edited Nov 2011
    Snark, the mods drew the line when people started posting fanfic. They simply don't want to read daily MLP posts anymore, and the 'new posts' feature is something that is primarily used by them.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Considering there are a whopping two threads, is there really a reason to remove it from New Posts? I just... don't see it. If anything, Elder Scrolls should also be removed from New Posts, because 4 to 8 threads a day clog up new posts with those.

Or is it just because we're afraid of ponies and the people they might bring to/drive away from the site...?

out.gif

Just looking for an excuse to use new gif.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Lincoln wrote:
    Was done before this discussion started.

Nope.

Lbfvz.png
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    djmeph wrote:
    Snark, the mods drew the line when people started posting fanfic. They simply don't want to read daily MLP posts anymore, and the 'new posts' feature is something that is primarily used by them.

What ever happened to "so don't read it?" But ok, two classes of Icrontic users. I get it.

I don't even really identify with this brony stuff, but this is silly. I get it when there are 17 active threads like there were with Travian or Minecraft or whatever else. I don't get it when there are effectively 2 threads. Should we hide the Babe and Dude thread new posts? They might drive away new users, too.
    edited Nov 2011
    I think it's kind of odd, too. I feel denying these topics on newest posts will keep new users or people potentially interested in joining in on the discussion from engaging simply because they won't find it. Pretty much did the same thing with Minecraft - only those playing on our server that knew about the subforum joined the conversation, and even then, discussions became weak.

There was, like, two or maybe three links to fanfics in the single pony thread. People weren't making discussions to talk about fanfics, or to get critiques on their work, or whatever.

And even if they did, who cares? Deal with it.

I purposefully kept all the discussion in one thread to keep it from annoying people. We were talking about the images, mostly, but I considered starting an episode discussion thread, and a thread to help organize IC Pony Streams to make it easier. I decided against it though, to keep things chill. Now one of Icrontic's most active threads goes ignored by the general public. Meh.

1556572-likes.jpg
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Valid points are Valid

-Digi
    edited Nov 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    What ever happened to "so don't read it?" But ok, two classes of Icrontic users. I get it.

I don't even really identify with this brony stuff, but this is silly. I get it when there are 17 active threads like there were with Travian or Minecraft or whatever else. I don't get it when there are effectively 2 threads. Should we hide the Babe and Dude thread new posts? They might drive away new users, too.

Not really good examples, because the dude and babe threads are very serial in nature, and hardly ever go off on any tangents that would warrant a new thread. Also, the posts get pruned after so long.

I guess I see this subforum more as a gift from the mods, and since they are the mods, and they are the ones that HAVE to read the new posts thread, what they say goes. It's a compromise. Be happy!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    The primary reason is because I want Icrontic to be perceived as a technology and gaming site. Visitors to the forums, especially lately, have been treated to an overabundance of ponies. I don't want Icrontic to be <em>perceived</em> as a My Little Pony site, and I'll tell you; I had heard that from new users. I had to agree.

Icrontic is much, much larger than the very vocal brony contingent. It's a signal-to-noise ratio issue. I've had a few complaints from very long-standing members, and frankly, I want to maintain the balance of tech, gaming, and other hobbies; chasing away valuable tech and gaming members in favor of having one minor thing (Brony posts showing up on new posts) is really not worth the tradeoff.

It's a very minor, tiny change. You guys have lost nothing; it's just removed from new posts. This keeps the peace with some of the other members who are actually uncomfortable with the pony stuff.

Please don't pin this as a "OH BRIAN AND MATT DON'T LIKE IT SO THEY MAKE SOME DRACONIAN CHANGE". That's such BS.
    edited Nov 2011
    I'M A COMMUNITY MANAGER. THE COMMUNITY IS BIGGER THAN YOU. DEAL WITH IT. REAL TALK :D
    edited Nov 2011
    Also:
    the 'new posts' feature is something that is primarily used by them

SO not true.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Don't worry about it Prime, we're just griping its perfectly normal.

And I understand completely, some people just don't like it for understandable reasons and because of the frequency of our posts it more often than not overflows the new posts section, which can be unnerving to some.

EDIT: Also we should separate the image/video/discussion threads it's getting hard to follow with everything popping up.
    edited Nov 2011
    1272069741077.jpg

Never was.
    edited Nov 2011
    I understand it, I just don't like that the exclusion has killed discussion momentum. Unless you're specifically looking for it, you can't come upon a discussion that you might want to contribute to. You may end up missing it altogether. This applies to new and old members alike.

It killed discussion about Minecraft, and it'll pretty much do the same thing here. We had one thread, and I worked to keep everything in that one thread. Not sure how it was a signal/noise ratio issue when there was only one instance of discussion ever showing up on newest posts.

It is a video game/tech site, but enthusiasts talk about other things. If that's the thought process, why not remove all threads in general banter? We don't want people to think this is a shaving site, or a site about cars, or Babes, or silly videos, or dub step, or whatever else. One thread. Not a world of discussion topics.

Seriously, I'm not trying to troll, just trying to fully understand.

Ilriyas wrote:
    EDIT: Also we should separate the image/video/discussion threads it's getting hard to follow with everything popping up.

Don't worry, I'm going to take care of that. Was thinking about doing that already. We've got this subforum space, might as well use it.

Hell, might as well set me to subforum mod, Prime. I can handle stuff here.
    edited Nov 2011
    Brian, I can see where you're coming from on this, but Lynx does have a point. Removal of Minecraft from the new posts did kill quite a bit of the ongoing discussion there, and I can't tell you how long I thought people had stopped talking about it myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have a subforum now, but would it be possible to have, say, the thread announcing synctube viewings in recent posts? It'd be a great help in getting the word out.
    edited Nov 2011
    Also:

SO not true.
    Yeah, I'll just shut up now.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Bobby, it's because the Brony thread has grown exponentially in such a short span of time. Especially compared to other topics. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that it can get pretty busy, and ponies end up being a very prevalent topic on the New Posts thing.

it's something that happens a lot when ponies are involved, it seems. We're a very active, vocal bunch. It's how we seem to be. Myself, even as big of a pony enthusiast as I am, can see Brian's point. Will it have side-effects? Probably, yeah. But honestly, I think it's one of the better concessions that one could make whilst keeping things cool around here. It's certainly a lot better than Somthing Awful's salt-the-earth approach where they completely closed the ponies thread there and made pony discussion a bannable offense.

Which, when you think about it, is one of the many ways this place is so much better than a lot more communities out there. Trust me when I say that this is definately one of the more civil and accomodating ways that admins have dealt with the explosive subject of ponies. It may not be perfect, but it'll make a lot more people happy than not.
    edited Nov 2011
    cola wrote:
    Would it be possible to have, say, the thread announcing synctube viewings in recent posts? It'd be a great help in getting the word out.

The synchtube viewings can go on the official Icrontic calendar:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93945

Anybody can subscribe to it through Google Calendar, it's public.

Bobby, you're a mod now.
    edited Nov 2011
    Sweet, that works perfectly for me ^^