I am trying to help my sister fix her netbook, it is a Dell model 1012 and I can not get it connected to the internet (wifi or wired). The problem started about a week ago, here is a summary of what happens:
- I click on our network to connect
- I am prompted to insert the network password
- The icon in the notification area appears to be connected (the bars are all white, however the yellow exclamation mark is present)
- When I click on the icon, the box says currently connected to "unidentified network" and underneath it says (no internet access)
- The details say the IP address is 169.254.73.112, I have tried manually setting the IP address and gateway but I still get the same results
- Also I have tried this on multiple networks, same result
- I have uninstalled/installed all wireless drivers and installed all BIOS updates
Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong or how to diagnose this further? I want to do a fresh install of windows 7, however it being a netbook it doesnt have a cd rom drive and I don't want to mess with creating a bootable usb drive.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!