If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Connection problem with Dell Netbook 1012

slabbed11slabbed11 Houston, TX
edited Nov 2011 in Technology
Hello all,

I am trying to help my sister fix her netbook, it is a Dell model 1012 and I can not get it connected to the internet (wifi or wired). The problem started about a week ago, here is a summary of what happens:

- I click on our network to connect
- I am prompted to insert the network password
- The icon in the notification area appears to be connected (the bars are all white, however the yellow exclamation mark is present)
- When I click on the icon, the box says currently connected to "unidentified network" and underneath it says (no internet access)
- The details say the IP address is 169.254.73.112, I have tried manually setting the IP address and gateway but I still get the same results
- Also I have tried this on multiple networks, same result
- I have uninstalled/installed all wireless drivers and installed all BIOS updates

Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong or how to diagnose this further? I want to do a fresh install of windows 7, however it being a netbook it doesnt have a cd rom drive and I don't want to mess with creating a bootable usb drive.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Set it up to automatically detect settings in the internet options connections area and use a browser after trying to connect. Your sister's netbook should be set up with a wired connect when doing this. What happens then??? The IP you gave is a default IP when it is getting no IP at all or the manual IPs entered do not work.

A couple things-- Did you install an antivirus or firewall on the net-book in the last week??? Is your Internet router password protected and keyed??? Do you know that if you install a generic Windows 7 you might lose all the drivers specific to the net-book that came pre-installed on it-- and then have to go get them all and reload them???