Ringtones

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Science & Tech
My Google-fu is weak. I wanted to get some different ringtones, but you can imagine the kind of stuff that shows up in Google results. Every fiber in my body tells me not to click those links, and those I checked out anyway were pretty abysmal. Might as well search for email smilies. Does anyone have any good resources to recommend?

I know about Ringdroid. Not looking to roll my own out of songs.

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2011
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    What phone? You can make your own on Android (Ringdroid) and iPhone.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    mobile17
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I use the default iPhone ringtone on my Evo4G so when it goes off at work all the iPhone owners look at their phone ;) (which is 75% of my coworkers)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    If you've got an android, you can just put any MP3 in your ringtones directory, though I've found a few that simply don't work, and I haven't been able to figure out what's different about them.

I get all my ringtones from http://www.soundboard.com/category/Games.aspx
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Not looking to roll my own out of songs.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I don't use any songs. I use mostly video game sound effects. but there is no 'rolling' required on Android. He didn't specify his brand of bananular.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how I missed that ... I have no idea about pre-made ringtones sites that are safe.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone; these are some good leads to check out. To clarify, I know about Android's ability to use most sound formats and Ringdroid for editing them on the phone, I just need a place for good source material that's easy to navigate.

Soundboard has a lot of video game content that would be great for SMS notifications, but not wanting to pay them money adds more steps to the process. I suppose I'll only need 2-3 different tones, though. Googling for specific video game sound effects is working out pretty well, though (eg: Zelda)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    I use the default iPhone ringtone on my Evo4G so when it goes off at work all the iPhone owners look at their phone ;) (which is 75% of my coworkers)

Thats hilarious! Need to give that a shot. Now I want to get a job at Apple just so I can troll every single employee.

Garg, I always make my own as well. Anyone who's been around my phone in the last two years knows that the one thing it's good for are my ringtones - it's a museum of classic and modern video game music, individualized for each contact.

I find the song that I want on YouTube, and pull out a wave editor (though any simple recording program will work). I set the input to "stereo mix", which will record the direct audio feed from your soundcard or onboard. Then play the song on youtube, save it down, toss it on the phone.

I actually pad all of my ringtones with 3-4 seconds of silence. That way when I recieve a call, the phone will vibrate for a few seconds before it makes noise. If I'm in an environment where I don't want to disrupt others, as if I forgot to silence my phone, it gives me a second to mute it before game tunes start blasting. It's a habit from working in a television studio.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It's a habit from working in a television studio.

Like the habit of not walking around in the background carrying pies during a broadcast?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Like the habit of not walking around in the background carrying pies during a broadcast?

Old habits die hard, man.