XSi upgrade questions

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Lifestyle
My wife has a 2 year old XSi that's completely stock, including the lens (eek!).

Over the past year she has really started taking a lot of pictures and is looking into some upgrades. She's hinted that these are the items she want to get first (eg, Christmas).

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=wl_it_dp_v?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJJRPUG7M7N73&colid=6OQNMLH6RGOE

Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL II Electronic Flash - http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-DigiFlash-Electronic-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004E2XC64/ref=wl_it_dp_v?ie=UTF8&coliid=ISBOWYRSQI5VC&colid=6OQNMLH6RGOE

I know pretty much nothing about DSLRs let alone upgrades. So I come to you :bigggrin: I know prime, snark, and others are big photo enthusiasts.

Are those good upgrades/purchases? Is there something else you would recommend?

I'm looking at spending $150ish, up to $200 if needed - I just want to make sure I get something that is going to be a good purchase and not a worthless upgrade.

Thanks! :jared:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I've had the 50mm f/1.8 II lens for a few years. It's cheap, but awesome. Definitely a good purchase.

Don't know anything about the flash, though.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    I've had the 50mm f/1.8 II lens for a few years. It's cheap, but awesome. Definitely a good purchase.

Don't know anything about the flash, though.

+1 on the lens. You would need to spend a lot more for better.

That flash is awesome and about the best choice for under $250. As a matter of fact, the higher priced flash units don't really offer much more for the difference in cost. I would get a diffuser and/or deflector to soften it for anything less than 15 feet. Your wife has done her homework well!
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    She went to jared.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say they "don't really offer much more," but yes, both of those choices are good entries for her. :) The 50 1.8 in particular is a common and popular choice. Well-picked indeed.