[BLOG] That old job/new job waiting game

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Do you ever have an epiphany? Where the worlds all come together, planets align and coffee just tastes that little better than it does any other morning of the week you care to name? Well this cold, miserable, wet English morning I had one.

I drove the sluggish route to the back end of nowhere that vaguely resembles the new office my old job are working in. Gone are the glory days of a busy three floor building, full to the brim with nearly 900 people. Now we are just a handful of retrained IT & business people in a little washroom sized office babysitting old legacy systems until the end of the migrations. My colleagues have no faith left, no desire or drive. It's a ghost, a shell of it's former self. This morning I am no longer feeling like that, a feeling I have had for nearly 15 months....

T-minus 3 weeks before this role finishes and a new one in a new company begins. I had a call from them today asking for my first decision regarding infrastructure in my new job. I felt challenged, elated and valued. After months of repeating myself for no one to listen to me, doing support work because there is nothing else to do or no one else to do it, the sweep tide of change happens in a 5 minute phone call.

While typing this, another project just got canned at the final stages. Why? No one knows. Me? I don't care now. I should care, I would have cared, I would have been upset, frustrated and angry at the waste of my time and hard work. That epiphany this morning was to shrug, drink my latte and carry on wrapping up work. I will do my job here for the next 15 working days to completion. There is no one to handover to. Just plod to the end of these three weeks. It's nothing, it's easy. I can do this.

I can see a goal now that seemed to have slipped from my grasp in the cloud of outsourcing, mass redundancy, downgraded job titles and constant threat of unemployment. A career path back onto track.

Let the countdown begin, the countdown to the extinction of this dead end job and the birth of a new step forward into the new one. A step up, a step beyond.

Comments