[BLOG] DIY Hardware Store CNC Router w/pictures

KometeKomete Member
edited November -1 in Community
Part 1

Well I didn’t finalize the design for the complete build like I wanted, but I did manage to get the table done. There should be any problems with nut and bolts getting in the way with each other. That actually is a little tougher than it sounds.

Scott, brought up some great concerns and solutions. Scot is a machinist by trade and I plan on bugging him time to time. Since I’m planning to use cold roll steel for rails, I’ll never be able to get great accuracy for the bearing placement due to the ill regularities of cold rolled steel. We are talking about differences from around .01mm to .0005mm. I think I’ll be able to live with .01 but I’ll never know until I try to work on some aluminum. That leaves me with a few pricey options like using precision grounded steel for rails. I looked around and the prices of those run around $100.00+ for the lengths and thickness I want. Another option would be to find surplus linear motion parts and retrofit them to fit my machine. That is probably the best option but it is against my goal of building a Hardware store cnc machine. Even though I’ll be ordering my parts online I still want the option to go to the local hardware store to pick up replacement parts in case I mess a piece up. Also, using hardware store materials keeps prices low. I’ve decided to stick with cold rolled steel for now. There are ways to get a more square finish which involves painting, sanding, grinding, and repeating. I’m prepared to go there if I need to. However, once it is built, and if I find there is too much slop, I’ll probably follow Scott’s suggestion and find some surplus linear parts to use.