[BLOG] Tech Support 180

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Over the past 3 and a half years I've been going from tech job to tech job. All of this has been done in the hopes of finding something well paying with job security in my area code. Needless to say my efforts have been somewhat futile...

At the start of 2009 I realized I'm getting sick of putting crazy amounts of effort into something that isn't materializing the way I had hoped. With this knowledge in my grasps I did something I never thought I would do....

Give up on tech support and focus my effort else where.

This may be a bit shocking to some of you since I am now entering my 5th year with Icrontic (formerly Short-media) and still have the passion for tech as if it was day 1.

You may be wondering now "what're you doing instead of tech support?!?!" well I have the answer for you....

Bartending! And as of today I am officially two days away from receiving my "Certificate of Mixology" and being a fully licensed bartender. I may not be as active as I once was in tech discussions but fear not! I have acquired vast knowledge in the art of getting people drunk and am fully prepared to launch my
recipes on the Icrontic Brewery!

Ever wondered what's in a 649 shot? How about a rocky mountain bear f*cker? Or a Harvey Wallbanger? What about a Posse Cafe? And what glasses do they go in?!?!

Watch out Icrontic Brewery! Here I come!!!!

Update: I ended up Graduating bartending school with honors, scored 98% on my final exam. w00t!

649 Shot - 6 from the left, 4 from the right, 9 from the left built into a single shooter. Great B-day drink and it's supposed to be ordered from a triple rack bar.

Rocky Mountain Bear F*cker - 1/3oz Jack Daniel's, 1/3oz Tequila, 1/3oz Southern Comfort. Just build in a shooter :)

Harvey Wallbanger - 3/4oz Vodka, OJ to fill, build in a rocks glass then float 1/4oz Galliano on top and garnish with an orange

Posse Cafe - 1/6 Grenadine, 1/6 Green Creme De Menthe, 1/6 Blue Curacao, 1/6 Cherry Brandy, 1/6 Anisette, 1/6 Cognac chilled (ideally) and layered over the back of a spoon into a posse cafe glass (basically a fancy triple shooter). Served with a coffee...You're suppose to drink a layer, chase it with your coffee and repeat.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Having done over ten years of tech support, I can say that I HIGHLY understand your disenchantment and totally love what you've done here :D

Tech is WAY better as a hobby than a job, that's for sure.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Now THAT's

:life:
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Thanks alot guys. A little pick me up is always needed :)
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    See, that's funny, cause I have been convinced that I would be happier working in IT instead of equipment engineering (building and installing equipment). Not that I dislike what I do, just that I love computers and helping people.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Bartenders have licenses?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    If you want to be at a fancy bartending place that does stuff besides schlup beers
    @ Tim: Yes, bartenders have licenses in Ontario.

The government says you need something called "Smart Serve" if you plan to serve any type of alcohol beverage in an establishment.

The certificate of Mixology is an "added bonus" because it basically says you know how to mix over 40 cocktails, know your liqueurs and flavors aswell as all the standard glasses (such as Highball, Poco, Pony, Posse Cafe). It also gives you an "insight" into flair bartending (aka bottle flipping) and some basic techniques.

I'll scan my certificate later tonight and show you all :)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Get to creating, ICSP is only a few weeks away!
  • and become a bartender....the drunks are smarter than users and i can make tips and never have to worry about getting laid off!
  • M advice would be not give up on your Tech job dream. Instead, use the available day hours you will have to go back to school and prepare yourself for the a bigger job down the road.
    @ Komete:

If I'm looking at tech as a full time career like I was. It'll be almost 3 years of full time school/cert training and frankly I just dont have the time or motivation to sit on my ass for 3 years and go back to school. Not to mention how much it would kill my interest as tech for a hobby. It doesn't much matter though...I just got back from my first job application since graduating and it couldn't of any better :p

Got a second interview this week. :rockon: