[BLOG] Well, there goes my appendix

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Hmm, I wasn't expecting that.

Went to bed wednesday night with slight stomach pain, but thought nothing of it really. People get stomach pains all the time, or, I generally do. Nothing other than eating too fast to blame. Though this time the pain didn't go away, and got worse over the hours. Up came 6AM, still hadn't fallen asleep from rolling about 'n finally decided to mention it to my parents. "It's just trapped wind. Have a painkiller and go back to sleep"

-_-

No.

So we went to the hospital at like 6:30 AM 'n the nurse tried to take blood from me. Took 5 attempts to get a needle in my vein without the canula falling out before it actually stayed, which wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been a big-ass-painful thing :tongue:

Had to stay in A&E for 2-3 hours before they could move me to a ward, where I had to wait a further 3-4 hours for them to tell me I was now allowed to eat and drink; they were gunna monitor me for another few hours, or at least til morning, before taking my appendix out.

So over about 48 hours I wasn't allowed to eat or drink for about 30 of them. Wasn't that fun when I was thirsty-as-hell to begin with when I was admitted.

Friday morning I was still not allowed to eat/drink, but I was a few hours from surgery, so I wasn't as miffed. Around 11AM surgeons came to get me, after the eleventybillionth time of telling them "Why I was here".
I got taken up to theater, and the assistant surgeons and I spent 5-10 minutes laughing at my situation at college while we waited for main surgeon guy to turn up to the OR. When he finally did, they injected anaesthetic into my arm which HURT LIKE HELL, and moments later the sleepifying gas they were pumping into my took effect. The next thing I knew was OUCH.

Woke up in an unknown room, feeling incredibly groggy. Vision was blurred and I couldn't really understand what people were saying. Within about 2-3 minutes I'd thrown up blood into a bowl and managed to get some on one of the nearby nurses (I apologised when I had my senses back :tongue:). Eventually got taken back to my ward, and I woke up a few hours later with mum waiting patiently in the chair next to me.

6-7 hours and a 2.5" scar later I got home. Not bad for such a recent cut. Though, it still hurts like hell and I can't sleep for more than a couple hours at a time yet. Could be worse I s'pose.

Some friends came over today and we had a junkfood/House M.D. fest for a few hours which was fun. Not as great as the campfire we had originally planned, but still good.
Am off college for at least a week, which normally would be great but as I have exams in less than a month its very very not good. Then again, I can claim some sort of OI-SOMETHING-WAS-WRONG-SO-MY-BRAIN-NOT-WORK-GIMME-EXTRA-GRADES-PLX-OR-SOMETHING with my exam board, apparently.

All in all. Fun.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Whoa! Glad to hear you're okay, Haru! That must have come as a huge surprise :wtf:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    wow! Glad you're okay too.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Suprise surgery, yay! :eek3:

Glad everything, um, came out ok? :wtf:

:cheers3:
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    Thanks guys

Yea, it went ok... Though the surgeons were a bit messy; they left a big red line across my stomach when they finished, 'n it hurts when I poke it :(

T'was a bit of a bummer that they don't record these things any more, or let you keep your removed organs. I requested both :D