[BLOG] The Hangover, Best R rated comedy ever

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Mrs. Forster and I rarely get out to see a feature film by ourselves. Its not to say that we don't go to the movies, we do at least once every few weeks, but normally to take our little girl to see something that is appropriate for her developing mind. So last weekend when Zoe's grandparents gave us a parental breather it was off to the movies. Upon arrival we had two options given the timing, the new Terminator film, which would normally be the type of entertainment I would go for (I like explosions), or The Hangover, a raunchy R rated comedy, which is something that I normally only indulge in after hearing some good things about the film. My opinion is that its very difficult to make a truly great R rated comedy for this generation. Nothing shocks us anymore. Mrs. Forster took the reigns, decided on The Hangover, and a week removed from seeing it, we are still talking about how riotously funny it is.

Without divulging any of the specific plot details, The Hangover at its core is a buddy comedy about four friends that have way, way too much to drink at a bachelor party. Upon awakening from the blackout, they discover they lost the groom, about a day removed from the weeding, and a frantic voyage to retrace their steps from the prior night ensues in hopes of locating the groom. What I love about the film is in how its not just a collection of dirty jokes, its actually a well thought out, elaborate comedic script, which happens to contain some ranch that actually will catch the audience off guard. In other words, your going to find yourself laughing, over and over, and sometimes at things you kinda think you shouldn't be laughing at, but its so brilliantly presented, you just can't help yourself.

So, the primary point I want to illustrate with this entry is this. There are a few really amazing gems in R rated comedy. In more recent years, Something about Mary, American Pie and the 40 Year Old Virgin all come to mind. As great as all of those films are, The Hangover is simply the best, most cleverly devised, riotously laugh out loud R rated comedy I have ever seen. If you don't mind a good dirty joke, do yourself a favor, drop the little one off at Grandma's and go see this movie.

Comments