Need a camera recommendation

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Lifestyle
Halp.
My wife and I are going to have some big things coming up in the next couple of years. This year we want to invest in a nice digital camera. The cell phone pictures just suck. We want the quality of something like an EOS or whatever the hot ticket dslr while having the convenience of being easy to use on a near point and shoot noob level. We want it to take video as well. I'm willing to invest a chunk of change in to this and I expect it to last me 3-6 years.

I lurk this thread a lot and I just get astonished at how good some of you guys are with photography and how much you know, so I thought this would be the place to ask. What do I get? Amazon links preferred so I can make the referral happen.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I know mostly about canon, so I'd recommend one of these:

canon s100 (or the last model, the s95)
    canon g12 (or the last model, the g11)

(about the same quality wise, biggest difference is form factor) both of these are point-and-shoot style, but have a better sensor, which can help take "better" pictures

You should also look at some of the micro 4/3s EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) offerings.

Check out Olympus's PEN series. I'm not sure what's best.

www.dpreview.com is a good place to compare cameras.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    The G11 is my walkaround camera. If you need 720p video, you can get the G12, but there's not strictly any particular reason to go for it if you don't need that.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    Look at some of the compact body/interchangeable lens systems out there.
    Olympus PEN series
    Sony NEX series
    Panasonic DMC-G
    Nikon _1 series

Look on dpreview.com
    Lots of good data to help you shorten the list before you head into stores.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    From what i've heard, the nikon 1 series isn't very good for the price.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    My mother got a Nikon 1 for Christmas and I have toyed around with it a bit. It has a few tricks up its sleeve, being a compact SLR, but for the money I'll take the Cannon G12 over it. The Nikon 1's low light performance is so so at best, its overall automatic performance was lacking, it's definitely more suited for a photographer that has some experience. (I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm not an expert).

Save about $170 and consider the G12 if your looking for a compact but capable shooter that delivers on both stills and video.
  • Went with a Sony RX-100 after months of research, waiting, and consideration. It's a 5-8 year investment in to good pictures. The shots I've taken so far make me feel like it was totally worth it. Thank's for the advice fellllers.