Burr Grinder recommendations?

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Food & Drink
I need a burr grinder. I have a WalMart gift card which I'd like to use to get it. Anyone have experience with what they offer, or should I hold out for a legit one and just get a cheap blade grinder to get me by?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I bought laura a capresso infinity for christmas 2 years ago and it's still going strong.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I bought the Capresso 560 Infinity burr grinder last October on Amazon. Best investment I've made in awhile. It makes a wonderful grind for french press.

I've been told by many ( @primesuspect included) that when it comes to burr grinders, accept no substitute for legit ones. Everyone seems to have lots of luck with Capresso, lasting for years and years with consistent grinds.

If you must use the WalMart gift card, I'd say go for the La Pavoni if available. I'd still recommend saving for a Capresso though.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    If they have a Black and Decker one, that works fine, and there is a Krups one that works very well. I would recommend probably a glass catching part, as it helps prevent the static-clinging grounds problem you get with plastic. But, coffee grinding is messy no matter what. As long as it is a Burr Grinder, you are doing much better than most of the people out there that are using blade grinders, getting irregular-sized grounds, but think they're cool because they grind their own coffee. Just get a good well-trusted brand. Doesn't need to be that expensive.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Stay away from the Cuisinart high-speed burr grinders. They make a lot of dust in addition to whatever grind setting you had it set to. The dosing on mine had two settings: too much and not enough. And no, running not enough twice did not make just right.
  • I, too, have a Capresso Infinity and love it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Sorry, I missed this.

I've purchased two Capresso burr grinders for offices and I love them. They're fantastic.