HSF recommendation for i7-950

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
In need of a new HSF for the i7 system, it is still running on the stock HSF. I am currently running in the mid 80s full load range during the day, forcing me to back off on the number of cores in use for Folding. This system is also used for sound processing and editing, so the stock HSF is not really up to par for even that work. I am not very well versed in HSF units for Intel CPUs, hence the need to ask.

Complete system specs in case there is a problem with a particular HSF and motherboard (or case):

Intel i7-950 Bloomfield LGA1366
12gig Corsair RAM
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
AMD Radeon HD6850
Cooler Master CM690 II Basic (I LOVE THIS CASE)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

This thing is an absolute bargain. Huge performance for peanuts.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Considering the price point, that Cooler Master may very well be what I end up getting next week.
    Also, is Artic Silver still the word for thermal paste?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Everything I've seen indicates that they are all withing <5 degrees of each other in terms of performance.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-March-2011/1207/5

(that one doesn't have AS5, but you can assume)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

This thing is an absolute bargain. Huge performance for peanuts.
    The next level is Noctua-ish, right? Any performance gains are minimal/negligible?
    The Cooler Master comes with generic thermal compound, but I think I have a tube of AS5 sitting in one of the still unpacked boxes (we moved in Sept. 1) up here in the loft.
    Screw the new cooler master, I am going to go old school and throw on a OCZ Gladiator with Delta 60mm aka the finger remover.
    Well, ordering the Cooler Master today, thank god for PayPal cause my card is still linked to my address in Florida. Will let y'all know about performance once its installed. Using Referral Link for some money goodness to the site.
  • Screw the new cooler master, I am going to go old school and throw on a OCZ Gladiator with Delta 60mm aka the finger remover.
    Hahaha, the finger remover. Reminds me when I bought a bunch of Vantec Tornado fans and used them as case fans. When I cranked them all the way up it was a true multipurpose machine.

Dusting, increased room circulation, jet engine sound effect substitute, oh, and it kept my PC running good too.

ROFL! I had a case with four (4) YS Tech 120mm 125.5 CFM fans and the Delta 60mm on the HSF, had to eventually buy a fan controller to keep my eyeballs from vibrating.

I remember someone in the old school, local Icrontic staff (pre/post Apu's Hardware Era) that had some of the Vantec fans and yes, they were just as bad and awesome.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I mostly work on AMD PC's but I can vouch for the Hyper 212 as well in the category of "good n cheap" I can also Recommend the Corsair CAFA50 in the category of "good n cheap", right now it is $19.99 after rebate and I can vouch that Corsair actually honors their rebates unlike some other company's I've dealt with recently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181012
    @Cliff_Forster I am going with the Cooler Master as I have previous experience with their products; going with that I know this time around.
  • @pigflipper - You will find the Hyper 212 offers amazing bang for the buck. For smaller heat loads I'll buy OEM CPU's up to 95 watts and I'll pop a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 on it. For the price you can't argue with them.