Intel CPU Discussions Thread.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
Looks like Ivy Bridge is almost around the corner, Newegg is aggressively selling off Socket 1155 LGA Sandy Bridge CPUs and motherboards (just starting to cut them deeper). Wild guess as to release?? Given Newegg's move and other info, 2nd Quarter (thanks Thrax, see next post) this year for release.

I titled this thread loosely deliberately. It's for ongoing stuff from Intel, particularly CPUs and motherboards. Anyone with Ivy Bridge knowledge is welcome to post here about it to start things off.

John.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Ivy Bridge debuts in the channel in April. It supports existing LGA1155 motherboards.

//EDIT: New mobos based on the Intel Z77 chipset are coming, though. USB 3 and PCIe 3.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ivy Bridge debuts in the channel in April. It supports existing LGA1155 motherboards.

//EDIT: New mobos based on the Intel Z77 chipset are coming, though. USB 3 and PCIe 3.
    Thanks, was surfing when you posted your post. Here is more info about them:

Maximum PC, Tom's Hardware, and X-bit Labs info.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    With the modest desktop improvements and so far modest price reductions for Sandy Bridge, I'm glad I scored a 2500K on Black Friday and didn't wait for Ivy Bridge. Looking forward to them in Ultrabooks, though. If the rumors of "Retina Quality" displays on these Ultrabooks are true, double-excited.
    It's only going to happen if Apple does it first with the MBA or Macbook, which is a distinct possibility.
    edited January 2012
    Newegg has 2500Ks for sale, but they are out of stock. Price?? $229.95.

Newegg 2500K Link

2600Ks are $324.95.

Newegg 2600K Link
    edited January 2012
    If it were not an in store only item, would be sorely tempted by $279.99 for the 2600K.
    I have discovered that the (so-called second-gen Sandy Bridge) Sandy Bridge-E i7 CPUs are 32nm fab process, and most have a Intel Graphics 3000 GPU integrated in them. They have same Cache size for L2 (per core) cache, but the L3 Cache is 8 MB. More about these later.

First-gen i7 series are 45 nm fab process. They have smaller L3 Cache and consume more power than the i7 Sandy Bridge E's do. I think they do not hyper-thread, the Second-gen ones DO Hyper-thread.
    All Core i7s have hyperthreading.

Ivy Bridge is 22nm.
    That would be a Core i5, not a Core i7.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I don't see an i7-2300, only i5-2300 at Intel.com
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    If I'm considering a new build, is the 3930K worth the upgrade over the 2700K, in anybody's opinion? And 1155 is supported through Ivy Bridge, right?
    edited January 2012
    The 3930k is not an upgrade at all. The performance, especially in games, is extremely similar for more than twice the price from a platform perspective.

Ivy Bridge will be a socket 1155 part (like Sandy Bridge), but it remains to be seen if mobo vendors will update their BIOS. They really should, since z77 is an incremental upgrade and the CPU itself hasn't changed features that would require a new pinout of the 1155 LGA.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    That's what I was figuring. No real need for an extra two cores in my workflows right now anyway.
    Well, Xbitlabs was showing that the first four Ivy Bridges out will be Socket 2011 parts last I looked. What is out now for Socket 1155 is Sandy Bridge (gen-one, being closed out) and Sandy Bridge-E is phasing in now.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Well, Xbitlabs was showing that the first four Ivy Bridges out will be Socket 2011 parts last I looked. What is out now for Socket 1155 is Sandy Bridge (gen-one, being closed out) and Sandy Bridge-E is phasing in now.
    There will be Ivy Bridge (1155) and Ivy Bridge-E (2011) in March/April 2012 and Q4 2012, respectively.
    There will be Ivy Bridge (1155) and Ivy Bridge-E (2011) in March/April 2012 and Q4 2012, respectively.
    That straightens that out, thanks @Tushon.

This one is entitled Intel (aka Goliath) wins, AMD retreats.... Looks like Intel's path is ahead of time a win for them in big computing sectors (desktops, tablets perhaps for some of them).
    edited March 2012
    An article on preliminary research about the new Xeon E5-2600 series.

This is interesting, especially the bops compare of new chips vs older Westmere Xeons and the floating point specs (only a prelim few ideas given) and large cache size. They are, even more interesting to those on a limited budget perhaps, still Sandy Bridge chips.
    I wonder what the folding performance will be like:
    In our latest round of SPECjbb2005 tests with a new JVM, the Westmere-EP-based Xeon X5680 scores about 880K bops. The Xeon E5-2690, meanwhile, scores roughly 1.4 million bops. That's quite a nice improvement from one generation to the next, I'd say. Stay tuned for a full review.
    Since folding uses FPU also, in CPU chips, it should be interesting to see what they come up with for FLOPS numbers in their developed articles. That FLOPS benching is likely to play lots into Folding(Yes, I understand that need in Folding.). But raw numbers will be 16 threads(folding cores) per CPU chip for SMP.

Folding uses Cores supposedly, but with multithreading cores that work multiple threads in parallel per core, uses threads as cores for SMP purposes as with the 2600k which has four cores with parallel thread processing times two per core. The Folding client and FAHControl are using as an SMP 8-core CPU automatically for the v7 betas so far.

The chips will be targeted at dual-socket server or dual-socket workstation Sandy Bridge boards according to TR. They are 8 core chips, 2 threads in parallel per core.
    Cinebench benchmarks for various processors. Cinebench is a rendering benchmark and will do until someone finds FLOPS numbers.

Note also, the conclusion about the dual E5-2690 system and the quad AMD , which I will quote Johan De Galas writing for Anandtech about:
    And if you want top performance, Intel is the only option. Case in point: a dual Xeon E5-2690 comes close to what a Quad Opteron 6276 can deliver, with the dual Xeon scoring 24.7 while the quad Opteron scores 26.4.
    Ivy Bridge is a pretty big disappointment for enthusiasts. So was Sandy Bridge-E. I guess we'll see what Haswell brings in 2013.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I was hoping to rebuild my PC this summer. Guess I'm riding the 1090T train for a little while longer.
    Ivy Bridge is a pretty big disappointment for enthusiasts. So was Sandy Bridge-E. I guess we'll see what Haswell brings in 2013.
    So if I'm looking to put together a system, I'd have to go back to a i7-2600K?
    Recommended. IVB and SNB offer equal performance clock for clock, and SNB is a better OCer.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    From what I've seen, the i7-3820 is comparable to the i7-2600. I guess the differences are that SNB has the fully unlocked multipliers and SNB-E has PCIe 3.0?
    edited April 2012
    SNB-E and SNB both have unlocked multipliers in the K series. SNB-E has triple-channel RAM (irrelevant), multi-CPU support, PCIe3 and more PCIe x16 lanes.

• ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Some more information about Haswell has leaked out. Looks like it's scheduled for early June '13 and will be based on LGA-2011 and LGA-1150 sockets.
    Via http://wccftech.com/arctic-cooling-leaks-complete-intel-haswell-lga1150-cpu-lineup-core-i73980x-confirmed-lga2011/

Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything else regarding Haswell. Looks like it'll be an improvement from Ivy Bridge, but I'm curious to see how much. I'm getting the itch to put together a new system and hand the old down, but it sounds like Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge will still be strong contenders. Still not sure this is something worth waiting for, too early to tell?