Introducing the new ICHQ

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Community
Today @Lincoln closed on a house in the Woodbridge neighborhood of Detroit.

It's an incredibly big undertaking. The house needs major renovations. We are on the shoestring of all shoestring budgets. It will be years before the house is "done".

Thanks to some legwork by @WagsFTW, we discovered a bit about the history of the house. It was built in 1899, and now Lincoln, myself, @troublebaker, @freshyp, and @redburn are going to be the next in a long line of owners throughout Detroit history.

The city inspection was a bit grim; they want us to have quite a bit fixed before we are legally allowed to move in. It's going to take a fantastic amount of money and an even greater amount of elbow grease to make this happen.

But we're up for it. We can't wait to introduce you guys to our new home.

Comments

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Congratulations, you guys. Very excited about this home. Maybe we can find a picture of Daniel Sullivan to put up. Can't wait to follow the adventures and see how it will come along. <3 Will be well worth the efforts in the end, filled with a sense of true Detroit pride. You have a great community of friendships here that will help you guys every step of the way.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    $50.00 will be coming in about 2 weeks, call it an advance "supporter" payment if you want.
    Any more would-be subscribers?

John.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    That place looks bloody amazing, and a home with history too that's brilliant! Good luck with the renovations eh!
    Should raise money to put up plaques or something, with IC member names who donated. I believe Lincoln mentioned something about sponsoring rooms.
    Also, I can very easily picture a group of Icrontians hanging out on that porch.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to reply to this without an expletive.

Does that work? Also, I want to help. Congratulations.
    Creeperbane2
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I'll donate to the cause if I get to name the front door knob "Kenkel's Knob", which everyone will be forced to touch upon entry to the new ICHQ. I expect a small plaque designating it as such.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    Make sure you take lots of videos as you go, then at EPIC 2030 we can watch the house renovation montage and say "Boy that didn't take that long" The music to the montage has to be the same as from the montage from "Revenge of the Nerds"...montage.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Gratz guys, the place looks sick! I'd love to help if I can O.o
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    what is the wild guess of when this actually becomes the ICHQ?

reason, it is time to start planning Expo so people know where to get their hotels and will the venue be Tracey's again?

also, nice house :D
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    I hope its not haunted.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    ^^^Same here, ever need some good old fashioned Canadian elbow grease and hard labour then I'm your Canuck :D

Also donations, once I've got Uni payed for I'll see about any leftovers :DD
  • @WagsFTW - first thing I thought when I looked at the picture, I want to chill and have a beer on that awesome porch. Good for you guys.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Let me know if you need any help. I spent my childhood helping my dad restore a century old house, and I thus became an undisputed expert at holding the worklight and passing tools while another person does real work.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    And my "kid brother" Steve (He is thirty something years old.) lives in Metamora area and restores and expands and repairs houses for a living. His house is a 100+ year old farmhouse he in essence rebuilt the inside of and a good bit of the outside.

He has two friends in business with him. Prime or Lincoln can email me if they are interested in getting in touch with him. Steve might be willing to help some or advise about things.

John.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    and I thus became an undisputed expert at holding the worklight and passing tools while another person does real work.
    Speaking as his wife... he doesn't do a very good job at that...

On a serious note though, awesome house. And I am actually handy and can help if you need extra hands.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    That's awesome! Good luck with the renovations! Can't wait to see the results.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I've been following the tale on Into Detroit, and it's been very exciting. So glad you guys are doing this. I can't wait to actually GO to the D for upcoming Icrontic events.

Congrats.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    ^^^Same here, ever need some good old fashioned Canadian elbow grease and hard labour then I'm your Canuck :D

Also donations, once I've got Uni payed for I'll see about any leftovers :DD
    Probably before the house is done. Much congratulations
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I am so freaking excited for you guys. I can't wait to see the place and help out with the fixing up.

I'll sponsor the garage. If Kenkel's got the front, who's got the rear entry?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Also low interest home improvement loans on that site: http://www.michigan.gov/mshda/0,1607,7-141-49317_50737---,00.html
    The district is registered with the National Register for Historic Places. I would about guarantee if they were to go through getting a historic grant, the renovations would be at least 10 times more expensive, to get the house to its historic integrity. Worth a shot, though, just out of curiosity, if you could get any renovation grant money.

Another idea, is to see if you can locate the current Sullivan family members, and offer them a tour of their grandfather/great-grandfather's home and if they want to help in any way to restore it. I know if someone that were restoring any of my family members' homes, I would love to be a part of that. I may be an anomaly, though. ;)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I am so freaking excited for you guys. I can't wait to see the place and help out with the fixing up.

I'll sponsor the garage. If Kenkel's got the front, who's got the rear entry?
    I'll approach from the rear
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Just to be clear that this endeavor is not all smiles and rainbows:

We're in deep.

It's going to take more than the three of us can pull together to make this happen.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If only there was an easy way for us to donate / buy parts of the house... :)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I suggest a lot of child labor and possibly prostitution.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So what's everybody doing this weekend?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    If I can impart some advice, having just recently bought a house that required work (though nothing of this magnitude).

Break it off into small chunks. Discernible tasks make it much easier to handle. I'm sure @Lincoln is good with that.

Also, don't start with the biggest damn thing. Try and build some momentum. I know you guys are looking at a contractor for the renovations, but I'm sure you'll be doing a good bit of work. Knock off a few of the smaller, easier things if possible. The more visible the better. It will make it feel like you've made tangible gains.

When all else fails, don't be afraid to call it a night. Don't work from 8am 'til 10pm every night in a rush to get things done unless you have to and even then, budget your time. It's really easy to forget how much or little time you have.

Most of this sounds like general advice about life, I guess, but it really does help if you do the visible tasks when you can.

Also, after reading about the garage roof, I can actually help replace that. It wouldn't be the first roof I've had to replace. It's really not all that bad/hard.

Can't wait to see the new place in March and help you guys out.