Icrontic EVE Discussion

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Yes. An EVE achievement is needed.

@snarkasm You can play pretty much from the get-go. This PDF, while silly, is a good guide for noobs.

cdn.goonfleet.com/newbies/newbieguide-final.pdf
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Okay, so what should the badge look like? I'd rather get player input into it instead of me just making it the "EVE logo" or whatever.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    Perhaps something generic like http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/games/pages/eve-logo.shtml

Or you could use one of the race logos? http://images.wikia.com/eve/images/e/ea/Minmatar_logo.png

I don't know what goes into making buttons :p
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Clearly the badge should feature the most popular ship in the game.... the rifter

Speaking of, I really need to order a RIFTER vanity plate for my car.
    I like that
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    So, I just had my account paid for ingame by someone from Haru's corp, in a way where it pretty much cost nothing. Not gonna say who or how, but I will say this- they're certainly the most supportive bunch I've had the privilege to play with yet.

If you see an "Akihira" ingame, that's my new name on there.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Tushon Ormand, in game
    Tried sending a mail, it cannae find you
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Tsika Raspaard in game. My life got a lot easier once I realized closer was not always better for pew pewing your enemies. I hit 1000% better when I moved from 500m orbits to 5000m orbits.
    Elysse Ormand ... I had to kill the tushon character for newbish reasons.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Tsika Raspaard in game. My life got a lot easier once I realized closer was not always better for pew pewing your enemies. I hit 1000% better when I moved from 500m orbits to 5000m orbits.
    Check the optimal range for your guns. Right click on one of them, show info, and look in the attributes.
    Aye, the nitty gritty mechanics of EVE are a PITA to get to grips with because its all physics and mathematics. I've got a third-party guide to EVE and its ring bound and bigger than a phone book (highly recommend if you've some cash lying around - http://www.eonmagazine.co.uk/isk-volume-1-24.html)
    So, I keep seeing you guys talk about mission running as a good money maker with a decently low "time cost" right? Or was I mistaken in interpreting it that way? I'm going to be doing the rest of the "sample" training missions, but want to make sure I don't start barking down a total grinding path.
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, missions level 1 through three are fairly easy though get progressively and notably harder (and therefore longer), and they're the best way to make money and get familiar with combat in the game when you're fresh out of the gate.

This being said, they're a hell of a grind to get through the levels of missions - they missions themselves only take a few minutes but to get enough standing with particular agents to move on to the next difficulty can take some time. It depends how avidly you run them I guess.

In the long term you may want to move away from missions, but the harder difficulty ones later are fun apparently, so its up to you
    edited March 2012
    Do the tutorial missions for free stuff. Mission running can be a grind, but not nearly as bad as mining. You could start putting points into astrometrics and related skills and do scan complexes which can be very lucrative and is more stimulating than mission running. There are ancillary benefits to mission running for the same NPC corporation though such as being able to refine tax-free and install jump clones. You won't be able to get your standing that high until you start running lots of level 4 missions though, at which point you could just do incursions.

It really depends on what you want to do in EVE. If you want to be a empire industry captain you need high standings which means grinding missions. If you just want to pew pew people you don't need standing at all.

One of the nice things about EVE is that you're not locked into whatever choices you make now. The toon I'm playing now started life as an industrialist to manage research jobs and had most of her skill points in science and industry. Later, I decided I wanted to expand her role to do inventions which requires high standing with certain NPC corps to access their R & D agents, so I started putting skill points into PvE combat and grinding up standing. Before I really got into doing invents I joined Harudath's corp and started putting SP into piloting incursion-class ships. Now that that's done, I'm raising her PvP combat skills. My advice to you is to get all your basics covered because changing purpose is a lot easier when all the common requirements are already met. That, and train Cybernetics 4 and try to bum a set of +4 attribute implants off of Harudath.
    Thanks much for the advice
    Do the tutorial missions, which will lead you into the Sisters of Eve epic arc. That arc will really get you familiarized with mission running, and will net you a decent amount of isk (especially if you salvage the wrecks from the ships you destroy)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    You have to beware of higher level missions since they have "triggers" for the next spawn and you can royally mess yourself up if you do it wrong. www.eve-survival.org has a good guide on every mission and the best way to complete them...

Another thing to note is if you do mission running for a particular faction for long enough other factions will hate you. Take my character for example, I've run minmatar missions for ages and now have a -4.71 faction standing with Amarr...

If you hit -5.0 standing with a particular faction you'll be shot on sight by there partols if you enter there sector.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    There's apparently a combination of optimal range + falloff range that you're better off at, or so my experience would appear - i.e. my optimal range on current guns is 3km, but my falloff is 3.6km, and I'm doing good damage at 7-8km range.

The market REALLY confused me right out of the gate when all I wanted was ammo, but I got the hang of it. Gonna run through the rest of the introductory missions soon. Free stuff woo
    There's apparently a combination of optimal range + falloff range that you're better off at, or so my experience would appear - i.e. my optimal range on current guns is 3km, but my falloff is 3.6km, and I'm doing good damage at 7-8km range.
    This phenomenon is related to the tracking speed of your turrets. You can (I don't) set up your overview to show angular velocity in addition to name, range, etc and compare this to the tracking speed of your turrets.

edited March 2012
    Minmatar guns work on optimal + falloff as the range within which you can realistically expect to hit something (excluding other factors like size and tracking). Optimal + falloff + falloff has a 0% chance of hitting anything. I think its 100% at optimal, 75% optimal + tracking and you guys can take it from there :p
    I don't know about the other gun types because I've never used them, though I can tell you missiles work on explosion radius vs signature radius (size of ship)

400m explosion radius missile vs a 400m sig radius ship = 100% damage inflicted. 400m vs 200m = 50% damage, etc, etc.

The same applies for normal ammunition but to a lesser extent.

Internet spaceships is srs bsns.

Oh, and @snarkasm, the market still confuses me :p
    All turrets work the same way. If you don't want to do math you should be a Caldari missile spammer. You don't have to worry about signature radius most of the time, just missile range.
    Aye, missiles have a flight time and a max velocity - flight time * velocity = range. Fly a Drake if you don't care about any of the above :D
    Death to all Drakes

Instacanes for lyfe :P
    *Hurricane brudda fist bump*
    *fistbump*

(of course, that said, I did just train into a Drake since Drakefleet has been making a comeback lately. My Drake hasn't seen action yet though whereas my Instacane has racked up a few kills. What I really want to get out there in right now is my Hound)
    Yeah, I use a passive Hurricane to do wormhole sites and its just not got a scratch on the Drake, unfortunately. Training 6 alts to fly a drake makes me feel like I'm clubbing baby seals, but it has to be done to make the money, right?

X_X

Always fly a cane for PvP though. Well, cane or a loki, depends on the situation/probability of death :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Moonspeak
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    EVE has been calling me back. I used to fly a Nemesis and wreck shit with my missiles, but I think if I return I would reroll and start over.
    Come speak moon with us, Prime. You too, Gate28. Doors are wide open :p