Icrontic EVE Discussion

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    pew pew :D
  • So I was already on the edge of jumping in to EVE (have been for some time) and then today I had lunch with a few coworkers and half of the conversation was about EVE.

So, who has an invite they could send my way?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    ido, ido, what's your email?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    @ardichoke

TiberiusLazarus at gmail dot yourmom
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Invited :D
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    man, I knew they were registering a bunch of stupid top level domains ... but .yourmom is going too far

/sarcasm
    Yaaaaaaaaaaay Jimmy! Come pew pew with me!
  • Downloading now. Hopefully it will be ready when I get home.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    I've played this game on and off. The last time, I ended up just skilling up a new character and do some trading to finance it. It turned out to be a good way to make ISK, but I realized I still don't like the core gameplay of getting and flying a ship--it's numerical and time consuming, and not immersive for me. I'm sure with the right group it's a blast.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    I caved and reactivated my account.
    Character name is Malcolm Thrace. Looking forward to playing with friends again.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    w00t! I'm glad we're getting even more people in EVE
  • Oh right, character name.

Tiberius Kross.

Still going through the starter missions. Haven't put a whole lot of time in yet but what I have done hasn't been unbearable.
    Have both of you joined the corp "Sonic Intoxication" yet?
  • Nein.
    You should. That's where all the cool Icrontians hang out :P
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    My character's name is Welch Vineyard.
    Will probably be asking more newbie questions as we go along (or is there a good FAQ/new players guide I may have overlooked?):

Do you typically have to outfit your ship differently for every mission? Just a sampling of the "training" missions would indicate that you do, but that may become less relevant if mission running becomes more "of the same type" rather than "go here and salvage while fighting off a couple pirates" on one mission then "remote repair while fighting off pirates" or getting ships with more slots/power/whatever else it needs for fittings.
    It varies. I buy a ship and outfit it to fill a role supported by the ship's inherent bonuses and attributes. For instance, I have a PvE combat mission ship for running L1-L2 (Ishkur), one for running L3 (Myrmidon), and one for running L4 (Talos). I used to have another ship that was dedicated to mission cleanup (Catalyst) back when I did missions for money but since now I do them for standing time to completion is more important. I have a DPS ship for PvP (Talos) and a DPS ship for doing Incursions (Vindicator). I have a ship for mining (Retriever) and a couple of ships for hauling (Viator, Iteron Mk V). The list here is for Welch, a Gallente pilot, but each race has a decent selection of ships and finding a couple that fit these roles are not hard. As you put ranks into your spaceship command skills you get access to more different ships. Welch used to have an Incursus for L1 and a Vexor for L2 but both were replaced by the Ishkur. I might do the same for L3/L4 and an Ishtar.

For the ships that fight, I will typically have tanking modules that raise my ship's resistances towards the enemies I expect to be fighting. If I know my agent will be handing out missions vs a variety of rats, I'll have modules for each different type and swap out when I get the mission brief (which tells you what you're going to be facing).
    Thanks for the info, I definitely have some digging to do
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    For a starting player getting in to running basic missions, it's usually a good idea to have a dedicated ships for mission types. Try and work up to a Cruiser for L1 and L2 missions, and get a Destroyer fit with tractor beams and salvagers to clean up the mission once the enemies are dead but before you turn it in. Switching ships is faster than trying to use an all-in-one ship to kill baddies and then clean up after the battle.
    Why not the destroyer for the baddies? The only destroyer I have has something like 8 turret hardpoints - you don't bring that to battle?
    Destroyers take full damage from both frigate and cruiser-sized weapons. They do a lot of damage but have no survivability.
    Ree-hee-heally...

So much to learn. Have to finish the intro missions.
    For a starting player getting in to running basic missions, it's usually a good idea to have a dedicated ships for mission types. Try and work up to a Cruiser for L1 and L2 missions, and get a Destroyer fit with tractor beams and salvagers to clean up the mission once the enemies are dead but before you turn it in. Switching ships is faster than trying to use an all-in-one ship to kill baddies and then clean up after the battle.
    Okay, so the idea would be
    1) make active the appropriate ship to attack/kill target
    2) fly back to station and change out to a salvage ship
    3) fly back out to target area and empty out the cargo holds/salvage the ships
    4) back to base, turn in original mission

Sound about right?
    Application is in.
    Okay, so the idea would be
    1) make active the appropriate ship to attack/kill target
    2) fly back to station and change out to a salvage ship
    3) fly back out to target area and empty out the cargo holds/salvage the ships
    4) back to base, turn in original mission

Sound about right?
    2) bookmark a loot can in each pocket of your mission
    3) fly back to station and turn in the mission, swap out to salvage ship
    4) fly to each bookmark in turn and loot/salvage
    5) back to base

The advantage of doing it this way is that you will be able to put a microwarpdrive on your salvage ship instead of having to putter around on afterburner. If you're serious about looting and salvaging, train for a Noctis.
    Awesome. Thanks again (I'm sure this will not be the last time)
    Haru, Dras, what are your character names?