My system's not running as well as I'd imagined.

Evelon277Evelon277 Canada
edited March 2012 in Hardware
My specs are:
Graphics card: HIS 6950HD 2GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
Power supply: 650W that came with older system, not high-end at all.
Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

I made this system specifically for gaming, as it runs things really well on high settings (BF3 ultra 30+ FPS constant) I see on reviews for graphics cards that aren't as good (HD6850 for example) that get the same performance as I do in games. I feel as if it should be performing better than a 6850 (even though it's a great card).
Does anyone know if this is normal, or know why it's happening? It'd be much appreciated if you'd give me a little insight, thanks. :)
My graphics card gets to 70C - 80C while under load.
Also, windows rating is 5.9, if that matters any. Lowest subscore is my hard drive which has a disk data transfer rate of 5.9, it says.

Comments

• Also, sorry if this doesn't make sense or I left something out, it's 2 AM where I am, and I'm hella tired. :/ Good night, Icrontic!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Hard drives can be pretty bad bottlenecks. You might turn off paging for shiggles and see what happens. Also, try to keep it no more than half-full if you're relying on it for performance.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    What GPU driver?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    What anti-virus software are you running?
  • I thought it might have been my hard drive.
    GPU driver is the latest AMD drivers, 12.2.
    Anti-virus is just Windows Firewall/Windows Defender.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Hard drive seems unlikely, unless something else is running at the same time.

When you're comparing performance to a review, you need to be aware of a lot of things:
    cpu speed, brand, number of cores, etc
    amount/speed of memory
    resolution (this has a huge impact)
    all video settings (in game and in catalyst control center)
    etc
    What kind of framerates are you seeing?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Oh yeah, also, what are you seeing that's indicative of lower performance. That is, what's it doin'?
  • 30 FPS on ultra BF3, 50 on high.
    Should I tweak my Catalyst settings?
    Midga, it says in the post that my framerates are equivalent to rigs with worse cards.
    This isn't really a huge problem, I still play my games fine, but if my system can do better, I'd like it to. (Without overclocking, it gets hot enough already)
    One of the things about BF3 that most people don't know is that its implementation of multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA), is absolutely awful. The game already contains an excellent (and much faster) anti-aliasing technology called FXAA, which does anti-aliasing after the scene has already been rendered. This is BF's post-processing AA option.

Anyone that runs the game on ultra should disable deferred AA and set post-processing AA to high for a crapload of extra performance and no reduction in visual quality.

Doing two AA passes is just dumb and I don't know why BF3 does it.